• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you tailor your tee shirts?

mrtophat

Reaction score
also agree with everyone above that alt apparel has the best t-shirts.

I think there's a little bit of shrinkage b/c the shirts fit much better, slimmer after one wash for me. this might be why the modeled shirts look a little formless.

try the 100% pima ones and the organics. if you look around, you can get them for under 15 bucks.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just saw this thread after chiming in in the other thread.

Yep, I do. I like having cheap clothing that looks more expensive. I just don't get the aversion towards altering a tee to fit on this board.

Hell, I may start tailoring out cheaper clothing and selling it if people don't want to visit the tailor themselves...

word

Reaction score
Um, no. Why would anybody alter a t-shirt? Buy one that fits and stop being so picky like it's a button-up or something.

Automated Response

Reaction score
Originally Posted by word
stop being so picky
You're in a forum dedicated solely to STYLE, and this is your advice? Get out now.

jon bones

Reaction score
nope

the most expensive tee i own is an old BAPE tee and it fits me fine as a Small.

for basic tees, BDG or AA poly blend smalls fit just fine

markuk

Reaction score
Never done it myself but see nothing wrong in getting it done if it gives you a better fit and you want to look and feel your best .

Suit , shirt , t shirt , whats the difference , we all wanna look our best no matter what we've got on
smile.gif

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davine
That sounds interesting. Can you post a picture of a tee altered like this?
Basically, turn the shirt inside out. Get a needle and about 2' (just to have some to work with, you don't use it all) of thread. Start somewhere near the armpit seam, and begin sewing toward the end of the sleeve. The point is to end up with a tighter sleeve, so you want to move your line of stitching up from the old bottom sleeve seam, say .5" to 1", depending how much you want to tighten the sleeve. Continue your line of stitching parallel to the old bottom sleeve seam until you reach the end of the sleeve. Once you're at the end, you can double-back and put in two rows of stitching for strength, or just finish of the line of stitches with a little knot. Voila. It works pretty well, sometimes you get a little 'pulling' at the armpit area when you wear the shirt again, but it's a T, so no one will notice.

dblb48

Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
Yes, I put a little line of stiching from the armpit to the sleeve end, just to tighten the sleeves a little. I hate the look when your arms don't fill out the sleeves. I do it by hand, so it's quick and free.

or you could, you know LIFT WEIGHTS thereby avoiding pulling one of the top 3 douche moves known to man.

ramp

Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with it. I just got a Wings+Horns tee that fits nicely in the shoulders, but the chest is a bit too big and it's something like 29" long. I like the graphic and would also like to wear it without looking like I'm wearing a sack, so I'll get it altered.

jake8078

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tahonng
I was seriously considering doing the sleeve tightening thing.

Doesn't seem douchey to me, some tees just have too much fabric.

+1

Not to mention weightlifting is what's caused my fit problems. Tees that fit nice in the shoulders / chest have way too much fabric in the waist.

a-rock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dblb48
or you could, you know LIFT WEIGHTS thereby avoiding pulling one of the top 3 douche moves known to man.

Altering a sleeve, albeit on a T-shirt, so it fits nicely is one of the top 3 douche moves known to man?

But intentionally focusing on working out your bicep just so you can fill out a shirt is not douchey at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads