• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Electric grills?

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im trying to get into cooking for myself, nothing too fancy. Whats the best electric grill to get? I want convenience and ease of use first so gas and charcoal seem to be out.

I mainly want to use it for chicken breasts and steaks and such.

Plus any tips/simple recipes for it?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
seriously, using gas is bad enough. don't go for electricity. you might as well just go to mcdonalds.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ You mean taste-wise globe? or health and stuff?

Id sacrifice a bit of taste if i can start grilling some chicken at home for dinner.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What is so inconvenient or hard to use about a gas grill?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
seriously, using gas is bad enough. don't go for electricity. you might as well just go to mcdonalds.
You're making George Foreman cry.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
What is so inconvenient or hard to use about a gas grill?

I guess you don't get that delicious charcoal taste. Gas is convenient, but I love charcoal. I don't think using an electric grill is that blasphemous, especially when charcoal or gas isn't an option. It's a faster, healthier way to prepare your food.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alan
^^ You mean taste-wise globe? or health and stuff?

Id sacrifice a bit of taste if i can start grilling some chicken at home for dinner.

taste wise

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nahneun
I guess you don't get that delicious charcoal taste. Gas is convenient, but I love charcoal. I don't think using an electric grill is that blasphemous, especially when charcoal or gas isn't an option. It's a faster, healthier way to prepare your food.
Uh... ok. I wasn't asking you, and you didn't answer my question anyways.
smile.gif
I was referring to the OP.
Originally Posted by alan
I want convenience and ease of use first so gas and charcoal seem to be out.
I don't think there is anything particularly inconvenient or hard to use about gas grills. They are likely easier to cook with than electric grills, actually.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Uh... ok. I wasn't asking you, and you didn't answer my question anyways.
smile.gif

I was referring to the OP.

I don't think there is anything particularly inconvenient or hard to use about gas grills. They are likely easier to cook with than electric grills, actually.

Oh, sorry. I thought you were talking about globetrotter's post :x

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
George Foreman is actually NOT bad at all. I have one to use in a pinch.

I prefer good old charcoal myself over butane flame.

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
George Foreman is actually NOT bad at all. I have one to use in a pinch.

Ugh. The Foreman grill just boils the meat.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've seen tabletop gas grills that can be used indoors then broken down and put in the dishwasher. Gas you pretty much have to cook outside, cleaning is more involved, and sometimes its a hassle when a tank runs out.

Considerations if you live in an apartment / dont drive / etc...

K

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
I've seen tabletop gas grills that can be used indoors then broken down and put in the dishwasher. Gas you pretty much have to cook outside, cleaning is more involved, and sometimes its a hassle when a tank runs out.

Considerations if you live in an apartment / dont drive / etc...

K

Uh... to clean your gas grill: while its still hot, scrape it with a brush. The end. No dishwasher necessary.

If you are cooking indoors, use your oven. It's like an electric grill already! You don't need to buy another one.

A tank of propane will run out, sure. but you can always get a natural gas grill and hook it up to a house line. Also, Cooking one or two hot dogs, one steak, or a hot pocket or whatever on a Foreman Grill is nice, but if you ever want to cook a few steaks (for buddies/date/family)... or steaks, corn, and hotdogs at the same time, you are **** out of luck on your foreman. It takes exponentially longer to cook for more than one person, and is therefore exponentially more of a pain **********.

smile.gif

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh... to clean your gas grill: while its still hot, scrape it with a brush. The end. No dishwasher necessary.

If you are cooking indoors, use your oven. It's like an electric grill already! You don't need to buy another one.

A tank of propane will run out, sure. but you can always get a natural gas grill and hook it up to a house line. Also, Cooking one or two hot dogs, one steak, or a hot pocket or whatever on a Foreman Grill is nice, but if you ever want to cook a few steaks (for buddies/date/family)... or steaks, corn, and hotdogs at the same time, you are **** out of luck on your foreman. It takes exponentially longer to cook for more than one person, and is therefore exponentially more of a pain **********.

smile.gif

Yes, a brush afterwards cleans the grate. But you occasionally need to clean other parts of the grill. I had to clean mine for my party this weekend and it was nasty work. And apartment living does not always allow for tapping into gas lines.

I didnt advocate a Foreman or even an electric grill, but I can understand why some people find them useful.

K

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Yes, a brush afterwards cleans the grate. But you occasionally need to clean other parts of the grill. I had to clean mine for my party this weekend and it was nasty work. And apartment living does not always allow for tapping into gas lines. I didnt advocate a Foreman or even an electric grill, but I can understand why some people find them useful. K
I am just saying that by and large, Gas grills are less of a hassle than electric grills. I can understand why people think that they wouldn't be, but those people are wrong.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads