• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear shorts?

woolf1991

Reaction score
i hear mm84321 is a ***** and a terrible chef...just word on the street.

anywho, shorts are totally ok and allow for some more colorful fashion than pants...such as an all over print would look silly in pant form, but looks really cool as a pair of shorts

plus, whats more attractive...calves (assuming your shorts are of an acceptable length) or sweaty and subsequently smelly legs? your choice fellas

PLaydice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
Did I mention my $340 Hermes boxer shorts, Philistine?
I agree, the mentioning of brand name is almost unheard of on this forum.
I am rather pleased with my black Brioni t-shirt.
I haven't found another that is quite as nice.
They aren't made for everybody, thought.

These shorts originally cost $1200 for MTM Hermes shorts, and required three trips to France.

So shoes, shorts, boxers, t-shirt, RLPL shirt, were talking $2675 retail, pretty much above your station, but they don't really screen for finances in accepting forum members.

P.S. everything was purchased on Ebay deeply discounted ($15 for the shorts) , so even if you could afford these items, I'd still own you, because you over paid.

ypCFA.jpg

Yes, you are the man you dropped pics of your Hermes boxers AND called dude a "philistine". Awesome
worship.gif

sbergl

Reaction score
I don't think that shorts are "uncouth" or "decorous" as you say. I wear shorts because I don't enjoy being uncomfortably warm outside. They allow me to enjoy the outdoors more than when I'm sweating in discomfort from the sweltering New York on the Brooklyn Promenade. While the same can be said of wearing any "comfortable" clothing in public (ie: sweatpants or hoodies) which I avoid, the principle behind shorts is a bit different.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear shorts, but Ralph Lauren linen or linen/silk pants are wayyyyyyyyyy better.

WUKILLABEEZ78

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Amy Winehouse is the exception that proves the rule. Her body should be wrapped in duct tape at all times, when in public (at home as well, if she has any pets).

It's not just about being in "great shape". I don't care if you possess the calve muscles of Troy himself; it's not about that. It's about manners and propriety.

Manners have nothing to do with what kind of clothing one choose to wear. I agree that in certain situations proprieties should be observed. If an event is semi-formal/formal you don't show up underdressed. But there is nothing wrong with wearing shorts out to eat or in other informal situations. Not every meal is a formal affair. Not every outing is a formal affair. Some people are more uptight about things than others (especially on this site). Nothing wrong with that.

I feel many here feel nice clothing can make up for or hide the fact that they aren't in the best of shape. The clothes don't make the man. The man makes the clothes. I'll wait until I start to show outward signs of physical decline before just packing it in and discontinuing dressing in a way that shows my virility. Some people my age have already reached that point. I haven't and still have many youthful years ahead of me to enjoy...

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WUKILLABEEZ78
Manners have nothing to do with what kind of clothing one choose to wear.
Not true.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by woolf1991
i hear mm84321 is a ***** and a terrible chef...just word on the street.
Who told you?
Originally Posted by sbergl
the principle behind shorts is a bit different.
The principle does not supersede the ideal.
Originally Posted by WUKILLABEEZ78
Manners have nothing to do with what kind of clothing one choose to wear. I agree that in certain situations proprieties should be observed. If an event is semi-formal/formal you don't show up underdressed. But there is nothing wrong with wearing shorts out to eat or in other informal situations. Not every meal is a formal affair. Not every outing is a formal affair. Some people are more uptight about things than others (especially on this site). Nothing wrong with that.
Wrong. Life is a formal affair.
I feel many here feel nice clothing can make up for or hide the fact that they aren't in the best of shape. The clothes don't make the man. The man makes the clothes. I'll wait until I start to show outward signs of physical decline before just packing it in and discontinuing dressing in a way that shows my virility. Some people my age have already reached that point. I haven't and still have many youthful years ahead of me to enjoy...
Agreed. Spend your youth with class.
Originally Posted by Tck13
I disagree a LOT!
+1
Originally Posted by gort
Ever actually sweat through your pants?
See:
Originally Posted by mm84321
Also, my legs never sweat because I maintain my milieu intÃ
00a9.png
rieur with great efficiency, and regulate my body temperature with an insouciant ease, even in the hottest of climates. I won't sacrifice my ideals for the sake of diaphoresis.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
WUKILLABEEZ78;4544460 said:
Manners have nothing to do with what kind of clothing one choose to wear.

That is the main problem with many so-called igents...

They do forget to act like gents...

IsteRed

Reaction score
I don't wear shorts,but sometimes i hardly resist the temptation to wear them,in summers it's getting up to 45C(113F) and sometimes even more in here.Maybe sometimes when i go to my gym which is like 400-500 meters away from my home,i'd throw on shorts.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IsteRed
I don't wear shorts,but sometimes i hardly resist the temptation to wear them,in summers it's getting up to 45C(113F) and sometimes even more in here.Maybe sometimes when i go to my gym which is like 400-500 meters away from my home,i'd throw on shorts.

You live in the Sahara? Try a Kaftan.

Carlisle Blues

Reaction score
@ mm84321 You really had me thinking. I was going to get rid of all my shorts then I saw a picture of me taken recently. Nothing will even convince me to stop wearing these babies...
is9sqjs9q9333jj3a.jpg

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HA. Totally acceptable, in my book.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Carlisle Blues
@ mm84321 You really had me thinking. I was going to get rid of all my shorts then I saw a picture of me taken recently. Nothing will even convince me to stop wearing these babies...

is9sqjs9q9333jj3a.jpg

Unbutton the bottom button, you heathen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads