Do you tailor your tee shirts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by phxlawstudent, Dec 30, 2009.

1. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

So I've pretty much given up on finding a perfectly fitting t-shirt. I've got a ~9" drop.

Just wondering if anyone thinks its worth it or has had their t-shirts altered by a tailor.

2. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

3. fudgebutt

fudgebutt Well-Known Member

4. longskate88

longskate88 Senior member

Yes, I put a little line of stiching from the armpit to the sleeve end, just to tighten the sleeves a little. I hate the look when your arms don't fill out the sleeves. I do it by hand, so it's quick and free.

5. bows1

bows1 Senior member

I've taken in the body of a T a few times just for practice. They fit better afterwards. [​IMG]

6. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

buy an Alternative apparel tshirt. those are perhaps the best fits i have ever experienced in a tshirt vneck tshirt. they are a little blend, and they stretch and snug around your torso and arms for a fitted look.

7. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

I used to, (tapered them myself, going to a tailor is just dumb to me) then I discovered Alt App. [​IMG]

8. Robert

Robert Senior member

Do people really walk into a tailor's and ask to have their tee shirts altered? And do this with a straight face? And don't get laughed at?

9. RyJ Maduro

RyJ Maduro Senior member

No.

Besides my Army-issued shirts and a few sets of letters, I don't wear t-shirts.

10. dusty

dusty Senior member

Yes, I put a little line of stiching from the armpit to the sleeve end, just to tighten the sleeves a little. I hate the look when your arms don't fill out the sleeves. I do it by hand, so it's quick and free.
    I do this sometimes, this is not tailoring. Taking a t-shirt into a tailor would be preposterous.

11. Davine

Davine Well-Known Member

That sounds interesting. Can you post a picture of a tee altered like this?

12. adidasaj

adidasaj Active Member

That sounds interesting. Can you post a picture of a tee altered like this?
    Yeah I'd be curious too.... I've never even thought about it before.

But I do have a few t-shirts that I wish fit a bit better in certain areas.

13. phxlawstudent

buy an Alternative apparel tshirt. those are perhaps the best fits i have ever experienced in a tshirt vneck tshirt. they are a little blend, and they stretch and snug around your torso and arms for a fitted look.

I used to, (tapered them myself, going to a tailor is just dumb to me) then I discovered Alt App. [​IMG]

I've searched high and low for the perfect fitted t-shirt, closest I've come is Boss, and thats not that close. Plus its freaking expensive.

Could you post pics of the AA shirts on a real person? ie, you.

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

I've searched high and low for the perfect fitted t-shirt, closest I've come is Boss, and thats not that close. Plus its freaking expensive.

Could you post pics of the AA shirts on a real person? ie, you.

ive been wearing my vnecks to work alot , i dont want to post a photo of me just yet as i kind of ballooned up a bit due to the holidays and eating, but take a look at the thread where james nicolas is selling his tees:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=98912

here you have a bunch of photos of the tshirts and go to the website for alt a and see the models wearing them. that is all i can help you there but it gives you a sense of what kind of style and cut they go at.

i would say in my honest estimation/opinion, the prices (even james nicolas prices) are a little steep for a tshirt of this make, but the cut is so great so fabulous (out of none i have seen so far) that i didnt mind picking up 8 different tees and v necks.

they are so comfortable.
    they stretch and snug to your body
    they are of a good quality
    they wash so simply.
    they dont shrink or stretch out
    the cut is tremendous.
    the v necks are actually versatile, wear it with jeans or wear it with an odd pair of trousers/ dress pants

i paid about 18 or 19 bux per shirt (a little hefty for a tshirt vneck) but i needed these. cant find another cut like this.
    he will charge you 10 bux for an order per ship though. that kind of cancels out the deal somewhat but still i went ahead and did it.
    did i regret it? no . i love these shirts.

15. phxlawstudent

I did look at their site, and the shirts look good on those models, but those models are almost anorexic when compared to myself. Checked ebay for some "real people" models. Bingo! And they look like they aren't very aggressively tapered at all. [​IMG] [​IMG] BR looks better tbh. I actually do have a couple BR shirts, but they aren't perfect either. [​IMG]