• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Don't Buy Used Shoes! That's what the lady says!

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought used shoes before and I think it's fine. What I really don't understand is people who buy used furniture - especially couches and tables. How the hell can a person lay their head on a used couch? That's just nasty.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I've bought used shoes before and I think it's fine. What I really don't understand is people who buy used furniture - especially couches and tables. How the hell can a person lay their head on a used couch? That's just nasty.

The same way one sits in an airline seat or in a waiting room chair at a doctor's office? Cloth upholstery should be outlawed in places like that.

Or do you hover gently above your seat on the plane, riding on a cloud of Smug?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
The same way one sits in an airline seat or in a waiting room chair at a doctor's office? Cloth upholstery should be outlawed in places like that.

Or do you hover gently above your seat on the plane, riding on a cloud of Smug?

It's much more difficult for someone to jerk off on the airplane seat or the chair in the doctor's office, and therefore much less likely. And that's why it's not the same at all.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's much more difficult for someone to jerk off on the airplane seat or the chair in the doctor's office, and therefore much less likely. And that's why it's not the same at all.

Remind me to never have a seat in your living room.
devil.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
Remind me to never have a seat in your living room.
devil.gif

Don't worry, it's safe, I dislike sitting in my own junk as much as I dislike sitting in other people's junk.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting points of view, for sure.

For me, the jury is still out on used furniture, but the used shoes thing is all psychological. I guess each of us has an idea of what constitutes used, but just having had someone else's foot in it doesn't really bother me all that much. I'd say it's probably nastier and gives one more germs just touching a public doorknob.

Of course, my image of a used shoe and when I say I'd purchase a used shoe isn't some $40 pair of Nikes that a highschooler wore everyday to play basketball; when the shoe is one like we look for here, I think we assume a greater care and so the "nasty" factor lessons somewhat.

Likewise for furniture, an $8 salvation army couch probably wouldn't be high on my list, but a $10,000 silk-upholstered job or something probably wouldn't be too bothersome. True, wealthy and tasteful people can do nasty things on their furniture as much as anybody else, but again, I think a categorical refusal can't really be justified beyond our own personal hang-ups.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Point taken about the doctor's office, but I consider airplane seats to be at the same level of hygiene as hotel bedspreads. You know you've made it when you can afford hotels that cover their duvets with an extra flat-sheet.

I enjoy used furniture but affordable mid-century almost always needs recovering anyway... and I think you'd agree that leather cleans up just fine. Junk or no junk.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
Point taken about the doctor's office, but I consider airplane seats to be at the same level of hygiene as hotel bedspreads. You know you've made it when you can afford hotels that cover their duvets with an extra flat-sheet.

I enjoy used furniture but affordable mid-century almost always needs recovering anyway... and I think you'd agree that leather cleans up just fine. Junk or no junk.

I really don't know if leather cleans up nice because I haven't looked into it, but, if you are going to have something re-upholstered, then I would assume that that removes the **** factor from the equation.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really don't know if leather cleans up nice because I haven't looked into it, but, if you are going to have something re-upholstered, then I would assume that that removes the **** factor from the equation.

I can see your point, but like anything, used furniture is available in a wide range of conditions. I know people that have furniture in their homes that they refuse to sit on. They have rooms in their house that look nice but are never used. I don't think anyone is suggesting used mattresses. And what about antiques?

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So much for vintage furniture and antiques.
rolleyes.gif
Last I heard, all of these things could be easily cleaned....

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
It's like letting the PTA into the carny world (and while I may be a member of both I don't necessarily advocate mixing).

crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
Quote of the day!!!
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif

jcriswel

Reaction score
I bought these in an eBay auction recently. Paid about $300. I could never get shoes like this at that price any where else. I'm sure everyone recognizes that these are Edward Green Chelseas.

Thanks,

jcriswel

http://img248.imageshack.us/my.php?i...reducedjj7.jpg

well-kept

Reaction score
Sometimes it's not about price, it's about finding items that are no longer available and/or a level of quality no longer available. Sometimes 'used' means worn for five minutes and put in the closet for forty years.

As for 'used' furniture I agree about couches and such but most of the furniture in my house is two hundred years old. No amount of money can buy the equivalent 'unused' item because there is no equivalent.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is worse than used shoes?

Used pants or shirts.... Ughhhh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads