• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

do you really need protein shakes?

bvll

Reaction score
i'm on something similar to the cohen diet but i lift weights too.. my trainer says it's not enough protein especially for a guy and it's for folks with a sedentary lifestyle. should i take a shake before and after workouts as supplement?

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Protein is about as 'supplement' as I go, and just about the only paleo rule I break other than chewing gum.. Stick to whey quality and try and have it with water for quicker absorption

You could easily get the same amount of protein in tuna, steak etc.. Personally i couldn't stomach it after a hard session. Some super strict people care about the sugar levels, but depends how anal you are

Dont get caught up in the hype of preworkout supplements like jack3d etc... its just caffeine..

Last edited:

bvll

Reaction score
say i don't eat more than a fist full of protein the whole day be it chicken or steak? is that enough?

i didn't even know there were pre workout supplements. when i mean before i mean i take it during breakfast if there is no protein aside from the egg white of 1 egg in the meal..

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8 eggs, 8oz of whole cut meat, 500g cottage cheese = ~50g protein each

eat at least 1g protein/lb of bodyweight a day if you are lifting

so if you weigh 175, eat 175g of protein daily, so thats like eating 8oz of meat, 8 eggs, and a half litre of cottage cheese plus whatever protein comes from stuff like rice or bread or whatever

disregard shakes, eat food

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not worried about cholesterol but 8 eggs is still a lot. I eat a 3 egg omelet everyday. Actually I can see myself eat two three omelets

Last edited:

UnnamedPlayer

Reaction score
I drink Protein shakes as a healthy alternative to a full fat milkshake.

Don't really give two ***** if it is helping me get "ripped" or "bulk up", if it tastes good
and is healthy I'll drink it as an alternative.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not worried about cholesterol but 8 eggs is still a lot. I eat a 3 egg omelet everyday. Actually I can see myself eat two three omelets

agreed, i just put 8 as a reference point. even 6 is a lot, going through a dozen every other day adds up. going down to 4 a day saves me a lot but they are too delicious and i see them as a preferred source of food, all fat/protein and no carbs. bacon and eggs is the best and tastiest no carb-breakfast out there

I drink Protein shakes as a healthy alternative to a full fat milkshake.

Don't really give two ***** if it is helping me get "ripped" or "bulk up", if it tastes good
and is healthy I'll drink it as an alternative.

the supplement industry loves you brah

bvll

Reaction score
8 eggs, 8oz of whole cut meat, 500g cottage cheese = ~50g protein each
eat at least 1g protein/lb of bodyweight a day if you are lifting
so if you weigh 175, eat 175g of protein daily, so thats like eating 8oz of meat, 8 eggs, and a half litre of cottage cheese plus whatever protein comes from stuff like rice or bread or whatever
disregard shakes, eat food
curious where do these numbers come from? i hear trainers talk like this a lot..

bvll

Reaction score
i'm 230. my ideal is 175.

i only eat an egg for breakfast plus veggies, maybe a piece of fruit, coffee..

for lunch it's a chicken breast salad or burger salad.

dinner is usually meat + some veggies.

i added muscle milk recently.

UnnamedPlayer

Reaction score
agreed, i just put 8 as a reference point. even 6 is a lot, going through a dozen every other day adds up. going down to 4 a day saves me a lot but they are too delicious and i see them as a preferred source of food, all fat/protein and no carbs. bacon and eggs is the best and tastiest no carb-breakfast out there
the supplement industry loves you brah
$170 for 10 pounds of powder that makes about 10,000L of shake.

Not bad value.

bvll

Reaction score
If you are trying to lose weight then its no need to eat more, maybe split your 3 meals a day into 6 small ones. If you are trying to lose a significant amount of fat and and gain muscle, I haven't seen too many people do both at the same time successfully. Concentrate on one goal, and then do the other.
6241.gif
thanks!

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

$170 for 10 pounds of powder that makes about 10,000L of shake.

Not bad value.

lol wat? You do not get 10000l of shakes from a pound of whey. Unless your using 0.45g of whey per litre. You get maybe 50.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads