• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay more than doubling final value fees

bdbb

Reaction score
Previously, FVFs were 8.75% for the first $25, 3.5% up to $1000, and 1.5% for everything over $1000. In March, the FVF is increasing to 9% of the entire transaction.

Perhaps the most outrageous part is that yet again, ebay is presenting this as a positive change that will lower costs for sellers, and the media is hilariously buying it, running headlines of "Ebay cuts insertion fees to lowest levels ever!". In other words, you'll save a few pennies off the front end of the transaction while paying much more on the back end ($20+ extra on a $500 item).

This isn't the first time ebay has played this game, announcing that it is cutting fees while drastically raising them, but I think it may be by far the biggest FVF increase in the history of ebay.

lbcgav

Reaction score
You didn't mention the $50 cap (not that it would affect most ebayers). Also, ebay store owners will have a graduated schedule similar to the old rates (but would require a monthly charge to maintain the storefront).

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
yeah that is what i dont like about these types of companies who think they can just market something in a round about way thinking we are stupid or something. total disrespect. i would prefer it if they just flat out came and said hey we are raising prices please note the changes commencing on this date...etc. at least they treat me like i have a brain

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah they are ******* extortionists. This is not only bullshit, but thinly veiled bullshit. Whats worse is that im sure this is phase 1 of their move to eliminate auctions and move more towards a store based setup so they can compete with amazon. When I started ebay 9 years ago it was the most awesome place ever to sell your **** and have fun. Now its just a constant monkey on your back wondering when something will go wrong.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
eBay's fees got out of control a couple years ago and I quit selling on there then. If you're selling, there's plenty of other places to do so online.

bdbb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lbcgav
You didn't mention the $50 cap (not that it would affect most ebayers). Also, ebay store owners will have a graduated schedule similar to the old rates (but would require a monthly charge to maintain the storefront).

Right now you can list your expensive things in your five free auctions per month and have a $20 cap, meaning you start to save money at around $500.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
craigslist is still free, and so is the Steez.
teacha.gif

XeF4

Reaction score
Sucks, but I will probably still use it. I get better results with ebay than any other similar service.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads