• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

labravajazz

Reaction score
Well, to clarify the prices were more in the area you mentioned, but I only meant to say there were good shoes for the lower prices just not in so much quantity though. Hard to generalise I think....

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huh, guess I'm starting to move from JL to EG side as I can notice .. They are so "more british" as I can tell ..

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
If there is such a thing...what would be the "classic" last that the Dover is built on? 202? 606?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

606 is the most attractive and traditional IMO.

I'm coming around to the 606. Has a bit more shape than the 202 it seems.

Edit: TTS sizing for 606? I'm 8UK on the 82.

Last edited:

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there is such a thing...what would be the "classic" last that the Dover is built on? 202? 606?

I have the Dover on both lasts. If you want, I could post some photos of them for you to compare? Personally, I think they both have their charm. What sometimes bother me with the 606 version is that the space between the apron and the front of the shoe gets pretty elongated, which almost creates a kind of "camel toe" effect, if you know what I am saying.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I have the Dover on both lasts. If you want, I could post some photos of them for you to compare? Personally, I think they both have their charm. What sometimes bother me with the 606 version is that the space between the apron and the front of the shoe gets pretty elongated, which almost creates a kind of "camel toe" effect, if you know what I am saying. 

That would be greatly appreciated if it isn't too much trouble. It would be great to see a top shot with both lasts in the same shot.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm coming around to the 606. Has a bit more shape than the 202 it seems.

I favor the look of the 202 on oxfords; it is incredibly solid and classic, and for me it fits superbly.

There is something disproportionate or displeasing--some might say "blobby"--about the 202 on some bluchers and other styles. I think it has to do with the Dover's split toe also, which looks best on a chiseled toe; this may be why some pursue an MTO or TD to get the 888 for the Dover, which is chiseled to the point of being sharp or further elongated.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I might not be able to get them both in the same shot, since my 202 Dovers are packed away for winter storage. However, I think I have some top shots from before and I could try and photoshop them together with a pic of the 606s. I'll see what I can do!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I might not be able to get them both in the same shot, since my 202 Dovers are packed away for winter storage. However, I think I have some top shots from before and I could try and photoshop them together with a pic of the 606s. I'll see what I can do!

Oh goodness. Don't go through that much trouble!

partyof6

Reaction score
I favor the look of the 202 on oxfords; it is incredibly solid and classic, and for me it fits superbly.

There is something disproportionate or displeasing--some might say "blobby"--about the 202 on some bluchers and other styles. I think it has to do with the Dover's split toe also, which looks best on a chiseled toe; this may be why some pursue an MTO or TD to get the 888 for the Dover, which is chiseled to the point of being sharp or further elongated.

Brooks Brothers sells the Dover on 888. Price usually sucks, but they were eligible for the 30% corporate discount last month. That reduced the price to under $1k including shoe tress. I believe they're doing another corporate sale in mid/late May, but I don't know if EG will be excluded this time around.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think my next EG purchase will be dover or nevis, either on 606

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I think my next EG purchase will be dover or nevis, either on 606

I'm genuinely surprised that you don't have the Dover, NAMOR.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads