1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dress me for wedding

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jwoodywild, May 9, 2006.

1. jwoodywild

jwoodywild Member

Help! I am attending a wedding in the Low Country and want to wear a seersucker suit. In shopping at Filenes tonight there were 3different Haspell suits available in seersucker---a lightish green, traditional blue, and a tan.

I need advice on which to choose and how to dress it up---meaning what is the best shirt and tie combo. And what about shoes?

FYI, the wedding invitation says the dress is "semi-formal" although the reception starts at 7pm.

Is it possible that seersucker isnt even appropriate? I know the groom and groomsmen are wearing khaki suits from Bananna Republic, for what its worth.

Hurry. I have a week to get this all done!

2. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Distinguished Member

Assuming that you're referring to the American South and not Belgium or the Netherlands, I'd say seersucker is definitely appropriate, if ever so slightly dandy.

With traditional blue (or green, for that matter) seersucker, I think it's hard to beat a white shirt (button down for a more traditional look, spread for less) and a pink tie. A blue shirt would be nice too, provided that the shade is different from and works with the suit's.

3. coachvu

coachvu Senior Member

Seersucker is definitely appropriate. I agree with the white shirt/pink tie comment. You could also wear a red knit tie. For shoes, I've seen some white Alden's in the Ben Silver catalog that look great. Two-tone white and brown shoes would work, also. Depends on what you want to spend.

4. Edward Appleby

White bucs would be tight too.

5. JLibourel

JLibourel Distinguished Member

Before pursuing the matter any further, I would get clarification of the term "semi-formal." In proper circles, this is supposed to indicate black tie, i.e., a tuxedo, which would be very congruent with a 7:00 p.m. reception.

However, in a lot of contemporary usage, it merely means "vaguely dressy," in which case the foregoing recommendations of seersucker, etc., should be fine.

Be sure to find out what is meant.

What in fact does "the Low Country" mean in this context? I too always thought of it as denoting Holland and its environs and nothing else.

6. stach

stach Senior Member

you are way safe with the seersucker.

7. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

FYI - Sierra Trading Post has a Haspel seersucker suit for $149.95...

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/pro...x?baseno=48241

If it's available in your size, it might save you some money. Use the link from the forum.

As to the description as "semi-formal" my guess would be if this in the American South and the Groom and Groomsman are in BR khaki suits that this is technically a misuse of the term and that it is meant to convey the fact that you don't have to wear a tie if you don't feel like it.

8. coachvu

coachvu Senior Member

What in fact does "the Low Country" mean in this context? I too always thought of it as denoting Holland and its environs and nothing else.

The Low Country is a region in South Carolina.

9. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Distinguished Member

The suggestions you've received so far have been very good ones, but let me also agitate for a pink shirt with a navy background tie.

10. Edward Appleby

let me also agitate for a pink shirt with a navy background tie.
    Nice suggestion. That could really pop, for lack of a better word, if done correctly.

11. jwoodywild

jwoodywild Member

Thanks for all the replies. Great suggestions. I think that in this case (my interpretation) is that semi-formal means no black tie and a bit more casual in suit choice. I think this because:

a) Its the Low Country (South Carolina) where not much is formal
    b) It will be hot and semi formal may be less uncomfortable

I like the white shirt pink tie and/or pink shirt blue tie. But a few other questions:

1) Any thoughts on the other seersucker color of tan or green?

2) What about an orange tie with blue strips for use with the blue seersucker?