• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EG Shoos coming to Toronto - Finally!!

ktrp

Reaction score
The Loake's at the bay were 'on sale' for 350.

I would have to check, but I think they may have been L1s.

I should open a shoe sizing store in Toronto. I won't sell anything, I'll just have a sample of each UK based manufacturer in each last in each size, and charge people $25 for a thorough fitting, then send them off to buy them online.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^ I just had that same idea last night while reading this thread. Think of the lowered inventory holding costs, you don't care about teh color, just have one pair of shoes in each model and size. No back storage room, for example. And when you're done you could even sell the shoes as floor models and get back most of the original cost.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp

I thought The Bay clearanced all their Loake shoes? I remember seeing them prominently and then on some kind of discount. It was around the time Dack's was rumoured to close because I noticed the same pair at the Dack's clearance for much much less.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omega Man
Yes, if you could educate/convince the mass by buying better shoes.

They have to be willing to spend that kind of money on a non-commercial/fashion brand name first though.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp

The models carried by the Bay (if the Ottawa location is any guide) will probably be Shoemaker-grade. Leather lined with calf leather uppers, but not up to 1880 standards. $350 is still too much for these shoes, though.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
^^ I just had that same idea last night while reading this thread. Think of the lowered inventory holding costs, you don't care about teh color, just have one pair of shoes in each model and size. No back storage room, for example. And when you're done you could even sell the shoes as floor models and get back most of the original cost.

+1

Hell, you don't even need a store. Just buy/rent a van and you can do house- or office-calls. Gas and vehicle depreciation could be written off. Have a basic website ("Englishshoestoyou.com", or "2U", whatever) where people can look at your offerings, book a time, and you show up with the stock. Your value added is the precise fittings (as mentioned above), but also providing advice on what other styles on that last, by that maker, would suit the customer (depending on the wearer's lifestyle, etc).

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoff Gander
The models carried by the Bay (if the Ottawa location is any guide) will probably be Shoemaker-grade. Leather lined with calf leather uppers, but not up to 1880 standards. $350 is still too much for these shoes, though.

Yes, I saw those when I first moved here. I think they were $450, though, because the salesmen asked me what I paid for mine and nearly crapped himself when I told him £60 when I was a student.

kasper007

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
$890 is an exaggeration. More like $650. Still too high though.

Unfortunately, i have the receipt to prove it. This was my first real shoe purchase, cannot tell you how much i've regretted it ever since i came back home, checked online knowing that i had paid a small premium and realizing that i had actually overpaid by ~120%. This was almost 3 years ago so it may have "improved" since then

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, the Bay used carry Loake from the Shoemaker's collection.
Kew and some other models. They don't even show them, you have to ask for them specifically. They may have thrown them all out already, who knows.

Holt on Bloor is carrying Loake now. Evolution (?) range on the Bridge last
Waterloo (brogue blucher)
Telford (brogued monk)
Orwell (brogued Chelsea)

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kasper007
Unfortunately, i have the receipt to prove it. This was my first real shoe purchase, cannot tell you how much i've regretted it ever since i came back home, checked online knowing that i had paid a small premium and realizing that i had actually overpaid by ~120%. This was almost 3 years ago so it may have "improved" since then

That sucks. IMHO Holt tends to sell many things for 20% more than others though. I wouldn't blame it on importation. It was awhile ago I looked at them and they also sell them at another store for about $600-$700. So maybe I am incorrect but I did think they were better than benchgrade.

ktrp

Reaction score
In case someone wants to steal the idea and create a shoe sizing service, I'll note you could use stuff below factory seconds - flawed shoes that were returned, outright rejects, whatever. Just need to swing them from the factory as cheap as possible, they can even paint them orange or whatever so you can't sell them if they want.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kasper007

Perth and other models on sale now at Holt for $325 (in black only). I would buy it at this price if they had my width.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just walked by Robert Jones to check out the BB sale and the EGs have landed and are in the window.

None of the shoes are on sale at BB, btw.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads