• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your inquiry highlights the importance of trying on shoes whenever possible. ....
there is less room in the chiseled toe and vamp of the 888 than the 82, but this is directly influenced by individual foot shape, width at ball, and instep....

+1
@julianL another variable is the what your bigtoe-to-heel-line looks like.
the 82 last is more curved/pigeontoed than the 888. The difference matters if you have a very striaght line from the heel to big-toe -- in which case you might possibly find the 82 roomier than the 888 ... (instead of perhaps the more common foot shape where the big toe curves away towards the second toe and so on, a shape on which the 888 might feel roomier than the 82)

Last edited:

nmoore82

Reaction score
Today. Galway and flannel.

JulianL

Reaction score
It is worth noting the 82 is 1/16 of inch longer than the 888. However that doesn't necessarily translate to usable space either. I really notice very little in terms aside from a little extra room in the toebox on the 82 in terms of length. I really cannot think of too many people who take different sizes in the two hoever as always YMMV.

+1
@julianL another variable is the what your bigtoe-to-heel-line looks like.
the 82 last is more curved/pigeontoed than the 888. The difference matters if you have a very striaght line from the heel to big-toe -- in which case you might possibly find the 82 roomier than the 888 ... (instead of perhaps the more common foot shape where the big toe curves away towards the second toe and so on, a shape on which the 888 might feel roomier than the 82)

Very helpful observations and advice. II wish I'd made my post a couple of days ago because I hate being inefficient but am left with the feeling that when I went into the shop I really should have also tried going up a half length at the same time as dropping down the width, i.e. I should have tried a 7C as a possible other alternative to my current full-sock 6.5D fit. Ironically that's also another tip in the Permanent Style article that I'd already read.

The reason I didn't go up a half length is because I already have issues with heel slip but If too much space in a D width is letting my feet slip forward too far then I suppose that going from 6.5D to 7C won't necessarily mean less contact at the back of the heel.

All in all I'm getting the impression that 6.5C might be too much of a risk but I think I need to go back into Jermyn Street and try a 7C to complete my investigations, it'll bug me now if I don't at least try it. Unfortunately the one thing it really isn't possible to judge on an in-store try-on is heel slip because the soles are always so rigid in new shoes that the heels will, in my experience, always slip until at least a few weeks of breaking in.

One other question - the only non-loafer that they stock in the C width is the Chelsea but that is stocked in either the 82 or the 202 last. I've been assuming that the 82 is the better approximation to the 888 fit than the 202. Is this a correct assumption?

- Julian

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One other question - the only non-loafer that they stock in the C width is the Chelsea but that is stocked in either the 82 or the 202 last. I've been assuming that the 82 is the better approximation to the 888 fit than the 202. Is this a correct assumption?

- Julian

Yes, your assumption is correct.

pandaologist

Reaction score
Hold on. It was easily available. Zug from Ilcea is no longer being produced, so what remains is old stock (unless the revived brand begins to make it again).

I simply meant makers once had easy and plentiful access to Zug, while it was still being made in the past. I do not think it was a hugely popular/ often requested item for EG. It was a hardy and traditional material and certainly not a bright new thing. Like so many coveted items, Zug has probably become far more desired precisely because it is no longer easily available.
Are you sure it is no longer being produced?

This post from Ilcea back in August last year suggests otherwise: http://www.styleforum.net/t/338047/...s-official-affiliate-thread/3825#post_7321901
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi

For some reason I understood from the tone of Leave's post about Zug, Willow and the tannery was that it wasn't a question of the leather being produced, but more that EG would not be buying from them any longer. I could be wrong, but that was the impression I got.

EG is a very loyal customer of Ilcea and it is returned to buy many of the leather they use from us; probably they are not intentioned to use in this moment Willow or Zug calf.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it. I think their salespeople were probably trying to gin up general interest. Someone correct me if I am wrong,

There's no sign of new Heather Gorse/Zug on Ilcea's website. The print on their Martin product is similar, but it appears to be something else from Zug. Your comments sound like wishful thinking to me...

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize you are trying to be helpful and perceptive, but I believe that's an old vintage product you've displayed.

If the authentic Heather Gorse becomes available again, and EG opts to use it, the feeding frenzy will resume. However, beware of resurrected "heritage" and newly re-formulated goods that are often disappointing in the final analysis.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads