1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do you own more than one Navy suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieselman89, Jan 22, 2012.

1. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Just out of curiosity, how many of y'all own more than one solid Navy suit.

2. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I only have one solid navy now, but used to have 4 of them, 1 double breasted, 3 single breasted, two two button, one three button. Got rid of all but kept a two button. I have migrated towards patterned suits now, not so interested in solid colors. I keep only three solid color suits for interviews or for occasions that call for it, but rarely if ever wear them for normal work days.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  3. jaitaras

jaitaras Active Member

I only own one, but I only have 3 suits. =P

Do you own more then one?

I wouldn't mind getting another navy suit, but not another solid, maybe if it had a pink pinstripe. If I were rich I might consider getting a db navy though.

4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Two DB, one SB 3-piece (though this one is herringbone), one SB linen, one SB fresco, one SB flannel. Plus a lighter than navy sharkskin and a navy with a faint royal nailhead.

5. urfloormatt

urfloormatt Well-Known Member

I have a herringbone SB and a pinstripe SB.

6. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Navy plain worsted, navy pinstripe worsted, navy plain linen.

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

8. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

I only have one navy suit, 2B plain worsted; however, I prefer grey and charcoal suits.

9. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Three solids? SB two button?

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

One navy with a faint pinstripe due to be replaced by a solid navy in a very light twill. One solid navy linen/cotton. Both 3 button.

11. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I have one, a 3/2 Pressidential, and am toying with a BB GF two-button that's in play on the secondary market--if I can get it for the right price. Besides being a different cut, my logic is that a backup on staple items is a good idea (pens explode in pockets, food gets spilled) if it can be accomplished for a reasonable price. A third would be difficult to justify.

12. Patek

Patek Senior member

I only have one RLBL DB navy and of course a classic navy blazer.

13. Geezer

Geezer Senior member

One plain navy lightweight SB, 3-button.

One plain navy SB, 3 roll 2.

One plain navy DB, 2 show 3.

Two navy DB chalkstripe.

And a not quite dark enough to be navy plain blue linen SB summer number.

Planning my next 3-4 orders, at least one is plain navy.

There's a reason expensive PR people make politicians and CEOs wear plain navy suits: they look good.

14. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

navy solid, navy pinstripe, navy herringbone ... would not mind getting another navy solid with different characteristics than the existing one

15. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Chalkstripe shouldn't count. But that plain navy suits look good is dead on.

16. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Navy Blue always works - always. And it works with such a wide range of tie/shirt/square combos. I used to prefer gray or even olive or brown when I was younger - I thought Navy to just be meh. I've changed my mind.

I have but three

Canali - 2 button in a 140s weight worsted- VERY dark - Looks black in many lighting situations
    Corneliani - 2 button (very recent cut - open quarters, etc.) - Medium navy with dark navy undertones ( more or less a sharkskin but more subtle)
    Canali - 3 button - fairly heavy worsted - Navy (not much in style at this point - but I rarely need heavy weight suits so I just deal with it)

17. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Not quite. The reason is that they look good enough, but they're generic enough that people who dress like crap or don't have much exposure to wearing suits or people who do (rural midwesterners, for example) aren't threatened.

Those same people are the ones who make sure that suits on prominent pols don't fit perfectly. Shoulders too wide, chest too baggy, pants and sleeves just a little too long. The suits will fit well enough to appeal to rich donors, but they'll be off enough that those same rural farmers aren't turned off by how precise the tailoring is. Shoes are slightly scuffed, but not too much, for the same reason.

It's calculated, and aesthetics are quite secondary.

18. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Yes, 3 solid SB of which one is a 2B 3-piece and one is a 3/2B and the other is 2B. I also have 2 SB navy pinstripes of which one is a 2B 3-piece and the other is a 3/2B. Navy is my favorite color.

19. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

4 SB navy suits. I've been contemplating getting a DB made sometime, too.

20. Geezer

Geezer Senior member

I mildly disagree. The ill-fitting suits are rarely deliberate and often the sign of a pol who won't fully take advice or is not being advised. The ideal (see any photo of world leaders at the G8/G20/NATO summits) is a suit - usually bespoke - that fits conservatively well but is styled (SB 2 button, plain colour, worn with white shirt and boring tie) blandly, so the farmers don't actively notice it. At least in Europe.