• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Down at new job - software engineer- UK

ukbaz

Reaction score
Hi

I'm about to start a new job, working as a software engineer (programmer). I've been told the dress code is dress down unfortunately, typical T-shirt and jeans stuff.

I was thinking of sticking to chinos, cords and polo shirts.

What shoes would be good ? I was thinking some brown suede loakes but maybe that's too formal and I should just go for converse trainers ?

Would casual shirts from CW, T M Lewin, RL tucked into chinos be too formal ? How about having them untucked?

How about jackets or cardigans ? I've got a good Hugo Boss Cliffo jacket.

I'm coming from wearing formal wear (my current job) and I'm 25 years old in the UK.

Any advise is appreciated.

ThomGault

Reaction score
I think you'll need to see exactly what people at the new job are wearing. While its nice to dress well (and I hate jeans and t-shirt work attire), you should gauge what, exactly, others are wearing, and then make informed decisions.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at what others are wearing and COPY. Do not try to make any fashion statement or that you are superior in some way and could not possibly wear a tee. Trainers, mocs, Jesus boots are all to be expected.

Decent chinos are out and tucked shirts as well.

Whether you like ot or otherwise do not try to push the frontiers unless you are MD. You wanted the job, now get along with its setting.

Last edited:

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suits would be weird.
Sport coats would be unusual
Anything from flips flops to button down collars is within the spectrum I'd expect.

I have worked along side software engineers on the other side of the pond for 15+ years. Some would never wear a t-shirt, some would never not.

ukbaz

Reaction score
I think you'll need to see exactly what people at the new job are wearing. While its nice to dress well (and I hate jeans and t-shirt work attire), you should gauge what, exactly, others are wearing, and then make informed decisions.

Look at what others are wearing and COPY. Do not try to make any fashion statement or that you are superior in some way and could not possibly wear a tee. Trainers, mocs, Jesus boots are all to be expected.

Decent chinos are out and tucked shirts as well.

Whether you like ot or otherwise do not try to push the frontiers unless you are MD. You wanted the job, now get along with its setting.

Thanks for your replies. Yes I think that's wise advise.

All I can go on for now is what the VP & Technical Lead were wearing in the interview. VP was wearing a polo shirt and dark indigo jeans with trainers. Technical Lead was wearing jeans, t-shirt and a hoodie.

I guess polo shirts are safe for me to go out and grab a few. Do you not think I could get away with polo and chinos ?

Also for footwear i was thinking somesort of trainer-shoe / smart trainer ? Any recommendations ? something like this :
https://www.scottsmenswear.com/prod...dzTT15MzE0P-ZKBEigwWtNEbbZJywtbZq8aAkd98P8HAQ

ukbaz

Reaction score
Suits would be weird.
Sport coats would be unusual
Anything from flips flops to button down collars is within the spectrum I'd expect.

I have worked along side software engineers on the other side of the pond for 15+ years. Some would never wear a t-shirt, some would never not.

Yeh - I suppose tech people come from all walks of life

ThomGault

Reaction score

All I can go on for now is what the VP & Technical Lead were wearing in the interview. VP was wearing a polo shirt and dark indigo jeans with trainers. Technical Lead was wearing jeans, t-shirt and a hoodie.

I guess polo shirts are safe for me to go out and grab a few. Do you not think I could get away with polo and chinos ?

Also for footwear i was thinking somesort of trainer-shoe / smart trainer ? Any recommendations ?
If your supervisors are wearing jeans, I would not suggest being more formal and wearing chinos, especially not until you've been able to see the environment for yourself.
On the other hand, I don't think that athletic shoes match a polo shirt in formality and create a disparate outfit. A pair of casual derbies or monk straps would be better.

The goal is that your outfit is not discordant with either itself or your surroundings.

starro

Reaction score
It is possible to get away with a few more formal pieces if you have an eye-catching de-formalizing piece that compensates. For example, button down shirt, chinos, and a baseball cap. Or, polo shirt, wingtip shoes, and ripped jeans. You get the idea.

I'm not saying this is a good general way to dress, or that you'll get a harmonious ensemble. But it does allow you to get away with wearing some favorite clothes without looking better dress than everyone else.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also for footwear i was thinking somesort of trainer-shoe / smart trainer ? Any recommendations ? something like this :
https://www.scottsmenswear.com/prod...dzTT15MzE0P-ZKBEigwWtNEbbZJywtbZq8aAkd98P8HAQ

Stop clinging to this notion that you are some superior or absolved from following the commonly approved clothes. Go out and buy some new jeans and tees, a couple of hoodies if you don't have one; ordinary trainers and flip flops as well. The time to get uptight about the customs of the office was after the interview and then reject the offer of employment.

You can have the job and with it comes jeans etc. If one does not suit you then you should decline the job/resign immediately. You cannot expect to rewrite the rules nor to expect the penny, the bun and a full stomach. Grow up and go with the flow.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting phrase; I've never heard it before. Is it regional or limited to the UK, perhaps?

It is an expression which has been around in the UK for many, many years. It seemed to sum up the reality here and perhaps demonstrate that OP needs to accept life for what it is or resign and go somewhere which meets his standards.

ThomGault

Reaction score
It is an expression which has been around in the UK for many, many years. It seemed to sum up the reality here and perhaps demonstrate that OP needs to accept life for what it is or resign and go somewhere which meets his standards.
In the US, we say that "you can't have your cake and eat it, too." I always (probably mistakenly) assumed the cake phrase was universal. Is it used in the UK at all, or do people only use your phrase?

ukbaz

Reaction score
Stop clinging to this notion that you are some superior or absolved from following the commonly approved clothes. Go out and buy some new jeans and tees, a couple of hoodies if you don't have one; ordinary trainers and flip flops as well. The time to get uptight about the customs of the office was after the interview and then reject the offer of employment.

You can have the job and with it comes jeans etc. If one does not suit you then you should decline the job/resign immediately. You cannot expect to rewrite the rules nor to expect the penny, the bun and a full stomach. Grow up and go with the flow.

Lol relax, I'm fine with going with flow.

Any recommendations on jeans ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads