• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this rub you the wrong way?...

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
This happens alot, say you go into a restaurant or some place to eat, and the server is busy bussing plates and so forth to help out the bussers (or there may be no busboys at that hour) they grab the plates, forks, spoons, cups, all on the dirty end where the customer put their mouth on and then come back with your drink or food using the same dirty hands. I understand they can get overwhelmingly busy but these items below rub me the wrong way a little:

1) they have my plate of hot food from the window, and they dont directly come drop it off to me. they make a few stops here and there, other tables, chit chat, pick up dirty utensils and plates stack them on the tray next to my food, other people talk to them over the food chit chat chit chat, saliva goes aerosoling everywhere over my food, and then after 5 minutes they drop it off to me.

2) they wipe down (usually bus boys do this and i understand they are busy as well) the tables chairs where others asses have sat, baby spit and food everywhere, (i saw one guy clean the floor up of spilled something, and then go back to the table to wipe it down with the same rag) and use that rag to wipe down your table.

3)bread baskets. appetizer baskets. they dont clean them. dirty hands touch them. they reuse them put bread in there bring it back to your table and you see little dried marinara sauce or something on the baskets from the leftover crud of previous dinees.

4) old carpet near your table. near walkways and busy intersections. these places have heavy traffic and the stepping can cause lint to go up in to the air and around you. usually old carpet is more readily lint provoked

5) do you use the open complementary condiments on your table like the tin of parmesan cheez? or the chili oil? these are open access on your table and who knows which juvenile loogied into there and that is why one of the parm chees is lumped.

I dont usually complain about these items but just more out of (again) social convo here i mention these things because it is fun and nice.

how do you take this sort of thing and how do you handle it if is an issue to you?

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
uhoh.gif
uhoh.gif
uhoh.gif
uhoh.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
how do you take this sort of thing and how do you handle it if is an issue to you?

I think I go to better places that you do.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think sho'nuff is trying out new material for his shot at being the next Andy Rooney.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really. I would be more inclined to worry about what additives/chemicals/growth hormones are in the food and I don't worry much about that either.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i m sure you do. nice that you have the capability to do that.
worship.gif

I didn't say "more expensive." Just "better." Seriously, I know some very cheap mom & pop places that are incredibly well kept.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I think sho'nuff is trying out new material for his shot at being the next Andy Rooney.

worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Doesn't it bother you when you make cultural references that everyone gets, except the person who was the target? I tell you, back when I used to make cultural references - in fact, when I once used to BE a cultural reference, around the time of Charlemagne... ah those were the days...but I digress. Wait - that's all I do these days - digress. Doesn't it bother you when you were making a point, and then digressed, and you can't really remember what your initial point was?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Doesn't it bother you when you make cultural references that everyone gets, except the person who was the target? I tell you, back when I used to make cultural references - in fact, when I once used to BE a cultural reference, around the time of Charlemagne... ah those were the days...but I digress. Wait - that's all I do these days - digress. Doesn't it bother you when you were making a point, and then digressed, and you can't really remember what your initial point was?

foo.gif

oroy38

Reaction score
You should see what they do to your food before you even see it!

On a more serious note, that's pretty disgusting. You should be going to better restaurants than that. Like Piobaire said, there are dozens of cheap ass mom & pop places that are run very tightly and are incredibly clean.

A big one for me is when you're in the bathroom and an employee happens to be in there at the same time, and they walk out without washing their hands. THAT is disgusting.

Or you see one of them picking their nose/scratching themselves/blowing their nose/etc etc and then they touch your food or something like that.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oroy38
You should see what they do to your food before you even see it!

On a more serious note, that's pretty disgusting. You should be going to better restaurants than that. Like Piobaire said, there are dozens of cheap ass mom & pop places that are run very tightly and are incredibly clean.

A big one for me is when you're in the bathroom and an employee happens to be in there at the same time, and they walk out without washing their hands. THAT is disgusting.

Or you see one of them picking their nose/scratching themselves/blowing their nose/etc etc and then they touch your food or something like that

ew. i would have a total fit if that happened to me/if i saw that.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I guess I can't invite Brian over to my house for dinner ever
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads