• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Cane

koolmoose

Reaction score
I've lost about 80% of my vision this year to the point of being legally blind, so I've been walking with a cane since March. Honestly it's gotten pretty beat up and raggedy looking, or wabi sabi if you're a fan of TeenFA on Reddit. I don't have many formal events besides prom, homecoming, band banquet and the occasional wedding or fancy dinner, but I would be embarrassed to use it during those events. I know most people won't care, but it's a personal thing to me. If I'm going to be wearing a suit, I want to have clean dress boots, a fresh laundered and ironed shirt, and a clean, not beat up cane. My mom and girlfriend seem to think this is ridiculous but my dad and best friend agree with me. Should I buy a new cane for occasions when I need to dress business casual or more formal, or is my beat up dirty cane okay?

Astaroth

Reaction score
Havent seen just how battered it is but for "business casual" I certainly wouldnt be too bothered.

Guide canes arent something I have any particular knowledge on but even looking at the formal websites they dont appear expensive and the tips that are going to be prone to damage are replaceable. Naturally very cheap ones are available elsewhere but Im not going to recommend scrimping on something that may be a key piece of kit for you. If you are conscious about it why not have a spare just for formal occasions?

koolmoose

Reaction score
The white coating is chipping off pretty badly, and the red bottom joint looks like it's been through a wood chipper. I probably will end up getting another one soon anyways. This one is too short for me, especially when I'm wearing chelseas. Thanks for the advice

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads