• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress me for wedding

jwoodywild

Reaction score
Help! I am attending a wedding in the Low Country and want to wear a seersucker suit. In shopping at Filenes tonight there were 3different Haspell suits available in seersucker---a lightish green, traditional blue, and a tan.

I need advice on which to choose and how to dress it up---meaning what is the best shirt and tie combo. And what about shoes?

FYI, the wedding invitation says the dress is "semi-formal" although the reception starts at 7pm.

Is it possible that seersucker isnt even appropriate? I know the groom and groomsmen are wearing khaki suits from Bananna Republic, for what its worth.

Hurry. I have a week to get this all done!

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming that you're referring to the American South and not Belgium or the Netherlands, I'd say seersucker is definitely appropriate, if ever so slightly dandy.

With traditional blue (or green, for that matter) seersucker, I think it's hard to beat a white shirt (button down for a more traditional look, spread for less) and a pink tie. A blue shirt would be nice too, provided that the shade is different from and works with the suit's.

coachvu

Reaction score
Seersucker is definitely appropriate. I agree with the white shirt/pink tie comment. You could also wear a red knit tie. For shoes, I've seen some white Alden's in the Ben Silver catalog that look great. Two-tone white and brown shoes would work, also. Depends on what you want to spend.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before pursuing the matter any further, I would get clarification of the term "semi-formal." In proper circles, this is supposed to indicate black tie, i.e., a tuxedo, which would be very congruent with a 7:00 p.m. reception.

However, in a lot of contemporary usage, it merely means "vaguely dressy," in which case the foregoing recommendations of seersucker, etc., should be fine.

Be sure to find out what is meant.

What in fact does "the Low Country" mean in this context? I too always thought of it as denoting Holland and its environs and nothing else.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
FYI - Sierra Trading Post has a Haspel seersucker suit for $149.95...

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/pro...x?baseno=48241

If it's available in your size, it might save you some money. Use the link from the forum.

As to the description as "semi-formal" my guess would be if this in the American South and the Groom and Groomsman are in BR khaki suits that this is technically a misuse of the term and that it is meant to convey the fact that you don't have to wear a tie if you don't feel like it.

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
What in fact does "the Low Country" mean in this context? I too always thought of it as denoting Holland and its environs and nothing else.

The Low Country is a region in South Carolina.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
let me also agitate for a pink shirt with a navy background tie.
Nice suggestion. That could really pop, for lack of a better word, if done correctly.

jwoodywild

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Great suggestions. I think that in this case (my interpretation) is that semi-formal means no black tie and a bit more casual in suit choice. I think this because:

a) Its the Low Country (South Carolina) where not much is formal
b) It will be hot and semi formal may be less uncomfortable

I like the white shirt pink tie and/or pink shirt blue tie. But a few other questions:

1) Any thoughts on the other seersucker color of tan or green?

2) What about an orange tie with blue strips for use with the blue seersucker?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics