• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does your wife/GF know how to cook?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some women boast about not being able to make toast. For some reason, this really bothers me. I know they are trying to make some kind of statement about not being married to "oppressive gender stereotypes." But to me, when anyone says, "I can't make toast," (man or woman), it sounds like, "I drool and wet the bed."

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend can't cook or clean at all. It's actually quite depressing.
frown.gif

But it blows her away at the fact that I can cook pretty good, so I guess it works.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I usually cook for her, or at least I used to. Lately, we've been cooking more together and as such, she's picking up on a lot of things quickly. As an aside, I'm a masterful cook.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My woman is a great cook, and also great at just making stuff up. When she lived in Spokane she would wake up at the same time I would, just so she could make me breakfast while I was in the shower and getting ready for school (I had school 3 hours before she did so she usually would go back to bed after I left). She tends to go for more Japanese/Chinese/Korean flavors, where as when I cook I stick to Mediteranian foods.

raphael

Reaction score
The poll results made me smile. You guys have either been married a long time, seriously in love, your sense of taste is severely undeveloped, or you're afraid of being forced to sleep on the couch for saying your wife can't cook.
tounge.gif

Most young women can't cook because it's no longer a skill that is taught from the early years within the family unit. That's ok, it's an attainable skill. If you have a wife or girlfriend willing to cook she's a keeper because she'll only get better at it over time, especially if there are children.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raphael
The poll results made me smile. You guys have either been married a long time, seriously in love, your sense of taste is severely undeveloped, or you're afraid of being forced to sleep on the couch for saying your wife can't cook.
tounge.gif

Most young women can't cook because it's no longer a skill that is taught from the early years within the family unit. That's ok, it's an attainable skill. If you have a wife or girlfriend willing to cook she's a keeper because she'll only get better at it over time, especially if there are children.

Well, I didn't take home ec either. I think that for the most part, if someone is going to turn-out to be a great cook, they'll have started to teach themselves before they marry because to be a great cook you have to be passionate about food. Someone that is passionate about food generally won't be content eating kraft dinner while they're single.

That's certainly why I started. I don't cook just to eat. I cook because I really enjoy the flavours and what can be done with food. In a relationship, I think that it can be a great thing to share. Personally, I'd never marry a woman that wasn't passionate about food (of course she has to keep her calories down too
bounce2.gif
)

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My babies mama is a BEAST COOK!!! my current girlfriend as cool as she is has limited skills in the Kitchen ( thank god only the kitchen
mwink[1].gif
)
I love to cook so it's something we are working on together.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My gf can bake, but not cook. She's burned pasta.
peepwall[1].gif
So I usually cook and she cleans. Cleaning sucks, so I'll take cooking any day.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
She knows how to cook in the same way that I know how to sew. I have a conceptual grasp of sewing, can do rudimentary tasks, but refuse to do so any more than absolutely necessary, and I don't try anything fancy.

It's a good thing that I can cook better than I sew.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife's a good cook, good baker. Great at improv. Only but is she's more a vegetarian than meat cook. That's ok, because I cook.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My gf is a great baker, i don't know if she can cook, because she never really has made a meal from scratch for me...
i cook plenty and love doing it....

we were walking through the mall the other day, and we saw these green dryers, they had them in red, black, etc.... i was like i would rather have a white one, she was like well if im going to be doing the laundry, i get to pick the color...

ha!

Financier

Reaction score
Now that we've settled into our boring suburban life, my wife cooks 5 nights a week on average. Good thing that she's a great cook! In our younger days we split the cooking about 50/50. I actually miss cooking, even if hers is better than mine.

lovely

Reaction score
my my.. how about cooking in the kitchen together? a lot to be explored. Oh I like to cook and hopefully my counterpart is willing to play. cooking together is an awesome way to get to know each other, or re-explore. why not take it up? like dancing, so romantic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads