• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eidos Napoli

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Hiya Antonio,

This looks to be a Tipo, correct?

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/...2&ppp=180&sp=1&rid=&spc=36&cm_kws=Eidos &pn=1

Also, any insight into the cloth? Heavy? Light? Still waiting for you guys to get some traction in Atlanta. Hopefully will be able to try some stuff on in person soon.

All jackets at bloomingdales (no matter what the photos look like online) are the Balthazar now. The balthazar is what we developed the Tipo off of - same exact fit just a cm shorter with slightly more narrow, bellied lapels and a two button closure.

I designed the cloth in my favorite fall quality from Lanificio di Pray - their mid-weight wool flannel. Really nice scale on the tooth.

We probably won't get into Atlanta any time soon as the only store I would consider being sold in is Sid Mashburn and he's not expanding tailoring at the moment.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just noticed today that young Bruce Springsteen vaguely looks like Antonio.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surprisingly, the Balthazar in a 48R fits me perfectly in every way except sleeve length. For me:

Tipo: 46S (needs to be opened up)
Tenero: 46S/R (needs to be opened up)
Balthazar: 48R

I'm 5'7, 155 lbs.

Wish Saks carried the gun check with cream over check in a size 46, but I guess that's up to the buyer.

Some pretty fabrics this season. Love it.

Last edited:

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Surprisingly, the Balthazar in a 48R fits me perfectly in every way except sleeve length. For me:

Tipo: 46S (needs to be opened up)
Tenero: 46S/R (needs to be opened up)
Balthazar: 48R

I'm 5'7, 155 lbs.

Wish Saks carried the gun check with cream over check in a size 46, but I guess that's up to the buyer.

Some pretty fabrics this season. Love it.

The reality is that balthazar seems to fit most people really well.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All jackets at bloomingdales (no matter what the photos look like online) are the Balthazar now. The balthazar is what we developed the Tipo off of - same exact fit just a cm shorter with slightly more narrow, bellied lapels and a two button closure.

I designed the cloth in my favorite fall quality from Lanificio di Pray - their mid-weight wool flannel. Really nice scale on the tooth.

We probably won't get into Atlanta any time soon as the only store I would consider being sold in is Sid Mashburn and he's not expanding tailoring at the moment.

What's the consumer sentiment in the market about tailoring? Carson Street has done away with tailoring (mostly), SM is not expanding and you mentioned a large focus for Eidos away from tailoring going forward. Has the "suit is back" moment passed the broader market and #menswear?

M Parenti

Reaction score
What's the consumer sentiment in the market about tailoring? Carson Street has done away with tailoring (mostly), SM is not expanding and you mentioned a large focus for Eidos away from tailoring going forward. Has the "suit is back" moment passed the broader market and #menswear?

Well I think those can all be answered separately.

Carson street is moving away from tailoring because they're focusing more on high fashion/streetwear (or so it seems) - just look at their styling and product lineup now compared to what they opened with. Huge change.

Sid isn't expanding their tailoring because I'm pretty sure they have a strong private label tailoring division. Better margins would be a hell of a reason to not expand to 3rd party tailoring in the near term.

To answer the original question, though, I don't think the "suit is back" moment is necessarily going away, but maybe didn't come to fruition in the way some of us had hoped. I think a big move for Bloomies was moving to the Balthazar. It might not be as Eidos-y as we like, but they are selling in a much bigger way. Bloomingdales knows what they're doing.

I'll let AC answer that last bit about his focus on sportswear though.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I think those can all be answered separately.

Carson street is moving away from tailoring because they're focusing more on high fashion/streetwear (or so it seems) - just look at their styling and product lineup now compared to what they opened with. Huge change.

Sid isn't expanding their tailoring because I'm pretty sure they have a strong private label tailoring division. Better margins would be a hell of a reason to not expand to 3rd party tailoring in the near term.

To answer the original question, though, I don't think the "suit is back" moment is necessarily going away, but maybe didn't come to fruition in the way some of us had hoped. I think a big move for Bloomies was moving to the Balthazar. It might not be as Eidos-y as we like, but they are selling in a much bigger way. Bloomingdales knows what they're doing.

I'll let AC answer that last bit about his focus on sportswear though.

Interesting thought on Sid and that makes sense.

With respect to Carson Street, that's not really an answer as opposed to an expanded description of my question. I'm surmising from the move in that direction that fashion/streetwear is selling to their customer base much better than tailored clothing. If SM and Eidos were also seeing that, well then that's an interesting shift compared to where we were 3-4 years ago.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Regarding your overall question I would say that, simply put, tailoring as fashion is no longer trending. Carson Street's shift is more based in ideology than pure fiscal profitability (we had strong sell throughs there our last season and Eidos was the most frequestly searched word on their website). The Carson street guys have always been in the business of selling the "coolest" product. There was a solid 2-3 years where the people who set trends for the industry were wearing Italian suits and hardbottoms every day as a fashion statement. That time has passed. Carson Street wants to be in the driver's seat, to dictate trends. At this moment that means focusing on more conceptual, designer-based collections.

My approach to Eidos is that our collection should reflect and satisfy our customers' needs. To me this means broadening our scope to create what we feel is a complete comprehensive wardrobe. Tailored clothing is an important piece of that, but it's not the central focus.

Last edited:

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding your overall question I would say that, simply put, tailoring as fashion is no longer trending. Carson Street's shift is more based in ideology than pure fiscal profitability (we had strong sell throughs there our last season and Eidos was the most frequestly searched word on their website). The Carson street guys have always been in the business of selling the "coolest" product. There was a solid 2-3 years where the people who set trends for the industry were wearing Italian suits and hardbottoms every day as a fashion statement. That time has passed. Carson Street wants to be in the driver's seat, to dictate trends. At this moment that means focusing on more conceptual, designer-based collections.

My approach to Eidos is that our collection should reflect and satisfy our customers' needs. To me this means broadening our scope to create what we feel is a complete comprehensive wardrobe. Tailored clothing is an important piece of that, but it's not the central focus.

Quite informative and interesting. Thanks for your response.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads