Do you wear a blazer?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chorse123, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

Anyway, it made me wonder. Do you wear a blazer? If so, how, when, why? If not, why not?

Yes. Blazers are indispensable in my wardrobe. My body shape has changed very little in the last three decades. So, I simply kept adding to my wardrobe of fashionably invisible clothes as time and budget allowed. Resultantly, I have collected a fair number of always-in-style blazers over the years. I enjoy them one and all.

Hanging in the closet amongst the odd jackets are four of the two button Oxxford hopsack single-breasted blazers in a light tobacco, a medium gray, a darker blue, and a navy blue. The tobacco is unvented and has patch pockets while the others have the more typically seen center vent and welted pockets with flaps. The buttons are the older style metal ones in which a thin, grooved surface blank is press fit onto the back that's sewn to the jacket. Whether the buttons are brass-colored or pewter-colored, they are supplied to Oxxford with a faux patina.

Additionally, there are two old Sulka odd jackets with metal buttons hanging with the others. The Sulka jackets are blazerish. One is a two button single-breasted black camel hair with patch pockets. It has no vent. The gold-tone buttons are textured in a heavy basket weave pattern and marked Sulka on the back. The other is a navy blue cashmere two button with hacking (and a ticket) pockets and dual vents. However, the gold-tone buttons have a black insert with the older Sulka script in a gold color.

Then . . . there is also one unvented double-breasted (six into two) Oxxford navy blue gabardine model with the same brass buttons and their faux patina. This blazer was shown in my avatar prior to the server crash. Now, I'll have to dig-up that or some other photo to complete the newest SF file.

It just seems that the single-breasted blazers are tremendously versatile. They serve well for any event. I can dress-up or dress-down with those. Invariably, the moment someone spies me in the navy blue double-breasted gabardine, the good-natured comments about Commander Schwepps or Admiral so-and-so begin. [​IMG]

I have a few other solid color odd jackets with bone buttons. However, I think they appear too dressy to even go without a tie. When I am not certain of a dress code and don't want to miss the mark, I usually wear a blazer. I just bring a tie discreetly folded and tucked into an interior pocket of a blazer. If the event looks like it calls for a tie, I am prepared. Otherwise, the tie stays hidden.

2. rich

rich Member

Are brass buttons really considered to be that bad?

3. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

I've got a navy DB blazer from Zegna that I love. I look for reasons to wear it all the time.

4. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Are brass buttons really considered to be that bad?

I'm sort of surprised by the hostility to them I've been seeing. They don't bother me too much. They're on my standard-issue RL Polo navy blazer, and don't look childish or anything.

5. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I don't think they look childish, but they strike me as more old-mannish, and definitely more dressy. I like some metal buttons, and will get them at some point, but would rather spend money elsewhere for the time being.

I have a double-breasted grey jacket (chester barrie) that had enamel crest buttons when I bought it. I replaced them with smoked MOP buttons from Tender Buttons in NYC. Looks extraordinarily dashing. Perhaps too dashing.

6. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

For me, I cannot picture wearing a jacket without a tie unless it would be in a few special situations:

late hours at work, end of a very long evening or around a small group very close friends at the end of the evening.

There's something about the look that just doesn't work for me. It's undeniable that some people can pull it off and pull it off well.

7. thinman

thinman Senior member

I'm sort of surprised by the hostility to them I've been seeing. They don't bother me too much. They're on my standard-issue RL Polo navy blazer, and don't look childish or anything.

I'm not hostile toward brass buttons, they're just not my style. If they work for others, great.

8. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I am an avid blazer fan. I have three at the moment:

A moderately priced Nordstrom's house-brand navy blazer I bought around 13 years ago and is still giving good service. It has brass buttons. This is my "knockabout" blazer. I am wearing it at this moment.

My good navy blazer made from VBC Super 130 by W.W. Chan. It has enameled buttons from Holland & Sherry in the "four lions" design. Love that garment.

My new green blazer, also from Chan, also made from VBC Super 130. It has buttons from Benson & Clegg in burgundy with a lion passant gardant in gold on them. It is my favorite jacket.

I am planning to order a DB navy blazer with enameled buttons from Chan on their November tour so I'll have it in time for next spring. Obviously, I am a big fan of blazers. I find them handsome, extremely versatile garments that I wear a great deal of the time. What more can I say?

9. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I wear my fitted corduroy blazer all the time. <3

10. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

I'm not hostile toward brass buttons, they're just not my style. If they work for others, great.

I feel the same way. Personally, I don't want a blazer with brass buttons but I have no ill feelings towards them on someone else's jacket.

11. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Well the brass buttons came from Navy seamen's coats, which is why blue blazers oftentime have them.

If anyone makes a joke about "seamen", I will die.

12. Dmntd

Dmntd Member

While tinkering with design details for a bespoke blazer, a couple of thoughts have come to mind. Things like having the collar and lapels done in black, velvet or even satin.

Any reason not to use satin?

On a working cuff, is the number of buttons simply a matter of choice or is there a reason behind the number of buttons?

which looks best, the buttons starting at the edge of the cuff or 1/2" back from the edge?

Why not 5 or 6 button cuffs? other then the buttons I'm looking at are $13.00 ea.

Anthony

13. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

While tinkering with design details for a bespoke blazer, a couple of thoughts have come to mind. Things like having the collar and lapels done in black, velvet or even satin.

Any reason not to use satin?

On a working cuff, is the number of buttons simply a matter of choice or is there a reason behind the number of buttons?

which looks best, the buttons starting at the edge of the cuff or 1/2" back from the edge?

Why not 5 or 6 button cuffs? other then the buttons I'm looking at are $13.00 ea.

Anthony

All excellent choices and worthy of your user-name[​IMG]

14. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I have a black(-ish) Corneliani three button blazer, nice shoulder, I think roped. Problem is that I just NEVER wear it. Hell, I even wore that "El-Crappo" thrift-shop gray Armani Collezioni ultra lightweight unconstructed sportcoat last week for I think the third time yet I have still to wear ONCE that Corneliani... I should probably sell it [​IMG]

15. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

I have both a blue blazer with gold buttons and one with horn buttons. I find both of them to be very versatile and just vary them depending on the look I want to project.