Do you like the country you currently live in?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Coho, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Coho

Coho Senior member

Poll!

2. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Senior member

eh, not really.

3. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

I certainly find things about the US that I think we need to change drastically, but that doesn't mean that I don't think it's still a pretty wonderful place overall (or with that potentiality).

As for the other country where I live part of the year (Japan), I love living there as well. BUT, it's a very different place. It has its advantages (excellent, affordable healthcare, low crime rate, great public transport), but there are also elements where the USA can't be beat. SO, I think it all boils down to one's own priorities and how happy they are with themselves. Oftentimes, I think that people who express considerable or extreme discontent with their country/location are just displacing smaller, more localized problems in their lives.

4. Guy Burgess

Guy Burgess Senior member

Certain aspects I love but it's a bit small for me/too "in its own little bubble", hence why I'm saving to leave at the moment.

5. Coho

Coho Senior member

Are you referring to New Zealand?

Certain aspects I love but it's a bit small for me/too "in its own little bubble", hence why I'm saving to leave at the moment.

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I love the ol' US of A. I want to live here my entire life.

Though I'd love to take all my vacations outside of this country, and would enjoy traveling.

7. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I've lived most of my life outside of the US, in several countries. I chose to raise my family in the states. I think that the US is the most comfortable place to live and the best place to raise a family. the vast majoirty of issues people raise against the US are raised because the person hasn't lived outside the US.

there are things that I miss - the US has a lot less "character" than a lot of places, but that isn't always a bad thing in places you live. I prefer to visit character and live in comfort and safty

8. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Senior member

I love New York, but wouldn't want to live there.

I love Tokyo, but wouldn't want to live there.

I love Paris, but wouldn't want to live there.

So after thinking of my 3 other favorite places (oh yeah might as well add Italy, i DO want to live there when I'm old), I guess I must come to terms with the fact Hong Kong ain't so bad considering I can still live here.

9. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

The vast majority of issues people raise against the US are raised because the person hasn't lived outside the US.

I agree with this 100%.

10. 604guy

604guy Well-Known Member

I voted sometimes. I live in Canada, however in the area I live (Vancouver) housing costs are ridiculous, there are nothing but douchebags in clubs and a great underappreciation of art and style. I am seriously considering moving to Montreal.

11. Miguel Antonio

Miguel Antonio Senior member

I currently live in Colombia (South America). I have all my live wanted to immigrate to the USA, and I was not the only one as most emigrants from my country prefer the USA to any other. Although I didn't want to live in latino comunities, as I like to integrate completely into a given culture. After much reflection I came to the conclusion that the US is too bourgeois for my taste. So now London (England) is my main interest, followed by Paris (France). Tokio (Japan) is another posibility too. As you can see I prefer capital cities, and Washington is too boring.

12. Aficionado

Aficionado Well-Known Member

Not particularly.. I would rather live in USA or Estonia

13. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I voted sometimes because sometimes I literally feel like I'm not in the country I'm living in.

14. Jerome

Jerome Senior member

Yes, but it took me about 30 years since its a provincial, narrow minded kaff.

15. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

I suppose I like living here, but I haven't been outside of the U.S enough to compare. I like New England and much of the Northeast I do not think I'd like the other regions much.