• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you throw clothes away?

velobran

Reaction score
All of my stuff and my wife's stuff that we don't want gets hauled down to Brazil during vacation and donated.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
First stop for old clothes is the "beater" pile ... although as Get Smart said, I am starting to question whether any of that stuff actually gets worn ...

Second stop is the "rag" pile. They come in very handy for house painting. Sure I have drop cloths, but there are always little areas where the plastic or canvas doesn't cover. Old clothes also come in very handy for boot/shoe polishing, and in a pinch for gun cleaning if I run out of bore patches.

Third stop is the trash can ... by this time the clothes already have paint/gun solvent/shoe polish on them so nobody is gonna take them.

Eagle

Reaction score
Twice per year (Spring and Fall), the wife and I take garments that have not been worn during the season to the Goodwill store or to one of two church resale shops. Unserviceable items get thrown away.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
I:
Give to my brother
My brother takes (tries) whenever visiting
Salvation Army
Sometimes Ebay if it's a designer item

Only tee's and bashed up sneakers get thrown.

Syl

Reaction score
We store our summer & winter clothing respectively each change of season. When the next summer/winter come around and we're taking out the clothes out of storage, we go through things and purge. Typically if we haven't worn the item the last time then it's donated to charity (if in good condition) or attempted to be sold (if in great condition and will sell). We only do this for things that we no longer wear because we don't like it, not because it's fallen out of fashion.

Seanallen

Reaction score
I like donating my old clothes to Goodwill, hopefully someone finds them one day and likes them.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just cleared my closet of half my old clothes, donated them to charity.. Alot of it i wouldnt wear anymore because im 80 pounds lighter, but i still sometimes feel guilty for getting rid of a ton of expensive clothes... Makes me realize how much i spend on alot of clothes that are rarley worn, then discarded..

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My father gets first dibs on stuff I don't wear anymore (hand me ups?). He's accumulated everything from clarks shoes to boss golf pants from this. Of the remaining, I'll toss whatever is very worn, and donate the rest to the salvation army.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
...Unless they're rags I really hope people are donating their stuff to Goodwill, Salv Army, etc. It takes five more minutes than just dumping it in the garbage, it's for a good cause, another man's treasure, tax writeoff, etc. etc. etc. ...
+1. I hate waste.

Originally Posted by andyw
...never. They get recycled in this order:
Ebay
Friends
Salvation Army
Shoe rags

This is a good system.

I do the same, but substitute eBay for "brothers." And I don't just use the rags for shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads