• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eBay selling question - opinions needed - Scam or what?

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever run into this before?

A bidder won an item and I sent an invoice which went to an eBay address in the US.

I get a reply on eBay in another name from S.Korea saying that he hasn't been able to change his address w/eBay and can I re-invoice him for the extra shipping.

So, I send him a PP invoice and he says he wants an eBay one and I ask why. He replies:

"There is no dissatisfaction with the Paypal invoice, I've just never paid for an ebay purchase through anything other than ebay's checkout system.
Also, whenever I pay directly through Paypal. I am not permitted to use a foreign address (outside the US or Canada), but have had no such issues with paypal through ebay's checkout system (which accounts for about 99% of my 66 transactions over the past few years).

That address given by ebay is my U.S. address in DC. XXXXX is a family member who currently lives at that address and thus saves my mail for me.

However, I am not sure why ebay is listing that as my default address at the moment. All of my addresses (including primary shipping address) are my South Korea address.

I apologize for this confusion. Again, if there is any doubt cast on me from this situation, I urge you to check my feedback (100%, like yours) to see that I am 100% reliable.

I hope we can clear this up soon, and I will be sure to leave positive feedback, even for just your patience, haha.

Thanks,"

His 60 feedbacks are OK but nothing about where the goods were sent.

Now, I've sold a bunch on and off eBay to International buyers and they've always paid through PP and often had confirmed addresses or the international equivalent. The only problem I can recall is that I asked a guy to pay in £ but PP wouldn't process it, but I think the problem was on my end, so he paid in $.

We've been back and forth with several emails which is getting tiresome.

So, I'm thinking this is fishy and am inclined to cancel the sale and move on.

Any thoughts?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can attest to the fact that paypal doesn't let you use an address outside the Country you bought the item from.

I have purchased a couple items from sellers in the UK. I bought them outside ebay, and no matter what I did on paypal, I had to enter a USA address even though the item was actually being sent to a proxy in the UK. I had to pay normally, then send the correct address over ebay messaging.

Not sure if it's worth the risk, but hopefully this helps :)

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've run into this before and it's really not a big deal outside eBay.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
usually i make them put in the notes where to send the item, so you can always prove where they wanted it shipped.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

usually i make them put in the notes where to send the item, so you can always prove where they wanted it shipped.

Thats not going to save you in a dispute though. Ive shipped to confirmed addresses, where its highlighted green and ****, and still lost.

Paying any way outside the eBay messaging system leaves you susceptible to some form of shady or potential risk. Was it a "lucky" sale, or an item you can't sell again? If not, explain to him firmly that for both of your protection, you ship to the address on the account, nothing more nothing less. If he can't do that, then the sale will be offered to the next bidder. eBay backs you if you message them (through eBay messages) reinforcing one of their policies.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thats not going to save you in a dispute though. Ive shipped to confirmed addresses, where its highlighted green and ****, and still lost.
Paying any way outside the eBay messaging system leaves you susceptible to some form of shady or potential risk. Was it a "lucky" sale, or an item you can't sell again? If not, explain to him firmly that for both of your protection, you ship to the address on the account, nothing more nothing less. If he can't do that, then the sale will be offered to the next bidder. eBay backs you if you message them (through eBay messages) reinforcing one of their policies.

Good advice and that's what I'll do. I had several bidders within a buck or two of each other and one guy just asked if it was available.

Thanks, gents. :satisfied:

Last edited:

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cancelled and offered it to the next guy in line who paid for it and I'm shipping today to his legit address.

Thanks for the help, Spoo. Now I hope the **** doesn't ding me in feedback.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Cancelled and offered it to the next guy in line who paid for it and I'm shipping today to his legit address.
Thanks for the help, Spoo. Now I hope the **** doesn't ding me in feedback.

No prob. If you had a cancelled transaction, 99% of the time, you cant leave a neg, but even if he does, call them and ask to have it removed because he asked you to "break the law". Dont sweat it.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No prob. If you had a cancelled transaction, 99% of the time, you cant leave a neg, but even if he does, call them and ask to have it removed because he asked you to "break the law". Dont sweat it.

Thanks, man.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads