• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress code for ballet - black tie?

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't tell you what the "dress code" is, but when I lived near London I used to go to the ballet in the ROH fairly frequently.
Traditionally one would wear evening clothes - white tie, and later black tie.
Now people generally only wear black tie to opening nights and some special performances, and "smart clothes" otherwise.
Generally the more expensive your ticket is the more smartly dressed the people around you will be, there are usually a few people in djs but most people will be in suits or similar, and as you get into the cheaper seats people dress more casually, although usually still fairly smartly. I imagine in cities that are more traditional than London people dress up more -

It all depends on where you are seeing the ballet, different venues and different performances have different dress codes, there is not a universal dress code, although historically there may have been.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a classical musician I can attest that unless you're going to a special gala function you may be over dressed if you wear a tux to see the ballet. I would recommend a nice suit and tie.

I always appreciate it when an audience member wears nice clothes to a performance. You'd be surprised some of the clothing I've seen worn by people sitting in the front of the hall.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
What is the appropriate dress code for attending the ballet? Would it be black tie?
confused.gif
Can someone like Manton and/or Sator please give a definitive answer and an explanation? Thanks

I always go to the ballet the same way I go to a baseball game, except instead of wearing a baseball glove in the hope of catching a foul ball, I wear a leotard and ballet shoes in the hope of catching a dancer if she falls offstage. I almost got one last week, but the guy sitting in the row behind me stood on his seat and grabbed her.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have seen a smattering of black tie at the Metropolitan Opera (never at the NYC opera or the SF opera) but I can't recall seeing any black tie at the NYC or SF Ballet. Haven't been in a long time, though.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It all has to do with ticket prices. If you're paying over $300 for a ticket, like many are at the Met, you're totally entitled to wear a tuxedo.

aKula

Reaction score
From my experience here in Australia you wouldn't be under-dressed or out of place in a suit and tie. Your choice if you want partake in the keeping black tie alive campaign. I definitely see black tie at the opening nights of the opera here. Last time I wore black tie to the opera it wasn't opening night and I was possibly the only one there in a dinner jacket.

De Gustibus

Reaction score
In DC, I have been to the ballet at most of the normal venues, and have never seen anyone in semi formal or better, except members of the Orchestra. In fact, I have sometimes felt a bit over dressed in a navy conservative suit and tie. Mostly I have seen business casual.

If you are unsure, you can call the box office and ask them what people are wearing for this type of event. The momentary embarrassment of asking someone will pass, and will be better than feeling like you are dressed incorrectly all night.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
I can't tell you what the "dress code" is, but when I lived near London I used to go to the ballet in the ROH fairly frequently.
Traditionally one would wear evening clothes - white tie, and later black tie.
Now people generally only wear black tie to opening nights and some special performances, and "smart clothes" otherwise.
Generally the more expensive your ticket is the more smartly dressed the people around you will be, there are usually a few people in djs but most people will be in suits or similar, and as you get into the cheaper seats people dress more casually, although usually still fairly smartly.

This sounds good to me.

Although I would say rather than calling up the box office as mentioned elsewhere, I would dress smarter. I would much rather be wearing a classic suit and tie amongst "smart" members in my seat.

I say lead not follow (within reason)

I am seeing the ballet in York, England soon, and will be wearing navy suit, no tie, and one of the silk scarfs below

kannoos

Reaction score
Wear black tie if you want - who cares if other people are dressed more informally? It's not a social occasion where you're expected to dress to a similar level of formality as the other guests, and there is no stated dress code.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear whatever you're comfortable wearing, but just make sure it's clean since you'll be in close quarters with lots of people. The demographic of a ballet audience can be widely ranging, and you'll find everything from black tie to denim there, for various reasons.

I'm seeing a few ballets this weekend, and my wardrobe will vary from T-shirt, jeans, and sweater tonight because I'm going straight from work to the airport to the theater, to a suit and tie tomorrow, to jeans and sportcoat on Sunday. Similarly, last weekend were suit and tie, and jeans and sportcoat. These were/are for big companies in major US cities --- the company will be happy just to have you there, especially in these trying times.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads