• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, Bonafé has a semi-bespoke program that I have not tried yet though, but I will during my next visit there.

Is this only in person or do they communicate with pictures and test shoes like some of the other makers?

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think many say goodyear welted for handwelted, even though the two are very different.

diadem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
No, I'm aware of the differences. I was just wondering if there was a cheaper option than the €1100 starting price for handwelted shoes. For the record, I think that's a very good price as is.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah ok.

I believe some makers may have parts of the shoe made by machine, but that is as far as I know not too common. In Japan I know of one maker where you can have the sole sewn on by machine, which reduces the cost of 30 000 yen.
If you have your own last made by Bonafe previously I don't think they would mind doing a blake stitched shoe, but can't remember seeing a goodyear machine there.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Is this only in person or do they communicate with pictures and test shoes like some of the other makers?

Only in person when visiting their factory. But as @j ingevaldsson suggests, we hope to offer this service in store some day, I cannot comment on when though, as this requires quite a lot of training.

barky

Reaction score
Only in person when visiting their factory. But as @j ingevaldsson suggests, we hope to offer this service in store some day, I cannot comment on when though, as this requires quite a lot of training.
Is there a test shoe for the semi-bespoke? Can we do this through Skoak even if we go there personally as payment and shipping from Italy might be problematic for non EU customers? Also, sorry to repeat the question here but do Bonafe offer hatchgrain and if yes, is there any sample to show?

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of prices, have you had a look at Sleevehead's blog? The prices he quotes for bespoke clothes made in Sicily made me smile. If there are shoemakers still working on the isle, Bonafé won't be the best price-quality deal from Italy. Sicily being mafia area, likely artisans there don't pay much in the way of taxes. Only for "protection"...

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Speaking of prices, have you had a look at Sleevehead's blog? The prices he quotes for bespoke clothes made in Sicily made me smile. If there are shoemakers still working on the isle, Bonafé won't be the best price-quality deal from Italy. Sicily being mafia area, likely artisans there don't pay much in the way of taxes. Only for "protection"...

Your suggesting that cement shoes are cheaper than leather?:facepalm:

Last edited:

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm suggesting that perhaps there is a shoemaker or two still doing their thing in Sicily, making shuus by hand in a similar way as those on the continental side, but charging less for their time. This is why Sleevehead visits Italy time and again: excellent deals for those who don't mind the trouble.

Reero

Reaction score
Sicily does have just that, sandal makers there in Taoromina have been targeted to teach the trade to americans who then open up shop and start making these using there raw products and raising the prices, its only time when the shoes are doing the same so buy them while you can.

Reero

Reaction score
Very nice love the color, what does this style cost delivered to USA if you don not mind thanks Lorenzo

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very nice love the color, what does this style cost delivered to USA if you don not mind thanks Lorenzo

Skoaks website provides price in USD which is ex-vat. Add on about $40-50 for shipping.

Reero

Reaction score
When I was there in June they pointed out a Goodyear machine they had purchased, but they will do a Goodyear welt by hand also only difference is machine or hand

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

When I was there in June they pointed out a Goodyear machine they had purchased, but they will do a Goodyear welt by hand also only difference is machine or hand

I know this has been said a dozen times before but misinformation is misinformation...and slowly but surely it degrades real information:

Goodyear welt, by definition, is not/cannot be done by hand. Even if they decide to sew the welt to gemming. Without the Goodyear machine it is not Goodyear welting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads