• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving shoes (for actual driving)

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a WRX and it has a fairly stiff clutch (but really fun to drive). Thin soled dress shoes are not happy and driving to and from work has managed to give me a small bruise on the ball of my left foot, and has scuffed the toe box of one pair and the heel of another.

So I am now looking for driving shoes that I can wear for my daily commute. I found these form piloti:

http://www.piloti.com/products/produ...od_sku=PR16-4L
My favourite of the bunch aesthetically.

http://www.piloti.com/products/produ...rod_sku=PRO8-2
Velcro makes for the easiest on / off out of the bunch. Heavily leaning towards something like this to keep in the car permanently.

http://www.piloti.com/products/produ...rod_sku=PR24-4
I would mind wearing these outside the car too.

Opinions welcome and if anyone has suggestions on another brand or type of shoe that can withstand "spirited" driving, please let me know.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eek.gif
all of those are nasty! Whats wrong with tods?

Rossocorsa

Reaction score
For spirited driving I personally prefer taking my shoes off and drive in my socks, but when safety is of concern i'd go for Sparco shoes. I think the Sparco Vintage is quite nice looking for racing shoes:
http://www.sparcousa.com/pracewear_shoes.asp?id=20

Using theese kinds of shoes for other than driving is a bad idea though. They are made for good grip and feel for driving(and being flame resistant of course), walking around in them will wear them down rather quickly.

yerrow

Reaction score
good choice in cars as i have an 04 wrx wagon and a 07 forester xt both mildly tuned to mid 250's at the wheels. the piloti's are great

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Sparco's are nice (I shall look into those). As for Tod's, they seem too thin. I dunno, you'd have to feel it for yourself, but the clutch is stiff and you have to push quite hard (for a pedal).

As for ugly, they're not for wearing in the office, they're for the ride (and possibly for weekend wear with jeans).

Pilaf Rocket

Reaction score
Originally Posted by celery
I just got a WRX and it has a fairly stiff clutch (but really fun to drive).

I have an '05 WRX (hence my username), and its a hoot to drive. Stop and go traffic with that clutch gets pretty annoying though. I think my left leg is much stronger then my right for this reason.

Stay away from flip flops too.

Bohdathone

Reaction score
Sticking with the Tods group, the best pair of shoes for actual driving were a fantastic pair of Hogan's trainers.

Stiff, supportive and grippy sole (which is essential in a proper driving shoe), comfortable and sleek with velcro fastenings. All in black; maybe the best pair of shoes I've ever had - wore the life out of them.

Check out the Hogan's range if you can

Rossocorsa

Reaction score
If you are worried about shoes being too thin you may get dissappointed with drivers shoes. One of the points with such shoes is to have thin soles for better feel.

Since you have bruised your foot, are you keeping your heel on the floor when clutching? If so you should try lifting the foot instead(less twisting of the foot and often less sliding on the clutch).

It's not that I want to discourage you from getting good drivers shoes, I think they are well worth the money, I just thought I should warn you that they are generally very thin soled.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No I don't clutch with my heel on the floor. And thanks for the heads up on the thin sole. Maybe I'm just a wuss lol.

But the scuffs on shoes does need to be remedied. I'll try out the Tod's too. Thanks for the advice guys.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
eek.gif
all of those are nasty! Whats wrong with tods?

Driving mocs like the Tods are incredibly nasty. I vote for the Piloti - unlike many other driving shoes they have more support and padding so during a track day you won't end up destroying the thin soles or having back/arch pain while walking around waiting for the next session. Plus you can sometimes find them ridiculously discounted; I got two pairs (Stradale in Light Gray/Le Mans Blue) at Ross' for US$19.99+ tax per pair. Plus if you really need to you can get versions with fire marsupialant Nomex lining that are FIA certified. P.s. I have not had any issues with the thicker soles as far as feel is concerned. If anything else I have found rev-matching and heel-toe-ing to be quite improved with these.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to wear these:

sim-27105bk-sfi.jpg

They paired nicely with a fire jacket and helmet...
bounce2.gif

Only on the 1/4 mile strip however.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rossocorsa
For spirited driving I personally prefer taking my shoes off and drive in my socks, but when safety is of concern i'd go for Sparco shoes. I think the Sparco Vintage is quite nice looking for racing shoes:
http://www.sparcousa.com/pracewear_shoes.asp?id=20

Using theese kinds of shoes for other than driving is a bad idea though. They are made for good grip and feel for driving(and being flame resistant of course), walking around in them will wear them down rather quickly.

I like those Sparco Corsa Vintage - I could have sworn I had seen them in a nicer brown colour.

Marc-OS

Reaction score
Why spend all that money on fancy racing shoes if it's for street driving? Buy the poor mans racing shoe; classic all-star Chuck Taylors. Trust me on this one.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marc-OS
Why spend all that money on fancy racing shoes if it's for street driving?

The money doesnt really bother me, its the style that bothers me. If you are going to the track then I understand but if this is for street driving...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads