• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone here wash their linen?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did a search and found that you can wash linen in the machine or by hand, however it's due to the dyes and treatments applied to the linen that manufacturers put dry clean only on the tag.

So does anyone wash (either by machine or by hand) their linen pants or shirts? Have you had any problems?

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So does anyone wash (either by machine or by hand) their linen pants or shirts? Have you had any problems?
I machine wash all of my linen shirts, even those that claim they're dry clean only, on the regular cycle. I hang them up to dry. Aside from the open-weave Banana Republic shirts that get some easily-removed fuzz on them, I've had no problems at all.

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
GQgeek:

I think more and more garment manufacturers are putting in the "dry clean only" label for protection against customers who don't know how to wash clothes and as a "give some business to our friends the dry cleaners" project.

Linen should be able to be machine or hand washed. Warm or cold water, no chlorine bleach.

Jcusey has a great point about not letting the garment dry. I take most of my clothes out of the dryer after only a few spins and hang them up damp (or iron them damp).

Andy

acole

Reaction score
Got a couple pairs of RL linen pants off eBay just recently for summer wear...one cream/black glen plaid, one off-white. I laughed off the dry clean only label, threw them in the wash at 40C, and line dried. After ironing, they look just fine.

sleeper

Reaction score
I have had bad experiences with linen trousers being machine washed, although this may be because of the ineptness of our maid. I ended up with wrinkles being fixed into the cloth, as grey lines, an effect similar to being stone-washed. Not something you want with bespoke trousers. I think they shrank as well.

I now have my linen coats hand washed, and then dried on a rack. I don't have any more linen trousers on which to experiment, as I shifted over to light cotton, not, I should add, because of this experience.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wash in the gentle cycle all my linen shirts and any linen pants that aren't lined - if the pants are lined, they get dry cleaned

i have not had any difficulty in washing linen in the machine, it of course needs ironing thereafter but comes out fine

and the reason that manufacturers put dry clean only in labels is that they are mandated by law to put at least one method of cleaning the garment on a label, but not necessarily all the methods or the best method of cleaning an item - as such, dry clean only is simple, pretty well anything can be dry cleaned

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads