1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do you tailor your tee shirts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by phxlawstudent, Dec 30, 2009.

1. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

Do people really walk into a tailor's and ask to have their tee shirts altered? And do this with a straight face? And don't get laughed at?
    What type of person refuses work? Its not like the typical tailor (I call them alterationists) actually make garments. They usually suck at major surgery on suits because they don't know how to construct one from scratch. I bet most of their work is altering the waist, hem, and sleeve length of clothing. Would I even think about asking a real tailor to do it? No. Not only is the labor charge not worth it, I have better things for him to do. Like make me a suit, or shirt, or pants. Besides, he charges a lot for his time. I'm talking about the alterations shop that only deals with alterations. Doesn't make or necessarily know how to create garments from scratch. You know, the ones that charge you $10-12 to hem pants and $15 to take in the waist of a shirt. Thats $15 more dollars for that store. Everyone wins. edit: You know, for such a style-forward place, I would imagine the people would be more receptive to getting the perfectly fitting garment. We do it to button downs, pants, jeans, suits, etc. We wear a t-shirt on its own, why wouldn't we want to look our best in said t-shirt?

2. chentwoten

chentwoten Member

3. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

Get uniqlo tshirts problem solved, I have a big drop too and they look fine.

4. andyw

andyw Senior member

Yup, Uniqlo a perfect fit for me.

5. w.kevin

w.kevin Senior member

edit: You know, for such a style-forward place, I would imagine the people would be more receptive to getting the perfectly fitting garment. We do it to button downs, pants, jeans, suits, etc. We wear a t-shirt on its own, why wouldn't we want to look our best in said t-shirt?

Your mistake is that you assume most of us actually wear t-shirts frequently. Maybe as an under layer, but it's not something that typically garners a second thought. You're in the minority of people who have difficulty finding a well-fitting tee.

6. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

FWIW Zara has a "Super Slim Fit" shirt that fits very well.

7. gt33

gt33 Senior member

mossimo athletic fit v's from target are good

8. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

Your mistake is that you assume most of us actually wear t-shirts frequently. Maybe as an under layer, but it's not something that typically garners a second thought. You're in the minority of people who have difficulty finding a well-fitting tee.
    I can only assume most of America and by extension, this forum does not have an athletic body shape. However, what does that have to do with open-mindedness about tailoring a t-shirt? I'm open to a better solution. But so far I haven't seen any. I'll check out uniqlo's website, but I'm not holding out much hope that it will be better than BR or Boss. edit: They all look tubular in construction.

9. w.kevin

w.kevin Senior member

I can only assume most of America and by extension, this forum does not have an athletic body shape. However, what does that have to do with open-mindedness about tailoring a t-shirt?

I'm open to a better solution. But so far I haven't seen any. I'll check out uniqlo's website, but I'm not holding out much hope that it will be better than BR or Boss.

I'm saying the reason everyone is putting down tailoring tees is because they don't share the same issue.

IME Uniqlo is more unforgiving than BR's tees.. seems more suited for skinny guys. If you have to tailor a tee, just go for it.

10. CosmicOsmo

CosmicOsmo Senior member

I did look at their site, and the shirts look good on those models, but those models are almost anorexic when compared to myself.

Checked ebay for some "real people" models. Bingo! And they look like they aren't very aggressively tapered at all. [​IMG]

I have a 10" drop (42 chest to 32 waist) and the best fitting T in my closet by far is an Alternative organic crew. It's not aggressively tapered per-se but the material has this fantastic way of conforming to your shape without making you look like you're wearing your little brother's shirt; I think the reason it looks so shapeless on that model is because the model himself is doughy and shapeless [​IMG] The problem I usually have with shirts is that they'll tend to billow out in the back but this shirt fits great all over.

I got mine here:

http://tinyurl.com/yjvtvsv

$7 for the 3.5oz organic crew vs $28 direct from alternative! Honestly their shipping is slow and their service is poor but at those prices it's still totally worth it.

11. mrtophat

mrtophat Well-Known Member

also agree with everyone above that alt apparel has the best t-shirts.

I think there's a little bit of shrinkage b/c the shirts fit much better, slimmer after one wash for me. this might be why the modeled shirts look a little formless.

try the 100% pima ones and the organics. if you look around, you can get them for under 15 bucks.

12. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

Just saw this thread after chiming in in the other thread.

Yep, I do. I like having cheap clothing that looks more expensive. I just don't get the aversion towards altering a tee to fit on this board.

Hell, I may start tailoring out cheaper clothing and selling it if people don't want to visit the tailor themselves...

13. word

word Senior member

Um, no. Why would anybody alter a t-shirt? Buy one that fits and stop being so picky like it's a button-up or something.

14. Automated Response

Automated Response Senior member

stop being so picky
    You're in a forum dedicated solely to STYLE, and this is your advice? Get out now.

15. underwearer

underwearer Senior member

Im surprised by some of the responses. Its not like hes getting an Asia poster framed.

16. mrtophat

mrtophat Well-Known Member

I have a couple graphic tees that I intend to do when I get around to it.

17. jon bones

jon bones Senior member

nope

the most expensive tee i own is an old BAPE tee and it fits me fine as a Small.

for basic tees, BDG or AA poly blend smalls fit just fine

18. markuk

markuk Member

Never done it myself but see nothing wrong in getting it done if it gives you a better fit and you want to look and feel your best .

Suit , shirt , t shirt , whats the difference , we all wanna look our best no matter what we've got on [​IMG]

19. longskate88

longskate88 Senior member

That sounds interesting. Can you post a picture of a tee altered like this?
    Basically, turn the shirt inside out. Get a needle and about 2' (just to have some to work with, you don't use it all) of thread. Start somewhere near the armpit seam, and begin sewing toward the end of the sleeve. The point is to end up with a tighter sleeve, so you want to move your line of stitching up from the old bottom sleeve seam, say .5" to 1", depending how much you want to tighten the sleeve. Continue your line of stitching parallel to the old bottom sleeve seam until you reach the end of the sleeve. Once you're at the end, you can double-back and put in two rows of stitching for strength, or just finish of the line of stitches with a little knot. Voila. It works pretty well, sometimes you get a little 'pulling' at the armpit area when you wear the shirt again, but it's a T, so no one will notice.

20. word

word Senior member

You're in a forum dedicated solely to STYLE, and this is your advice?

Get out now.

Dude, it's a t-shirt.