• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think both fit the same. A few pages back SF member posted that he takes same size in 64 and other lasts.
Different Lasts affect different people with different feet differently.
laugh.gif

For instance, I wear the same size when wearing three different C&J Lasts.

However I've seen others who will adjust by a half size or so when using these same Lasts.

I would imagine this would be true for Edward Green as well.

The different Lasts are shaped differently and it just depends on ones feet in regards to how a certain Last will work.

Last edited:

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Different Lasts affect different people with different feet differently.:laugh:

For instance, I wear the same size when wearing three different C&J Lasts.

However I've seen others who will adjust by a half size or so when using these same Lasts.

I would imagine this would be true for Edward Green as well.

The different Lasts are shaped differently and it just depends on ones feet in regards to how a certain Last will work.

I agree and in general MTO should be only for people who are absolutely sure of their shoe size but we cannot stop members from taking a chance.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree and in general MTO should be only for people who are absolutely sure of their shoe size but we cannot stop members from taking a chance.
Yeah but it's usually better to take these chances with RTW. This way you can work out the details and return them without penalty if necessary.

However good luck with the MTO, I'm a BIG FAN of the Galway.

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found a vintage pair of Edward Green wingtips this morning at a local thrift store.

These are easily the coolest shoes I've yet come across. They are from 1946, and are in passable shape given the age. After I've run a few more layers of leather conditioner through them, I'll polish them to see what they look like cleaned up. I'm completely stoked to try these out, as I've been wanting a good pair of shoes. I don't need a brand new pair given the casualness of my workplace.

If there are any experts on vintage models, feel free to advise me on what I have. They are 9 1/2E, 202 last, stamped 19463.

PMac

Reaction score
Any thoughts from the members here on the EG Midford vs Berkeley? I am looking to add one of these pairs in dark oak to complement a pair of black Chelseas, but I'm on the fence on which way to go. I'm leaning toward the Midford, which is the stitched brogue cap toe, but I think the Berkeley may be the safer choice.

Midford

Berkeley

Geezer

Reaction score

I found a vintage pair of Edward Green wingtips this morning at a local thrift store. These are easily the coolest shoes I've yet come across. They are from 1946, and are in passable shape given the age. After I've run a few more layers of leather conditioner through them, I'll polish them to see what they look like cleaned up. I'm completely stoked to try these out, as I've been wanting a good pair of shoes. I don't need a brand new pair given the casualness of my workplace. If there are any experts on vintage models, feel free to advise me on what I have. They are 9 1/2E, 202 last, stamped 19463.
They are not from 1946. At a guess they are about ten years old. EG numbering is a bit of a mystery, but the pair dangling off my toes now bought around 1995 are numbered 10623 (and do not therefore date from before the Norman Conquest of Britain in 1066AD). And my newer pairs have higher numbers, in a little inset oval, while some older pre-oval pairs are numbered higher. Go figure. If they have the oval inset, they are post early/mid-90s. And the 202 last, while classic, is not ancient. Those are great shoes, but early last decade, not mid last century.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Difficult to really see too much of a discernible difference IMO. I've tried the midford on as my local retailer carries it as a stock shoe in dark oak. Really looked sharp, I ordered a mto chelsea as I tend to lean toward a more plain look. Really can't go wrong with either. I would choose the midford, to answer your question.

Geezer

Reaction score

They are not from 1946. At a guess they are about ten years old. EG numbering is a bit of a mystery, but the pair dangling off my toes now bought around 1995 are numbered 10623 (and do not therefore date from before the Norman Conquest of Britain in 1066AD). And my newer pairs have higher numbers, in a little inset oval, while some older pre-oval pairs are numbered higher. Go figure. If they have the oval inset, they are post early/mid-90s. And the 202 last, while classic, is not ancient. Those are great shoes, but early last decade, not mid last century.

PS - I perhaps should have both realised and added that I have three pairs (one now dead as a hole finally wore through) of the exact same shoes in black, and two in brown, albeit on the 88 not the 202, and all of them date to 1992-96. One of the brown pairs recently had a full factory refurb and look nearly as good as new, except that the post-refurb genuine patina is better (deeper, subtler) than the "antiquing" currently offered.

Geezer

Reaction score

Any thoughts from the members here on the EG Midford vs Berkeley? I am looking to add one of these pairs in dark oak to complement a pair of black Chelseas, but I'm on the fence on which way to go. I'm leaning toward the Midford, which is the stitched brogue cap toe, but I think the Berkeley may be the safer choice. Midford Berkeley
I have Midfords as pictured in dark oak and also in black, both last 82, and a pair of older shoes in brown on a 202 that are either the Berkeley or a forerunner and close cousin (if you mainly shop in the store the model names matter less than online). The Berkley are more classic, but I am very fond of the Midfords. My suggestion: check the available lasts before deciding. I don't dislike the 202, and have four or five pairs on it, but I have for a couple of years been very into the 82 (as well as the 88, the virtues of which I shall always promote here). In very similar shoes, I'd prioritise last over stylistic detail.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on a great score. Just out of curiosity - what makes you think that these were produced in 1946?
You should check in with Philovance (resident wealth of information on old EG's).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads