• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Shirt Fit Advice Please Help

Reaction score
Long story:
Okay, so I'm an 36yr old who went back to school for a second career. My point here is I'm a broke student in nursing school. However, I wish to dress better and so have been trying to make an effort to dress my age.

I workout and my dimensions are a 15.5" neck, 44" chest, 35" sleeve, and 32" waist.

It seems to be a nightmare finding shirts that are my exact dimensions. What I have found is that Tommy Hilfiger Slim-fit seems to fit me in the chest, neck and sleeve length. As well, I've been able to score them on sale for $25 (down from $85).

TLDR:
My concern is the arm width around my biceps. Should I pay to have the sleeve tapered by a tailor?? Or does the sleeve width look okay??

1.jpg
2.jpg

I'm not sensitive about negative comments, criticize away. Just remember I have hardly no moolah. :D

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
CM

Alpha11

Reaction score
For off the rack shirt I say it looks fine to me. You are not going to get perfection on an off the rack shirt if it was not made specifically for you.

You stated you were on a budget therefore I would not recommend you go custom or MTM. As such I would not worry about things too hard until you get out of school. At which time you can devote more time and money on getting better quality, fit and understanding of the kind of style you want for your self.

Reaction score
For off the rack shirt I say it looks fine to me. You are not going to get perfection on an off the rack shirt if it was not made specifically for you.

You stated you were on a budget therefore I would not recommend you go custom or MTM. As such I would not worry about things too hard until you get out of school. At which time you can devote more time and money on getting better quality, fit and understanding of the kind of style you want for your self.
Thanks for the advice Alpha. I could probably swing mtm once or twice a year but I couldn't go mtm since I live in a small town (I'd have to commute to Toronto). That leaves online mtm and from what I've read on here, no one seems to recommend that.

Your right of course, but it sucks. Haha. Wish I was a rich student. :) Guess I was just wondering how bad are these sleeves, and if I should worry, but you cleared that up, thank you.

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can always go with Spier and Mackay for MTM. For the OTR shirts, if the current sleeve gives you room to move without being tight then I think it's fine. If your arms aren't going to get that big from working out to need the extra material, then feel free to get the sleeve slimmed down.

Reaction score
You can always go with Spier and Mackay for MTM. For the OTR shirts, if the current sleeve gives you room to move without being tight then I think it's fine. If your arms aren't going to get that big from working out to need the extra material, then feel free to get the sleeve slimmed down.
Have Spier and Mackay shirts served you well? I've considered exactly what you're saying, I suppose I was worried my sleeves look so baggy (and out of place) that filling them out would be hard. However, if you don't think they're that baggy maybe I'll just leave them and save the tailoring moolah.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

+1

Reaction score
Hello CM,

I would definitely go to your local alterations shop to have them take in the sleeves of your shirt. BTW, what are you studying in school for your second career?
I've gone back to become a Nurse Practitioner (long term goal), just currently doing my BScN. My goal is to build a nice wardrobe over the years so that I actually look half decent.

I might take 1 or 2 shirts to get altered and see it it's worth it. I guess I was just looking to see how bad it is to the others on the forum.

Tim Beasley

Reaction score
I've gone back to become a Nurse Practitioner (long term goal), just currently doing my BScN. My goal is to build a nice wardrobe over the years so that I actually look half decent.

I might take 1 or 2 shirts to get altered and see it it's worth it. I guess I was just looking to see how bad it is to the others on the forum.

Yes.
Remember your perceived value is more important than your schooling. Your access to a new network that can lift you to new levels is priceless compared to your alterations needed. Always make sure your clothing is tailored to the best of your ability. Best of luck.

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have Spier and Mackay shirts served you well? I've considered exactly what you're saying, I suppose I was worried my sleeves look so baggy (and out of place) that filling them out would be hard. However, if you don't think they're that baggy maybe I'll just leave them and save the tailoring moolah.

I haven't used Spier for MTM but I buy their OTR shirts and I've been happy with them. I'd save the tailoring money and just do more curls :p

Alpha11

Reaction score
Before you go running of to a Tailor and have the sleeve tapered I would caution you to consider what the cost and issues that are involved.

Cost: If the shirt is a well made shirt then the cost should be around 92.00 to 120.00 for off the rack. Now, consider the cost for a well done taper ( assuming the seams are Not glued together. In which case I say do not even try it) should be around 25.00 to 35.00 USD. You are now at the price point of a quality MTM shirt. As such you would be better of saving your money and going that route as it will give you better results.

Issues: if the sleeves are too tapered you are running the risk of blowing out the elbows as there is not enough fabric to allow elbow to bend without putting stress on the sleeves. I see too many young men blowing out their elbow because of this issue.

Like I said before the shirt looks good and see no reason to spend the extra money. I would wait until you are in a better position to do things the proper way.

Reaction score
Before you go running of to a Tailor and have the sleeve tapered I would caution you to consider what the cost and issues that are involved.

Cost: If the shirt is a well made shirt then the cost should be around 92.00 to 120.00 for off the rack. Now, consider the cost for a well done taper ( assuming the seams are Not glued together. In which case I say do not even try it) should be around 25.00 to 35.00 USD. You are now at the price point of a quality MTM shirt. As such you would be better of saving your money and going that route as it will give you better results.

Issues: if the sleeves are too tapered you are running the risk of blowing out the elbows as there is not enough fabric to allow elbow to bend without putting stress on the sleeves. I see too many young men blowing out their elbow because of this issue.

Like I said before the shirt looks good and see no reason to spend the extra money. I would wait until you are in a better position to do things the proper way.
Thanks for the in depth advice. It's greatly appreciated.

I haven't used Spier for MTM but I buy their OTR shirts and I've been happy with them. I'd save the tailoring money and just do more curls :p
Better start hitting the gym then! Haha. Thank you for the advice.

Well I'm fairly comfortable just doing as I'm told, I'll hold off on the tailoring. :)

Edward Hyde

Reaction score
sleeve looks twisted? There is nothing wrong with a formal (not "dress" please chaps - "dress shirts" are for evening wear) shirt being comfortable. If a woman (or another guy) wants to know what your arms are like they will be more interested in seeing you without a shirt! In the UK I would look to TM Lewin for shirts, great range and they often have multi buy discounts, and they may supply where you are?

Anachronist

Reaction score
Absolutely agree with Alpha11. That shirt looks good on you and wouldn't do a thing about the sleeves. Save the money for something else you need more direly. Taking in the sleeves is an alteration that only marginally changes the look of the shirt and you need to think value (or effect) for money here. If we were talking about a costly Kiton suit jacket that you thrifted for a bargain price , the alteration to achieve sartorial perfection would be justified, just not on a Tommy Hilfiger shirt (as much as I believe they are a bargain at the price your purchased them!)

Reaction score
sleeve looks twisted? There is nothing wrong with a formal (not "dress" please chaps - "dress shirts" are for evening wear) shirt being comfortable. If a woman (or another guy) wants to know what your arms are like they will be more interested in seeing you without a shirt! In the UK I would look to TM Lewin for shirts, great range and they often have multi buy discounts, and they may supply where you are?
The sleeve is twisted but I think it's just how I'm wearing it. Question, what would "evening wear" be specifically?? Thanks for the correction. :)

I'll take a look at the brand! Thank you for the advice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads