• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward Green Top Drawer Worth the Money?

The Well Shoed Chap

Reaction score
An early example of full brogue oxfords built on 202 last right after the famous single quid acquisition.
Roland and Curt were in very good terms then.

Attachments

• IMG_4800.JPG
    IMG_4800.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

The Well Shoed Chap

Reaction score
Another unworn example of brogue casuals from pre Hlustik era for Peal Co., presumably made in mid to late 70's. Not only my hat, but also my wig off respectfully for the genuine English craftsmanship at it's finest.
Keith Moon shouldn't have driven when blind drunk.

Attachments

• tempImageKxmqMi.png
    tempImageKxmqMi.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 84
  • tempImageNCoWde.png
    tempImageNCoWde.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 79
  • tempImagewGBqDv.png
    tempImagewGBqDv.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 142
  • tempImagesfcHmM.png
    tempImagesfcHmM.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 146
Last edited:

The Well Shoed Chap

Reaction score
How did you get all these shoes?
Hi dukenukem4ever,
I guess you are quoting NOS shoes I posted previously?
Just like anyone on this forum, these shoes are legitimately acquired by me.
Most of them are from the UK, and few from the States. Hope this answers your query.
BTW, despite of my comment on my post with the Peal Co Casuals in brown calf,
I still have plenty of my original hair left, and do not wear wigs.
Have a nice hot summer day.

The Well Shoed Chap

Reaction score
Here are photos comparing the previously introduced brown Malvern produced right after the acquisition, and a black Barkley from my favourite Cursive Logo era. The last photo shows graceful profile of Malvern.
Both remain unworn, are off 202 last, and are in size 7 1/2 E.

Attachments

• IMG_4780.JPG
    IMG_4780.JPG
    321.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4830.JPG
    IMG_4830.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_4799.JPG
    IMG_4799.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are photos comparing the previously introduced brown Malvern produced right after the acquisition, and a black Barkley from my favourite Cursive Logo era. The last photo shows graceful profile of Malvern.
Very nice! PS I had a similar fridge as you; the unique ice compartment was great for my kids.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On another note, can you comment on leather quality of these much older EG models versus current iterations? I’ve heard from other threads that leather suppleness and thickness isn’t quite what it used to be.

The Well Shoed Chap

Reaction score
Surface fineness of leathers varies from shoes to shoes, but older shoes from EG tend to have tighter grain and more suppleness in general. This tendency is common amongst many of Northampton footwear manufacturers.
The biggest difference I should mention is weights of shoes. Older shoes manufactured in Westminster Works are lighter and more fragile than modern-day EG shoes.
Some might say that the weight difference is created by thickness of the leathers, but I suspect it maybe a cause of using thicker stiffeners, more glues and different sole materials as well. I remember, when Croggons of Cornwall went out of sole bends production in early 90's, EG temporarily sourced sole bends from a tanner near border of France and Spain. Those imported vege-tanned soles seemed harder and weight of the shoes also increased somehow and eventually lost the unique glove-like fitting that older EG shoes had. Soon after, EG switched the source of sole bends to Rendenbach, which in my opinion, have great water resistance and durability, but I reckon the overall hardness, well some describe it as sturdiness, of shoes retained. This may be the reason why some people spend fortunes for unworn older EG shoes with Croggon's soles to enjoy the moist feelings as you step on the ground.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads