• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elegant people in Venice

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not one for stereotypes but i did have a fantastic sartorial time in Venice.....
I have spotted more Brioni ,Kiton and people with proprely tailored suits than anywhere else in the world
worship.gif

The shopping experience on San marco was delightful with the usual suspects :Chanel,Louis Vuitton,Fendi,Versace but also a lot of smaller shops like Duca del Aosta or La Coupole offering Kiton,Brioni and many others....
I bought a delightful Kiton and my wife came back with a Louis Vuitton .....
I did manage to do well inRoma not being tempted by anything and receiving an awful welcome at Louis Vuitton Roma.....
Venice is ultra expensive but people are polite which is not the case in Roma la bella..

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is true dress and life in general is on a very hight aethetic standard. Maybe that is because Venice has had a communist gouvernment ever since the war...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People are extremely welcoming and that was a major surprise....
They're proud of their town and also making sure that you do enjoy your stay,which is surprising for a major touristic town............
I have been to Roma and the Romanista were difficult,impatient and also quite rude despite the fact i did speak to them in Italian (not perfect Italian but i made an effort!!!!!!!!!!!)...
In Venice,The men were wearing tailored and well-fitted elegant suits and the ladies were quite elegant..........
The shop assistans were polite and patient and as pushy as in other big cities...
The town is very elegant and also ultra-expensive but the service is high-standard....

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Venice is by far my favourite city on this planet. Everything you say is very true (as long as you don't go on a Gondola ride. The Gondolieres must be the sleeziest group of people anywhere.)

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my money, the most sytlish city in Italy.

Not to offend but I was a bit disapointed with most other italian cities, very "eurotrash" lost of track jackets and unattractive shoes. I'm not a snob so I didn't bother me, but didn't meet my lofty expectations either.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm actually planning to take my wife to Florence in a few months time...
I have been there 15 years ago as a student ,and i was interested in le ragazze than in the beautiful churches...........
Now being married, i will appreciate a bit more the beauty of the architecture....
teacha.gif

Some people ,a wide range from young american female students,Canadian travellers to mature Italian tourist guides, have warned against going to Naples for a lot of different reasons going from insecurity to insanity...
istill want to go to Capri and the beautiful Amalfi coast....

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
I'm actually planning to take my wife to Florence in a few months time...
I have been there 15 years ago as a student ,and i was interested in le ragazze than in the beautiful churches...........
Now being married, i will appreciate a bit more the beauty of the architecture....
teacha.gif

Some people ,a wide range from young american female students,Canadian travellers to mature Italian tourist guides, have warned against going to Naples for a lot of different reasons going from insecurity to insanity...
istill want to go to Capri and the beautiful Amalfi coast....

Anybody who warns against going to Naples is crazy. Sure, you don't want to walk through the Spanish Quarter at night, or wander the streets near the Central Station like a moron, but it is no more or less dangerous than LA or NY. Furthermore, it is a wonderful city with the best food in Italy (by a mile), generous, friendly people and some of the best tailoring around. It is a beautiful place and is unspoiled by the modern world in a way that few Western cities are. That is not to say that it is unspoiled or perfect. It is not, but it is a spectacular city. Venice is nice, I can take or leave Florence and Rome is probably the world's greatest city in my mind. I have never had any problems with Romans, but everybody is different.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The main problem when you do travel is the language barrier and as i do speak more or less 4 of them, i do normally find quite easy to adapt to different cultures or way of life....
I have also lived in 3 different countries making me more flexible in terms of behaviour...
I did find the Romans quite indifferent ,unfriendly and distant and i was not talking to them directly in English or French like so many tourists do.....
I was making the effort to speak to them in Italian even if some of them prefer to switch to English,French or even Spanish...
They were sometimes quite rude and believe i'm quite used to it...
As i'm quite latin by nature,even after 10 years in England ,i'm not easily shocked or rattled by the anarchic and erratic ways of Italian society.....
I love Italy more than Spain ,even if i do speak better spanish than i do italian and coming from the Pyrenees ,my roots are closer to Catalunia than the Po valley...
I love Italian food ,culture ,fashion and general outlook on life....
Venice was a very good surprise ....The people are gentle by nature and polite....
Concerning Napoli,everybody told me that the city was busy ,dirty and full of agressive morons....

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can only talk of my own sartorial experience ....
I did take into account the distinction between native "professionals" and tourists....
I have seen quite a lot of Kiton ,Brioni and other well-fitted suits and i was quite amazed how elegant were these gentlemen!!!!!
I even found a very good shop selling Kiton and Brioni suits ..Duca del Aosta.....
On the shopping experience side ,Venice is not Milan but i did find a few interesting designer shops offering decent suits...
I bought a Kiton suit and i love my last acquisition...
For our ladies ,Chanel ,louis Vuitton ,Gucci and others are there...

nioh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Anybody who warns against going to Naples is crazy. Sure, you don't want to walk through the Spanish Quarter at night, or wander the streets near the Central Station like a moron, but it is no more or less dangerous than LA or NY. Furthermore, it is a wonderful city with the best food in Italy (by a mile), generous, friendly people and some of the best tailoring around. It is a beautiful place and is unspoiled by the modern world in a way that few Western cities are. That is not to say that it is unspoiled or perfect. It is not, but it is a spectacular city.

Quoted for truth. I didn't feel uneasy at any point of my recent stay in Naples and I even did wander about just everywhere day and night, saw some bums and hookers but hey that's nothing exclusive to Naples really. To me, Naples is a honest city; raw, beautiful and rewarding for those who dare to go there.
devil.gif

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Anybody who warns against going to Naples is crazy. Sure, you don't want to walk through the Spanish Quarter at night, or wander the streets near the Central Station like a moron, but it is no more or less dangerous than LA or NY. Furthermore, it is a wonderful city with the best food in Italy (by a mile), generous, friendly people and some of the best tailoring around. It is a beautiful place and is unspoiled by the modern world in a way that few Western cities are. That is not to say that it is unspoiled or perfect. It is not, but it is a spectacular city.

I couldn't agree more. Most comments about the city's dangers are insane. If you live in any big city you know by heart what to do to avoid problems. The city is really wonderful and not hit by the plague of modern tourism. I've been in Florence almost every year since 1991 and it's painful to see the evolution (although it's nothing compared to Pisa). Naples isn't there yet.

Moreover, the surroundings of Naples (costiera amalfitana, Sorrente, Vesuvio, Capri) are all spectacular.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do love raw towns with genuine locals such as Palermo or Marseilles because they're genuinely more interesting and challenging than the average tourist destinations...
I 'm not bothered by hasslers ,pimps,street vendors, beggars or prostitutes or even a certain level of rudeness because they 're making the all experience more exciting...
I remember walking through the red light districts of Rome,Florence or Paris and never been bothered by anybody...I do have to confirm that i was passing by and not theywere not my final destination!!!!
laugh.gif

Naples is full of good tailors and i do want to visit this part of Italy.....
I do have to confirm that these friendly advices were given by different people coming from different part of the equation...

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Every time I've visited Venice, I've spotted nicely attired gents. Surprisingly, though, the best-dressed always seem to pop up in Assissi. Bizzare, but true.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics