Does anyone like Bill Maher?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by runner-guy, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

DC Cab was his apex

I agree with that, but DC Cab was the apex for everyone involved. A true underrated classic.

That said, I kinda like Maher's show, if only because he gets some smart guests and I also think he's a pretty good interviewer. He also get's some terrible guests, unfortunately. I also hate when his intelligent conservative guests get shouted down and booed by the crowd, or his stupid uninformed liberal guests get cheered for every inane comment. But overall, I find more interesting stuff on that show than most punditainment.

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

"I don't work on January the eighth ... 'cause that's Elvis's birthday."

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

His is a bitter, angry white guy, no matter what party is in power. Also, he was allowed to rehab his public persona after a pretty big fuck up (the terrorist/courage comment) that I don't think would have been allowed if he wasn't liberal. Just my opinion, YMMV.

4. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

He's more intelligent and more informed about the issues at hand than most of his guests. I agree he runs a good interview. It's very clear that he is using caricature as a way to place emphasis and provoke - he is a comedian after all. In the broad strokes, I find that I agree with a lot of what he has to say - even though the delivery and medium are clearly not for everyone, and I doubt they get many people to really think about stuff. His crowd seems fairly brainwashed. I would add that I don't really like his style much, nor do I watch his show very often, other than when I stumble upon it.

Religulous had a few Borat-funny moments but overall, I wouldn't recommend it.

5. Manton

His is a bitter, angry white guy, no matter what party is in power. Also, he was allowed to rehab his public persona after a pretty big fuck up (the terrorist/courage comment) that I don't think would have been allowed if he wasn't liberal. Just my opinion, YMMV.

I didn't find that remark objectionable, and I hate Maher.

6. Piobaire

I didn't find that remark objectionable, and I hate Maher.

I didn't say I found it objectionable either. In fact, I think on some level he was correct. However, there's little doubt it was found objectionable by a large group of people and he lost his then current show over it.

7. Manton

I didn't say I found it objectionable either. In fact, I think on some level he was correct. However, there's little doubt it was found objectionable by a large group of people and he lost his then current show over it.

Manufactured outrage. The right so rarely gets to do it to the left that we leap at really dubious examples (see Sherrod, Shirley). That was one of them. I don't think we helped our cause any over it.

8. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Didn't Maher marry "Superhead", that really is more punishment than any man, regardless of how unfunny and bitter, should be subjected to.

9. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    "I don't work on January the eighth ... 'cause that's Elvis's birthday."
    Also Rube's and David Bowie

10. Piobaire

Manufactured outrage. The right so rarely gets to do it to the left that we leap at really dubious examples (see Sherrod, Shirley). That was one of them. I don't think we helped our cause any over it.

Agreed and agreed. In fact, he's back and going strong with his new propaganda show, so I'd say lose/lose for the outraged folks.

11. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

Agreed and agreed. In fact, he's back and going strong with his new propaganda show, so I'd say lose/lose for the outraged folks.

Bill Maher is in the manufactured outrage industry and quite good at it. He's a strong advocate of Obama's health care plan, but complains it didn't go far enough. Yet when asked about vaccinations, he says "I don't trust the government with anything, especially not my health." He's a member of PETA, favors privatizing part of Social Security, wants to end the federal funding of nonprofits, and favors racial profiling in airports.

He basically trolls for a living. Any backlash he gets is part of the game.

12. Piobaire

Bill Maher is in the manufactured outrage industry and quite good at it. He's a strong advocate of Obama's health care plan, but complains it didn't go far enough. Yet when asked about vaccinations, he says "I don't trust the government with anything, especially not my health." He's a member of PETA, favors privatizing part of Social Security, wants to end the federal funding of nonprofits, and favors racial profiling in airports.

He basically trolls for a living. Any backlash he gets is part of the game.

/mindblown.

Javyn = Bill Maher?

13. javyn

javyn Senior member

/mindblown.

Javyn = Bill Maher?

Shit, I wish I got that kinda money for trolling. But now that I think about it, yeah. Maybe that's why I hate him so much, I see some likeness.

14. suited

suited Senior member

"New Rules" can be funny. The Muslim fashion show at the end of the standup, mentioned in the OP, was also funny. The quality of his show can vary, depending on the guests.

15. javyn

javyn Senior member

The only Real Time eps I watched were the ones he had Ron Paul on. Never as a guest that I can recall, just on that big TV screen.