• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone miss the sound of a modem connecting to the internet?

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I was on Prodigy. Figured out a way to continue to get 1200 "free minutes" over and over again. Also did it on AOL. Was naughty.

I called up AOL and had them send me a case of 250 free trial disks. At that time you didn't even need a credit card to sign up for the trial, iirc.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^There are remote locations where it is the only option.

Mr. White

Reaction score
OH HELL YEAH! At one point, I was about to start a business called Angry Cat Computers. Then I realized that most people are too stupid to connect a yeowling cat to the sound of a modem. Since the stupid market was those who knew nothing of cable modems, the point was lost on them.

BTW, forget AOL. Those were the days of Net Zero and Blue Light.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That's what the second phone line is for. DUH.

smile.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
BTW, forget AOL. Those were the days of Net Zero and Blue Light.

Neither of which were around until what... 1998?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's what the second phone line is for. DUH.
smile.gif

I had a second line installed that I still use....for the modem. Have asynchronous or whatever they call it cable, and I'm on a county freaking road, while my friend, three miles away on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere, has DSL. So since I still hear the modem connecting I am mainly frustrated, not nostalgic. ~H

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I had a second line installed that I still use....for the modem. Have asynchronous or whatever they call it cable, and I'm on a county freaking road, while my friend, three miles away on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere, has DSL.

So since I still hear the modem connecting I am mainly frustrated, not nostalgic.

~H

Sucks to be you man.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sucks to be you man.
Yah well. In some surprising ways. But I am more taking to heart of late the truth of a friend's statement to me that I lead a charmed life. Which I do in some surprising ways. ~ H

Mr. White

Reaction score
Neither of which were around until what... 1998?

In your hurry to make a smart-ass comment, you seem to forget that the Internet didn't exist until 1996. In 1998, one-quarter of all the computers in the world were in California, and that state's heaviest concentration was in north San Diego County. I assure you that Net Zero use far exceeded cable modems in the early years of the Internet.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
you guys are lying if you're not at least semi-nostalgic/excited about it - it's a trained response

+1,

i also miss the sound of the ericsson cell phones when connecting. not to mention their steel frame. it was a weapon, too
smile.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
In your hurry to make a smart-ass comment, you seem to forget that the Internet didn't exist until 1996. In 1998, one-quarter of all the computers in the world were in California, and that state's heaviest concentration was in north San Diego County. I assure you that Net Zero use far exceeded cable modems in the early years of the Internet.
1996? What exactly are you talking about? Since www. was created in 1991 and the first Graphics based web browser came out in 1993, I'm not sure exactly what benchmark you are discussing here. If you are talking the first commercial ISP, it was Delphi in 1992. If you are talking about the first unrestricted access to the national internet backbone, it was 1995, and the original three companies to exploit it were AOL, Prodigy, and Compuserve. Not NetZero. NetZero - started in 1998 - Around 1 million subscribers in 1998 AOL - started providing BBS access and online gaming in 1989 - Around 15 million subscribers in 1998 I never said anything about cable modems. I was pointing out that the two companies you were talking about were relative newcomers/small timers. They are.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lately, I miss the sound. I hate malfunctioning wireless routers.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I miss the AOL's "you've got mail" voice notification since I made the switch to CIA mail.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
I miss the AOL's "you've got mail" voice notification since I made the switch to CIA mail.

My CrackBerry says "you've got mail" to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads