• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear a blazer?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm in the process of ordering a navy sportcoat, my first. It will not have shiny buttons, so I hesitate to call it a blazer. I've held off so long because I think they can look boring, and are such an easy option. Also, they can have a certain air about them that I'm not sure I like. I'm in my mid twenties but am married and often dress older than my real age. I don't want it to get out of hand, though.

Anyway, it made me wonder. Do you wear a blazer? If so, how, when, why? If not, why not?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wear a blue sportcoat with horn buttons quite often. I would be lost without mine.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a Canali 3 button rolled to 2 with side vents and smoked grey buttons. I've worn it with jeans, grey flannels and other wool trousers, both with and without a tie depending on the situation. The only thing that prevents me from wearing it more is the fit. I've never been happy with how it fits me. I am going to try another tailor that was recommended to me and see if he can remedy the situation. So personally I get a lot of use out of it. I'm in my mid thirties though so take that for what it's worth.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that a blue jacket(I prefer blue horn buttons and I don't care that some may think that it's a orphaned suit jacket) is the single most versatile piece of tailored clothing in a gentleman's wardrobe. The first two acquisitions in building a wardrobe should be a solid gray suit and a blue jacket, which immediately will give you two outfits which incidentally are perfect for business travel.

Tyto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I wear a blue sportcoat with horn buttons quite often. I would be lost without mine.

Exactly my sentiments, as well. I've often thought about getting a true blazer, school buttons and all, but can't seem to justify it.

Aureus

Reaction score
I've got a Burberry navy blazer that I wear to the occasional event. Its just a good looking classic style and is not limited to any age group. I'm 19 and I need to be in a suit or a blazer and slacks combo at least once a week, and to only wear suits or to completely ignore the navy blazer would get boring quickly for me.

I've worn it with jeans and slacks. Its a very good multifunctional item to have kicking around.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I keep coming back to the versatility. Navy looks good with so many colors of trousers, and will work well with all my patterned shirts.

Mine will either have horn or dark MOP buttons. It's going to be single breasted three-roll-two, notch lapelled, side vented, partially lined, with three open patch pockets.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear it to church and to conferences, where it's part of the "uniform". My blazer needs to be replaced and I want some distinctive touches on the next one, maybe a nice weave to the fabric (suggestions?), but definitely not the shiny brass buttons.

wpeters

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I keep coming back to the versatility.

I resisted buying one well into my twenties because I never pictured myself as a "blazer person." I finally had one made with dark pewter buttons a few years ago, and wear it more than any other jacket. It is incredibly versatile - I don't know how I ever did without it.

Dmntd

Reaction score
I've never owned a blazer, but it seems like a good choice for adding a touch of class and style to my casual wardrobe. I'm thinking about having a dark burgandy, velvet 2B - SB ventless blazer, 4 button working cuffs and rounded notch lapels made using these
but426_mk2.gif
- buttons. Dmntd

horton

Reaction score
depending on skin complexion you might opt for a slightly lighter blue, retaining versatility but avoiding traditional blazer look (avoid shiny buttons too).

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmntd
I've never owned a blazer, but it seems like a good choice for adding a touch of class and style to my casual wardrobe. I'm thinking about having a dark burgandy, velvet 2B - SB ventless blazer, 4 button working cuffs and rounded notch lapels made using these
but426_mk2.gif
- buttons. Dmntd

Sounds very interesting and I like those buttons. Post pictures if you have it made.

Welcome to the forum.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a blazer on an almost daily basis. (My office is business casual, but it is a rather dressy "casual.") I love 'em - they are very versatile. Some are year-round, others are heavier wool for the colder months or ultra-light wool or cashmere for summertime.

kcgreg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I'm in the process of ordering a navy sportcoat, my first. It will not have shiny buttons, so I hesitate to call it a blazer. I've held off so long because I think they can look boring, and are such an easy option. Also, they can have a certain air about them that I'm not sure I like. I'm in my mid twenties but am married and often dress older than my real age. I don't want it to get out of hand, though. Anyway, it made me wonder. Do you wear a blazer? If so, how, when, why? If not, why not?
I have worn blazers over the years but now have run with sportcoats strictly speaking.
blush.gif
I have two Tom James made of very super fine 180's wool and the feel of the jackets are really soft and luxurious. I really love them.
inlove.gif
However, I must add that I wish I could send some pictures but I have not invested in a digital camera yet...I will though. I wear them when I am in casual meetings as an accountant and a financial consultant - as this is not so a fierce look. I wear my suits when I am negotiating deals and finance and when I need the power I wear my "f*** you pinstripes suit" and that really puts the fear of God in people. I prefer wearing sportcoats now to blazers as the blazer combination that I know or use to wear was a dark navy blazer with gold self emblem buttons of the family crest and beige pants and probably burgundy shoes. Very traditional I think.
smile.gif
I hope this helps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads