• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Cleverley

shackletonian

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been embroiled in a challenging experience with GJ Cleverley for two pairs of shoes that I ordered in 2019.
The saga can be found, more or less, here:

Of the two pairs I ordered, I have the alligator shoes, which did not have all the adjustments requested and the leather still isn’t great, but it’s better than it first was.

The second pair, however, needed to be remade and my feet remeasured. I gave the shoes back to George Glasgow Jr when he was in the US on a previous trunk show. Knowing that my feet needed new measurements and hoping to avoid GG Jr, I asked when Adam Law, the lastmaker, would return to the US on a trunk show.

Cleverley has not replied to any of my emails - not to any email address at the firm. They have also not picked up my calls. They have not replied to any social media posts or messages either in over 4 months.

I have paid completely for all the shoes, but it has been so long ago that I cannot even get my credit card company to take action. The alligator shoes are disappointing, but I have them and they are wearable, even if a little uncomfortable. The loafers made from the Russian reindeer would not be wearable, and I don’t even have them in my possession and cannot get any updates or information.

I am at a total loss of what to do. The shoes were 4200 GBP, and I cannot imagine any world in which this is acceptable, but I also don’t know what recourse I have or whether there is anyway to get help.

I’d welcome any help, advice, or guidance from the forum. thanks,

BespokeAldenGuy

Reaction score
Seems like they are having trunkshows in USA around October. Hire some muscles and walk in first thing in the morning, demand a full refund. I don't think having them remake anything is worth your time.

shackletonian

Reaction score
Thanks, that may be the best option. They must have blocked all my contact information and removed me from their lists because I didn’t even get the email notice about the fall trunk show!
In the meantime, I’ve emailed George Jr again. Who knows, maybe I’ll get a response.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think someone who has that much money to spend on shoes has a lawyer on speed dial or a premium service credit card that us plebs don't have access to.

shackletonian

Reaction score
File a police report for theft / hire an attorney to badger them

ha! Though I would love to do that, paying for an attorney seems like an expensive gambit.

I never got a response about scheduling an appointment during their upcoming trunk show.

Honestly, I’d prefer to just get a refund so I don’t have to keep dealing with this. I’m tempted to reach out to some of the actors the firm likes to show wearing their shoes to see whether they might intervene

shackletonian

Reaction score
I would think someone who has that much money to spend on shoes has a lawyer on speed dial or a premium service credit card that us plebs don't have access to.

I wish I were that wealthy. I actually saved fora few years to be able to afford the shoes, thinking that they would be special, a part of a great experience, and a long-term investment in my feet.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
honestly, I am sure you are beyond furious at this point but I would just call them and level with them. Seems like you are out of options. I don't even understand what their response would be tbh or if you are next time in London just walk into the shop.

shackletonian

Reaction score
honestly, I am sure you are beyond furious at this point but I would just call them and level with them. Seems like you are out of options. I don't even understand what their response would be tbh or if you are next time in London just walk into the shop.

You’re right. Though I have tried calling and it just rings through. I half wonder whether they really did block all my contact information.

shackletonian

Reaction score
seems a bit much effort from their end but idk - maybe call from a new google voice number or so
That’s a good idea. I’ve tried an alternate email address and that went nowhere. Maybe the phone number game is the way to go. I’m just… exasperated, furious, frustrated, and everything else. I don’t understand how it is possible or they can just not care.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a good idea. I’ve tried an alternate email address and that went nowhere. Maybe the phone number game is the way to go. I’m just… exasperated, furious, frustrated, and everything else. I don’t understand how it is possible or they can just not care.
tbh its beyond me too but we have discussed so many times in different threads not sure what else to tell you. are you located in Europe or the US ?

shackletonian

Reaction score
US. I didn’t get an email this time around about the trunk show in the fall, so I still reached out and sent an email. I appreciate your input and support, @dauster. Really. I don’t know what I was seeking here; maybe just the outside shot that somebody had access to Cleverley and could push them to respond or reach some resolution with me, but even encouragement is a nice

SenatorV

Reaction score
Really surprised to read this. I’ve commissioned a dozen pairs of bespoke shoes from them in the past six or seven years. Nine were perfect out of the box. One was not exactly the color we agreed on and the other two had minor fit issues, probably because low vamp loafers are a challenge given that I have extremely high arches. George and Adam were very accommodating and made things right with no fuss and no extra cost. If you are still unsatisfied perhaps you should email [email protected] and explain the situation. Assume positive intent!

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smartmultimart