• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Electronics for my home

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen LCDs burn in, and direct-view LCDs have a bunch of problems that plasmas don't: narrow angle of view, slow updates, and worse black levels. They're also small and expensive for the LCD panels. But plasmas are heavier and more power hungry (the bigger the plasma, the more power it takes). Their burn-in characteristics are also way exaggerrated.

--Andre

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bouji
B&W Nautilus 801, and I intend to keep them for my new system.

The B&Ws are quite nice (and expensive) audiophile grade speakers. Given your interior decorating requirements, the speakers and audio equipment aren't going to be the biggest problem, the aesthetic catch for this setup is definitely going to be speaker wearing. You might get away with hiding the cabling under carpeting, especially if you purchase mid-grade flat wires, but you are definitely going to sacrifice a little performance.

For source equipment, I would consider a used Krell or the previously mentioned Music Fidelity who makes a wonderful integrated. Given the sound quality of the B&W, I would avoid matching them with tube amps, even though your retro decorating tastes sound perfect with tubes. Personally, I would opt for a Rega CD/redbook player, Krell preamp, and something like an older Naim for a power source. Good power sources, in my opinion, don't change much over the years, but they definitely have a sonic character.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those go down to 3.5 ohms, and I think an $11,000 speaker deserves better than Marantz or Denon. In any case you need something better and stronger than a receiver.

I'd suggest a used McCormack, Mcintosh, Levinson, or the like.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
I've seen LCDs burn in, and direct-view LCDs have a bunch of problems that plasmas don't: narrow angle of view, slow updates, and worse black levels. They're also small and expensive for the LCD panels. But plasmas are heavier and more power hungry (the bigger the plasma, the more power it takes). Their burn-in characteristics are also way exaggerrated.

--Andre

? You can't burn-in LCD's. Plasma (and CRT) can burn-in (i.e. image retention) because they are phosphorous, LCD is not. LCD can get dead pixels, but on a large enough LCD (50" or more) there is no way you can tell; unless you like watching the TV from 5 inches away.

I watched the world cup on my 60" LCD, and the action was perfect, I know people say that LCD has a long "˜update' time, but frankly, after watching both human and motor sports plus DVD's, I can honestly say that there aren't any "˜update' problems with LCD's. Yes, black levels are still being perfected, BUT if you get a rear projection LCD, most of them now come with an iris system that opens and closes to darken the picture as needed.

Jon.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have physically seen LCDs burn in. Prior to that I thought it was impossible, too. The circumstances were extreme: a PC login screen left on for weeks at a time.

--Andre

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have physically seen LCDs burn in. Prior to that I thought it was impossible, too. The circumstances were extreme: a PC login screen left on for weeks at a time.

--Andre

The pixels couldn't "˜burn-into' anything. They could die (i.e. turn into dead pixels and not light up again), but they wouldn't stay in place. Now, you can have live pixels, which are the reverse of dead pixels, they won't turn of, and stay one particular color all the time and never change, but you can't have entire image retention on an LCD.

It has to be some kind of freak accident on a very, very cheap and badly made LCD screen exposed to extreme circumstances...even then, I really can't see it happening, its not the nature of the technology (it of course has its own set of problems).

I want to see a picture of the screen you are talking about (frankly, it has to be seen to be belived).

Jon.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
The pixels couldn't "˜burn-into' anything. They could die (i.e. turn into dead pixels and not light up again), but they wouldn't stay in place. Now, you can have live pixels, which are the reverse of dead pixels, they won't turn of, and stay one particular color all the time and never change, but you can't have entire image retention on an LCD.

It has to be some kind of freak accident on a very, very cheap and badly made LCD screen exposed to extreme circumstances...even then, I really can't see it happening, its not the nature of the technology (it of course has its own set of problems).

I want to see a picture of the screen you are talking about (frankly, it has to be seen to be belived).

Jon.

http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_...reen-burn.html

Oddly Familiar

Reaction score
That's not a burn in, just dead pixels. And if someone is dumb enough to leave their monitor on for weeks on end they deserve to have a screwed up picture. How hard is it to turn the monitor off at the end of the day?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oddly Familiar
That's not a burn in, just dead pixels. And if someone is dumb enough to leave their monitor on for weeks on end they deserve to have a screwed up picture. How hard is it to turn the monitor off at the end of the day?
No, they aren't dead pixels. Dead pixels are black.

Also, apparently some amount of fix can be done for this problem by leaving the LCD on a plain blank white screen for a few hours (with the backlight turned down if possible)

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS

Like the website linked, it was also on a Dell 20-inch LCD. You should be more open-minded about these things. It didn't look like burn-in like you get with CRTs, instead it was like a smear, so it was spread out over a larger area than the feature it retained.

--Andre

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pinchi22
I second Naim kit, especially the previous generation. What speakers do you use with your Naim gear? (I have Sonus Fabers.)

I don't have Naim (I have Cary tube amps, quite the opposite) but I've heard it in several systems and always liked it. One friend uses it with very inexpensive speakers (Sound Dynamics, IIRC) and it always sounds great.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Like the website linked, it was also on a Dell 20-inch LCD. You should be more open-minded about these things. It didn't look like burn-in like you get with CRTs, instead it was like a smear, so it was spread out over a larger area than the feature it retained.

--Andre

Ok, that's not burn-in. Yes, that's a problem and the screen shouldn't look like that, but the reason we have specific terms for specific occurrences is so that we can understand each other. If you call it burn-in (another name for image retention) and it's not then of course I will raise the point, in order to ensure that I understand what you are talking about and vice-versa, its important that we are both on the same page when discussing a topic, if not its rather pointless to discuss anything at all, no?

This looks like it was caused by sheer overheating of the screen. Who leaves a screen on when not in use, anyways?

Jon.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

--Andre

Ya, and it's really only something you have to worry about once, right after you buy it.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
Those go down to 3.5 ohms, and I think an $11,000 speaker deserves better than Marantz or Denon. In any case you need something better and stronger than a receiver.

I'd suggest a used McCormack, Mcintosh, Levinson, or the like.

I've listened to McIntosh paired with the 801s and it was a truely incredible match. One day when I'm settled, that will be my choice of system. I'll have to defer purchasing 300 lbs. (each) speakers until I stop moving though ;p

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads