• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double Breasted Style, Shorter than Single Breasted?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two of the same sport coats from the same company, the same size, but the single breasted version is about an inch longer. Why? Do you generally wear shorter double breasted coats?

BlackBrumel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
Two of the same sport coats from the same company, the same size, but the single breasted version is about an inch longer. Why? Do you generally wear shorter double breasted coats?

Is this a general rule?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, its an observation of two exact same sport coats from the same season, just single breasted vs double breasted. So I was asking if its the norm. Are db's usually shorter than single breasted?

Srynerson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
No, its an observation of two exact same sport coats from the same season, just single breasted vs double breasted. So I was asking if its the norm. Are db's usually shorter than single breasted?

There's anecdotal evidence that DBs are actually cut slightly longer than SBs by the same maker. On the other hand, some people argue that a DB should be cut shorter to achieve the same visual "bottom line" as an SB.

See discussion here: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...-jacket-length

Will C.

Reaction score
DBs can be longer.... due to the spread between buttons being a little wider on a DB.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a post from despos saying that dbs should be slightly shorter... I'm confused. Id like to buy this jacket, but its a tad shorterthan I'm used to... not sure if its part of the db look or not.

TheEdwardian

Reaction score
You can lengthen them if they have a seam allowance to do it. It has nothing intrinsic to do with the nature or quality of the coat.

In terms of what 'should' be done, I don't think there is a definitive answer, but a quick check reveals by DBs are slightly shorter. If you aren't having the thing made, it's purely visual: d you think it looks better? The 'grabbing your skirts' test is not a bad one.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Conventional wisdom dictates that double-breasted jackets be slightly shorter than a single-breasted jacket on the same pattern, but that's not a hard-and-fast rule and one inch sounds like a lot. My double-breasted jackets are only cut a centimeter shorter.

CHITON

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Conventional wisdom dictates that double-breasted jackets be slightly shorter than a single-breasted jacket on the same pattern, but that's not a hard-and-fast rule and one inch sounds like a lot. My double-breasted jackets are only cut a centimeter shorter.

+1

DB has to be shorter for the same pattern.

awxg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

What is the reason for this?

Jermyn

Reaction score
I have always been naturally inclined to have my DBs altered a little shorter than my SBs.
This is not because of a 'rule' that I am adhering to but rather a preference that has emerged from having garments altered individually, to give me the cut that I think looks best on me.

I imagine that this is because of the fact that the quarters on a SB jacket are open thus creating a 'closing point' an inch or two higher than the actual bottom of the jacket (the point where the quarters close).

Taken to a logical conclusion: the more open the qurters, the longer the jacket can be. An example of this would be a morning tailcoat - very open and very long.

Maybe one of the more experienced SFers can chime in on this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads