Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Electronics for my home

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bouji, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Bouji

Bouji Senior member

I'm moving home, and am getting rid of a lot of my old things (I'm giving them to my nephew, who is starting college).

This question is regarding electronics, e.g. TV, HiFi, PC etc.

My interior style, as a number of you know, is quite classical, mostly French Antiques, with plenty of gold, parquet flooring, etc.

The building I'm moving too even has a cage lift.

Yet, I can't live without modern devices.

These devices tend to clash with my furniture.

I need the following:

A HD Plasma TV

A good separates HiFi system comprising of
    -Amplifier (Integrated or Pre/power, doesn't matter which)
    -CD Player
    -Tape deck

Speakers

A PC (Until now, I've used a laptop at home, but I want a desktop).

I know Marantz used to make a gold coloured plasma TV, but I cannot find this anymore.

I've considered getting a Plasma TV sprayed gold, but everyone I tell about this idea is put into a trance of disgust, and tell me it cannot be done.

I've considered putting the TV in a cabinet, but there is a perfect position in front of my bed, above a fireplace for a plasma TV to be wall mounted.

I do not keep a TV in my lounge; I feel it is gauche, and anti-social, so the problem is halved.

The PC will also be in the spare bedroom, so not a huge deal if I put an ordinary PC and conceal it.

In both cases I'd prefer not to.

I like Musical Fidelity's item's looks. However, 10 years ago I bought a NAD Silverline Amp and CD Player, 5 years later I replaced it with a Denon CD player and a Naim Amp, and 2 years after that, with a Marantz CD player and Amp. all the time with B&W speakers. The difference between the 3 systems was negligible. I'm willing to spend Marantz/Denon money, but I cannot justify NAD Silverline, Naim and I'm thinking also Musical Fidelity's prices, well, at least not for the quality - perhaps the looks.

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

Have a custom gold baroque picture frame made for your plasma TV.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

That would be so awesome! (I'm sure LK would like one as well)

Jon.

4. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I'd be careful about placing a plasma over a fireplace if you intend to use the fireplace. It's really not a good idea.

5. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

I love Naim equipment.

If you're shopping at that price level, I'd go for used equipment. Most audiophiles keep their stuff in top shape, and you can't tell it from new. Visit Audiogon ...

If you're not inclined to do that, I don't think there's any difference between the similarly-sized/priced Marantz/Denon stuff, although my heart says go with Marantz.

Just make sure it can drive 4 ohm speakers.

6. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I love Naim equipment.

If you're shopping at that price level, I'd go for used equipment. Most audiophiles keep their stuff in top shape, and you can't tell it from new. Visit Audiogon ...

If you're not inclined to do that, I don't think there's any difference between the similarly-sized/priced Marantz/Denon stuff, although my heart says go with Marantz.

Bouji, what model speakers do you have? B&W covers a very big price spectrum, although when I get a place with the room for them, I'm going to buy a set of the big boys ;p

Speakers determine at what level the rest of the system should be at imo, assuming you don't want to upgrade them in the near future.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

You should get vintage stereo equipment from the '50s, and '60s.

8. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

You should get vintage stereo equipment from the '50s, and '60s.

or maybe '70s, speaking quality-wise.

9. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

you could build the tv into the wall, with sliding or swinging wood panels or screens in front.

please don't paint it gold. if you have to have a gold frame, at least leave a black frame between it and the tv image.

if the fireplace is not woodburning you're probably ok. if it's purely non functional then you're definitely ok. an alternative to wood and gas is liquid alcohol fuel...don't even need a flue for that type of fire. check out http://www.ecosmartfire.com/USA/home.php (the installations shown are all modern, but the burner kit can be installed anywhere.)

10. summej2

summej2 Senior member

I love Naim equipment.

100% percent agreement.

Other used gear that is high-quality and unfussy would be Meridian, Quad, and, to a lesser extent, Linn.

11. JBull

JBull Member

I would propose amplifier and CD player from Cayin, and PMC speakers. They should fit well into the interior you described. After having heard this combo, I am sure that much of the overpriced high-end gear faces a huge problem.

12. Bouji

Bouji Senior member

Bouji, what model speakers do you have? B&W covers a very big price spectrum, although when I get a place with the room for them, I'm going to buy a set of the big boys ;p

Speakers determine at what level the rest of the system should be at imo, assuming you don't want to upgrade them in the near future.

B&W Nautilus 801, and I intend to keep them for my new system.

13. Bouji

Bouji Senior member

What an amazing idea.

14. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Don't get plasma, get LCD. IMHO it looks better and you don't have to worry about burn-in.

Jon.

15. Bouji

Bouji Senior member

Don't get plasma, get LCD. IMHO it looks better and you don't have to worry about burn-in.

Jon.

At the moment, I'm torn between LCD and Plasma, the 63" Pioneer is damn tempting; and I have the space for it, but LCD has the advantages, which you've mentioned.