• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doc Marten Boots In Style Anymore?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ nice collection

keredog

Reaction score
@etcetera, in the last pictures of your shoes, are all of the (5) 5 eyelet shoes 8053's and the (3) 3-eyelet shoes all 1461's?

And are those 2 shoes similar in shape and design? I'm looking for a less bulbous and sleeker look.

FrankNine

Reaction score
My friend from Milan still rocks them, but she is pretty much a metal head so its not surprising
smile.gif
she will rock them till forever!

etcetera

Reaction score
Originally Posted by keredog
@etcetera, in the last pictures of your shoes, are all of the (5) 5 eyelet shoes 8053's and the (3) 3-eyelet shoes all 1461's? And are those 2 shoes similar in shape and design? I'm looking for a less bulbous and sleeker look.
Very similar if not the same. I have four 5-eyelet, three 4-eyelet and two 3-eyelet. They feel identical to me, with the exception of padded collar and more eyelets which I prefer. I think there is no reason to get 1461 if you can get 8053 which is all that and more.

eightbitfit

Reaction score
I've got several pairs of boots/shoes now:

White 1460 MIC
Black 1460 MIC
Oxblood 1460 MIE Vintage
Midnight blue /w blue stitches (limited) MIT
Crazy Horse 1460 (early 90s, MIE)
Another pair of 90s steel cap 6 eyes that are no longer made (can't recall the number)
Fat-soled greasy gibsons (early 90s, MIE)
Cherry red 1461 MIC, not worn yet
Nappa black / black stitch 1461 MIC, not worn yet.

On my first pair of MIC whites the finish started lifting in some places. DM Japan replaced them for free.
My black MICs I bought at the same time have begun to lift and crack after almost 5 months of daily wear.
My MIE Oxbloods have also begun to crack in the toe creases.

Conclusion: In general no pair produced today is a good as the old ones, but I still remember my first pair of 1460s I bought in 1987. They also lost the finish after a while after it all cracked and began to flake off. I still love them though. They are generally inexpensive and very comfortable.

Astronaut888

Reaction score
forgiveness if this has been discussed before or is a silly question. I noticed recently that the Dr Martens MIEs I have been seeing look different than mine. The eyelets of mine are not metal......was looking to pick up some oxblood MIE shoes online, and noticed that they have metal eyelets - mine do not. Here are some photos........
001-3.jpg
004-2.jpg
008-1.jpg
009.jpg
Picked these up many many years ago at a spot that was going out of business......likely before Docs were ever made anywhere except England.... when I picked them up, I was unaware that production had moved and only recently looked at them and noticed that they were MIEs. Got them for about $15. Last pair in the store. they were missing laces and I never got around to getting new ones until recently..........have been in closet for at least 10 plus years Perhaps they are seconds of some sort. Is this eyelet normal? Of course, I see that the eyelet has metal on the inside......is it just missing a piece of the grommet that should be on the outside?

Fischschleim PhD.

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the greasy black finish?
Would they be a good choice if you weren't exactly looking to draw a lot of attention to them? I'm guessing they would be less shiny.

Thanks

eightbitfit

Reaction score
^ In that case you might like nappa w/ black stitches. So understated almost boring ;-)

Last edited:

OttawaGuy

Reaction score
Hello, just signed up so I could get in on this thread. I bought a pair of Doc Marten Orsons 2 yrs ago. This was my first time purchasing Docs, and I loved how comfortable they felt! Earlier this week I noticed something felt kinda off with my shoes, I take them off and find the sole has developed a HUGE crack!! I wasn't expecting my Docs to wear out after only 2 yrs! But I guess since they're MIC now, quality has gone down? Has anyone ever had a similar problem with the soles splitting open?

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like a function of the way you walk. See how the wear is along the pad of your foot?

My soles have worn down some, but I walk miles every day. They're not expensive shoes, it's not that big of a deal if you have to buy new ones.

OttawaGuy

Reaction score
It looks like a function of the way you walk. See how the wear is along the pad of your foot?

My soles have worn down some, but I walk miles every day. They're not expensive shoes, it's not that big of a deal if you have to buy new ones.

So it's not necessarily poor quality on the part of Doc Martens? This is the first time I've had this happen to a pair of shoes. I was also considering buying the Doc Marten Manton chukka boots, but became apprehensive when I found what happened to the soles.

Christobevii3

Reaction score
I have had 3 pairs of docs and 2 made in england and 1 made in china and they all split from the inside where the shoe bends with enough time. Mine are just like an inch in though and not across the whole bottom. I think it is a problem with the shoes not scaling well to size. I wear a size 13/14 in them where my friend at work that wears like an 8 has no issues.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElinaRaupi