• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Electric grills?

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have a huge charcoal grill, so having a small electric grill in the kitchen comes in handy when I just want to cook a quick chicken breast, piece of salmon, burger, etc. I'll be moving in a few months though, so I will likely be looking for another countertop electric. This thread didn't turn out to be as useful as I'd hoped though
mad.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threak
We have a huge charcoal grill, so having a small electric grill in the kitchen comes in handy when I just want to cook a quick chicken breast, piece of salmon, burger, etc. I'll be moving in a few months though, so I will likely be looking for another countertop electric. This thread didn't turn out to be as useful as I'd hoped though
mad.gif

Gross dude. Salmon on an electric grill?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I am just saying that by and large, Gas grills are less of a hassle than electric grills. I can understand why people think that they wouldn't be, but those people are wrong.
smile.gif

Not necessarily. A friend of mine lives in a London apartment with a patio out front. he cant keep a gas grill out there (it's on street level and people walking by can steal it / **** with it) and cant exactly wheel it in and out with the cansiter every time he uses it.

Instead he has a tabletop electric grill to throw a couple of hot dogs on when we are hanging out drinking beer. he runs a power cable through the window and when he is done he throws it in the dishwasher and it fits into his cupboard until next time.

Yes, he could wheel a big clunky gas grill and canister in and out (and store a stinky grill in his apartment), but this is deffo easier.

Anyways I see your point and I have a gas grill, but for some people circumstances dictate that electric is easier.

K

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Not necessarily. K
I did say by and large. That leaves room for people who don't know how to operate a bike lock, or move into not-such-a-crappy apartment
smile.gif

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did say by and large. That leaves room for people who don't know how to operate a bike lock, or move into not-such-a-crappy apartment
smile.gif

I dont know why I feel the need to repond, but a bike lock wont stop people from ******* with it. And it's clear you dont know much about apartments in central London (and how is moving apartments less hassle)?
smile.gif

K

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by B1FF
Ugh. The Foreman grill just boils the meat.

No.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
I dont know why I feel the need to repond, but a bike lock wont stop people from ******* with it. And it's clear you dont know much about apartments in central London (and how is moving apartments less hassle)?
smile.gif
K

Maybe moving to a place where people don't **** with your stuff will cause you guys less stress? I'm glad I live in America where the thought that maybe the guy you are about to **** with might shoot you makes people polite. Great Britain sounds like a shithole.
smile.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm glad I live in America where the thought that maybe the guy you are about to **** with might shoot you makes people polite.
texassign.jpg

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
texassign.jpg

I lived there, and everyone was quite polite. That was back in the day when you would occasionally still see people walking around with an unconcealed weapon too. I think they changed that law.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over here id have to get gas tanks regularly, plus its always going to be used indoors, plus not much space. So figured electric over gas would be better.

And this is only for one-guy use, wont be used for large many people meals.

Ane elctric isnt as bad as an oven is it lol

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand this electric grill. Why wouldn't you just use a stove-top griddle?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe moving to a place where people don't **** with your stuff will cause you guys less stress?

I'm glad I live in America where the thought that maybe the guy you are about to **** with might shoot you makes people polite. Great Britain sounds like a shithole.
smile.gif

K

JeffC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
I don't understand this electric grill. Why wouldn't you just use a stove-top griddle?

The grease doesn't drain. Honestly, they are fine for apartment buildings, when you don't have much choice. I'm about to move out of the house I share with two others, into a one bedroom apartment. I'm not happy about losing the grill.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by B1FF
Yes.

A GF grill can burn the surface of a piece of meat, merely boiling it doesn't. Last Saturday I made burgers using the following tip, but using the electric grill for the searing step. The product turned out a touch past medium rare, but thinking about it still makes my mouth water.
bigstar[1].gif

At Comme Ça, Mr. David finally nailed the consummate burger on the 11th try.

The genius of his Comme Ça burger is that it is consistently juicy, perfectly seasoned and precisely medium-rare. The patty is charred on the outside and rosy pink from edge to edge.

It is a radical improvement on what most people already do, but it’s not much more complicated. His trick is to treat the burger the way many chefs do a steak.

He puts a good hard sear on both sides using his plancha, the freight train of flat tops, then transfers it to a 375-degree oven to finish cooking. After it comes out, there’s a built-in resting period while he toasts the buns and makes a last-minute lettuce salad.

His method translates to an amazing amount of flexibility. Home cooks who don’t have a plancha can sear the meat either on a grill or on the stovetop in a cast-iron skillet. It works equally well for one or two people, or for a crowd, because you can sear in batches.

The final cooking works beautifully in a toaster oven as well as a regular oven. Or, if you have an outdoor grill that is as large as some people’s kitchens, you can simply move the burgers to a cooler spot once they’ve been charred.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/01/di...=burger&st=cse

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics