• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you own more than one Navy suit?

cincydavid

Reaction score
One 2 button, center vent, pleated and cuffed trousers. I strongly prefer dark gray, always have. I will admit to 3 dark blue blazers with brass buttons.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see CEOs more concerned with stock price, productivity, sales, downsizing :angry:, etc. than with motivational tours.

Yes, but those CEOs probably aren't the ones hiring image consultants.

Octoberfile

Reaction score
Two solid navy and one pinstripe. I used to have two navy pinstripe suits, but I got rid of the one of them.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 solid navy 2btn, 1 navy micro? stripe 3 roll to 2, 1 solid navy linen suit 2 btn, one lighter herringbone 2btn, and one lighter linen 2btn.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own 2 solid navy and 2 navy pinstripe

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
4 solid single breasted , 1 double-breasted flannel chalk stripes, 2 pinstripes single breasted and 1 tennis stripes..

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Eight solid navy in all weights, weaves, and configurations.

E.g., 8 oz. to 18 oz., SB, DB, 2 piece, 3 piece, flannel (both heavy and light), herringbone, serge, twill, and worsted.

Although navy is the building block of a man's wardrobe, I am coming around to Will's thinking that grey looks better as one's hair starts greying. See Will at http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2012/01/complement-your-coloring.html

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Eight solid navy in all weights, weaves, and configurations.
E.g., 8 oz. to 18 oz., SB, DB, 2 piece, 3 piece, flannel (both heavy and light), herringbone, serge, twill, and worsted.
Although navy is the building block of a man's wardrobe, I am coming around to Will's thinking that grey looks better as one's hair starts greying. See Will at http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2012/01/complement-your-coloring.html

This is interesting. I'm certainly noticing that colors which previously looked good on me when my hair was very dark brown now seem a bit too strong. Meaning very dark charcoal, once looked great on me and now that I'm passing 'salt and pepper' and ranging more into 'salt' it just seems overpowering.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is an amazing selection. Where do you purchase most of your suits in Atlanta, Saks? Also, are you paying full price for those suits?
BTW thanks for all the replies. This thread has turned out nicely.

For years (too many) I have worked with same sales associate at Saks. My routine (which I came to Styleforum to break) has been - every spring and fall when the previous season's suits are being pulled off the racks the SA calls me. I buy one suit, 5 shirts, perhaps a sport coat and trousers as needed. A pair of shoes if needed, etc. etc. Because I buy in just these two seasonal 'sessions' it is worth the SAs time to make note to call me and I often get everything for at least 25% off. Yes it's a bit of a hefty twice a year purchase - but it's done and over with.

I HATE to shop so this has pared it down to the barest minimum of time possible in terms of shopping - twice a year - period.

I'm pretty sure lots of business men take this basic approach - my father certainly did.

That being said - I came to SF six months ago because I have grown weary of the predictability and particularly disappointed in the shoes available via the department stores.

Last edited:

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only one, although I'm always drawn to a second now.

Single, two button for the record. How could one do anything else!

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have three solids. I know it's weird but I got a Zara one four years ago with the skinny lapels. Then I got an Aquascutum one. Finally I bought one off a member here last year - Corneliani. One is peak lapel, 2 are notch lapels, all side vents. I guess I should retire some. Otherwise, I have navy pinstripes too, one cotton and one wool.

Last edited:

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For years (too many) I have worked with same sales associate at Saks. My routine (which I came to Styleforum to break) has been - every spring and fall when the previous season's suits are being pulled off the racks the SA calls me. I buy one suit, 5 shirts, perhaps a sport coat and trousers as needed. A pair of shoes if needed, etc. etc. Because I buy in just these two seasonal 'sessions' it is worth the SAs time to make note to call me and I often get everything for at least 25% off. Yes it's a bit of a hefty twice a year purchase - but it's done and over with.
I HATE to shop so this has pared it down to the barest minimum of time possible in terms of shopping - twice a year - period.
I'm pretty sure lots of business men take this basic approach - my father certainly did.
That being said - I came to SF six months ago because I have grown weary of the predictability and particularly disappointed in the shoes available via the department stores.
Saks in Phipps is unbelievable. They really have a great set-up and I only visit once or twice a year for their sales, and I am always surprised how they do such a good job keeping up with the trends and maintaining a high-class store. I've visited dept. stores in NYC and Chicago and Saks Atl is top notch.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score

Not quite. The reason is that they look good enough, but they're generic enough that people who dress like crap or don't have much exposure to wearing suits or people who do (rural midwesterners, for example) aren't threatened.

Those same people are the ones who make sure that suits on prominent pols don't fit perfectly. Shoulders too wide, chest too baggy, pants and sleeves just a little too long. The suits will fit well enough to appeal to rich donors, but they'll be off enough that those same rural farmers aren't turned off by how precise the tailoring is. Shoes are slightly scuffed, but not too much, for the same reason.
It's calculated, and aesthetics are quite secondary.

+1 to the first.

Not so sure about the second. Prominent and successful career politicoes who enjoy clothes wear suits that fit. Joe Biden, for example. I think it's more that politicians who don't care about clothes are willing to heed such advice when it is given, and are just sloppy dressers anyway. I'd like to see evidence as to how widely given such advice is.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 1 but am considering a 2nd now that I've rounded out my other suits to my liking. For those of you with multiple, would you suggest that I go with a different brand and therefore different styling, or better to first go after a slightly different shade of blue?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads