• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shirts that can be worn untucked with jeans?

ssbowtie1

Reaction score
Hi all, my business casual wardrobe is doing well, primarily consisting of tailored Brooks Brothers shirts and chinos. However, I'm having a difficult time finding some casual dress shirts that can be worn untucked with jeans. I have broad shoulders and found the Nordstrom casual dress shirt line to be too tight, plus those shirts were not wrinkle free.

Does anyone have any suggestions to local retailers that carry casual dress shirts (no fancy pockets or designs, just checkered patterns or similar)that are the proper length to be worn untucked? Wrinkle free would also be nice, so I don't look like a slob after sitting down.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No such thing as "casual dress shirts," and no such thing as dress shirts that should be worn untucked with jeans. That earned a bad reputation about 10 years ago.

Also, if stored properly, many fabrics that aren't thin and fit well will hardly wrinkle when worn. Arguably "wrinkle free" doesn't exist, though.

It would be nice to help find a nice somewhat casual shirt to do the job, but "local" but needs to be a named geographical area, accompanied by approximate measurements.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

No such thing as "casual dress shirts," and no such thing as dress shirts that should be worn untucked with jeans. That earned a bad reputation about 10 years ago.

Also, if stored properly, many fabrics that aren't thin and fit well will hardly wrinkle when worn. Arguably "wrinkle free" doesn't exist, though.

It would be nice to help find a nice somewhat casual shirt to do the job, but "local" but needs to be a named geographical area, accompanied by approximate measurements.

That's like saying there is no such thing as business casual.

ssbowtie1

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify, I'm just looking for a button shirt that has the proper measurements (not too long and somewhat straight bottom cut so it can be worn untucked with jeans for casual Fridays at work. Something that isn't a formal shirt, but isn't full of pockets and designs either. Something like this is perfect: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nordstr...tualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=648

Unfortunately though the Nordstrom trim fit in a Large is just right around the waist, but way too tight around the shoulders/chest area.

Also, I am located in SoCal.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nonsense: Such shirts can be made in various colours and patterns which you would not normally use for business with tie and suit. I have a number of such shirts made by Ascot Chang - a high end short maker.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Men's Wearhouse has a category it calls "casual dress shirts." Point made? That is not to say non-traditional dress shirt colors and patterns are non-existent or worthless.

Per the original question, measurements (beyond "large") still needed. Some men simply are too v-shaped to fit nicely in virtually any button-front shirts. Fortunately for them, alterations (e.g., taking in the waist) usually can be done.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads