• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you own more than one Navy suit?

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have 1 but am considering a 2nd now that I've rounded out my other suits to my liking. For those of you with multiple, would you suggest that I go with a different brand and therefore different styling, or better to first go after a slightly different shade of blue?

you def. need a 2 button Navy, it's a staple in a wardrobe.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
One 8oz. plain navy for the summer - SB w/ 2 buttons
One 15oz. plain navy flannel for the winter - DB
One 11oz. plain navy worsted for everything in between - DB

This excludes other garments like an 11oz. navy with a very faint burgundy windowpane, and a 13oz. navy birdseye.

I just don't get it when people say they dislike solids and prefer patterned suits. Plain navy and grey suits are the cornerstone of my wardrobe.

urfloormatt

Reaction score
Debating a navy linen suit for this summer. I don't own a linen suit and would like one, and I figure navy is the best color to hide the fact that it will always be wrinkled.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Debating a navy linen suit for this summer.  I don't own a linen suit and would like one, and I figure navy is the best color to hide the fact that it will always be wrinkled.

Do it! I love my navy linen. It doesn't look a total mess, most of the heavy wrinking is at the elbows and knees because you constantly bend them. But the rest of the slight wrinkling gives the suit a nice look because of texture and casualness. Similar to wearing an oxford button down

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have 1 but am considering a 2nd now that I've rounded out my other suits to my liking. For those of you with multiple, would you suggest that I go with a different brand and therefore different styling, or better to first go after a slightly different shade of blue?

To put this another way....current navy is 2B, double vent, notch lapel, cuffed pants. Would you go for:

1) Slightly different shade of blue?
2) Simply different brand and therefore different styling (lapels may be wider/narrower, button stance different, etc)
3) Similar set-up but uncuffed pants?
4) 3 button (3/2)

thanks

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, am I going to crazy for navy?

I am about to buy another suit and I haven't been able to find a charcoal suit to my liking in my budget. I have found another navy. I already own 1 navy 2 button, single vent and 1 navy pinstripe, double vent. I was looking at a navy 2 button double vent. Slightly different color navy than my other solid. Thoughts?

I am just starting to get very disappointed with charcoal suits.

Last edited:

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have more than one navy suit.

I just don't think charcoal looks as good as navy on me. I am debating b/t another navy. I've decided no more charcoal since my ties and dress shirts work better with navy.

reinhardgs

Reaction score
I just own one, because I saw little need to have two. even so, I think this is one of my best beater if I dont get my black ones ready

navy suit could easily combined with white shirt and red tie, my favourite scheme of colour

BLU8

Reaction score
Navy is my personal favourite colour for suits, so I have several.

- Navy tone-on-tone shadow plaid
- Classic navy pinstripe 3-piece
- Midnight blue with a very faint white pinstripe
- Navy linen suit

They are all single-breasted, with 2 buttons, notch lapels, double vents, & a ticket pocket (with the exception of the midnight blue one).

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Navy is my personal favourite colour for suits, so I have several.
- Navy tone-on-tone shadow plaid
- Classic navy pinstripe 3-piece
- Midnight blue with a very faint white pinstripe
- Navy linen suit
They are all single-breasted, with 2 buttons, notch lapels, double vents, & a ticket pocket (with the exception of the midnight blue one).

Do you have any charcoal?

BLU8

Reaction score
Yes, I do have a charcoal with a blueish-purple stripe running through it, & a mid-grey pinstripe 3-piece. And I recently picked up a light grey 3-piece as well. But the navy ones in my closet are definitely my favourites.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have three solid navy suits, and recently decided I need a fourth. I love navy.

OlSarge

Reaction score
Being retired, I only need two suits, one for cool weather and one for the heat. If I were to only own two suits, they would both be navy. However, by the time I am done reworking my wardrobe I rather suspect that the two navies will have plenty of company.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads