• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress code for ballet - black tie?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unless you are sitting in box seats, attending a gala, or donated enough money to have the ballet hall named after you, I think you're going to look way out of place in black tie.

In fact, if it is just a regular performance and you are just sitting in "normal" seats, then I think you will not only look out of place, but look downright awkward and reaching. The ballet, symphony, and opera aren't those kinds of events, for the most part or on a standard evening... you'll have everything from retired music lovers to students to couples out on a date. Hardly "black tie" company.

I went to the ballet/symphony/opera nearly weekly all through college... never once saw anybody in normal seats in black tie.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This thread can use some visual aids.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you wear black tie you'll confuse people. In the Hall, they will wonder why you aren't in the orchestra. At dinner, they'll wonder why you aren't pouring their wine.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
I wore a tuxedo to a performance of The Nutcracker at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in Los Angeles over the holidays. Other than one other guy also in a tux, the males in attendance wore mostly shirt and trousers, with a few in suits and some in jackets and trousers.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do people even still view the opera/symphony/ballet still as such a grand, pretentious affair? These days, given the accessibility of tickets and venues, it's really just an enjoyment of culture and art... not really a once-in-a-lifetime event for which you need to worry about your dress. I've been dozens of times, mostly back as a student using my ID card to get "best available" seats for about $10. Not exactly Count von Monocle with his diamond stick pin and his tophat.

Again, galas, special performances/seats, dinners w/ the conductor, etc. are different, but the OP seems just to be talking about a regular performance.

aKula

Reaction score
Yes, I guess you're right. We're enthusiasts for clothes here though and I think it's nice to get dressed up. At least for opening nights at the opera there are a few more people in dinner jackets.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ballet is supposed to be black tie, it used to be anyways. Now I see more men getting away with suits instead, I still wear a tux but I like to stay tradional and let others know the proper attire for certain socal events. If you don't want to end up being over dressed I suppose you could get away with wearing a suit or something.

De Gustibus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
Ballet is supposed to be black tie, it used to be anyways. Now I see more men getting away with suits instead, I still wear a tux but I like to stay tradional and let others know the proper attire for certain socal events. If you don't want to end up being over dressed I suppose you could get away with wearing a suit or something.

I thought black tie/black lounge was for eating informally at home, and you would wear a frock coat to the ballet just like anywhere else public.

I guess later black tie was used for any fancy public occasions, including eating at a nice restaurant in the 20s and 30s.

Not sure if I am just being flip.
shog[1].gif

jyook

Reaction score
Went to a ballet with my wife 2 years ago at the Orange County Performing Arts Center... I dressed in a suit and tie and my wife a nice dress... We were shocked to see many men wearing Hawaiian shirts and shorts as well as t-shirts and jeans...

kannoos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by De Gustibus
I thought black tie/black lounge was for eating informally at home, and you would wear a frock coat to the ballet just like anywhere else public.

I guess later black tie was used for any fancy public occasions, including eating at a nice restaurant in the 20s and 30s.

Not sure if I am just being flip.
shog[1].gif

Frock coats are formal daywear. White tie would have been de rigeur for evening occasions. However, frock (not frock coat) is another word for an evening tailcoat, so maybe you were thinking of that?

Augustus Davies

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZON_JR
If you wear black tie you'll confuse people. In the Hall, they will wonder why you aren't in the orchestra. At dinner, they'll wonder why you aren't pouring their wine.

Or they will wonder, where is this guy going after the ballet....

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually attend such events in anything from smart-casual to semi-formal to a suit. Lately, I've taken to wearing bow ties with the suits. I'm never worried about how I look to others, nor if I'm not 100% dressed up for the occasion. If it's really of concern to others, for all they know, I'm going to a good restaurant afterwards, or a function

Most may no longer view these events as requiring smarter dress, but I think it shows appreciation for the experience, as well as the dress and efforts of the performers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads