• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you keep wearing shiny wool?

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other threads have gotten me started thinking about this, namely the epic one about being too perfect. So, do you continue to wear wool once it gets shiny? If so how anal are you about it? Do you just get a bit of shine on the seat and then give up on the garment or do you allow yourself to look like one of those asshole train conductors in old time black and white photos that have so much shine on their elbows you can see it from 6 feet away?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Generally speaking, no. But I guess it depends on the shine, and to what extent it stands out from the rest of the wool on the suit. If you've got shiny, obvious patches that don't match the matte finish of the suit itself, it looks f'ing terrible. But if your suit itself is somewhat shiny (sharkshin or what have you), you can probably get away with a tiny bit of extra shine picked up from normal wear & tear.

With the possible exceptions of Starbucks baristas and Jay Leno, shine on suit elbows is my worst nemesis. I can't stand it, and I'm extremely anal about it. But it'll happen sooner or later if you wear your suit regularly over the course of many years. You can stave off its inevitable arrival, however, by taking off your jacket whenever you're sitting down.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
With the possible exceptions of Starbucks baristas and Jay Leno, shine on suit elbows is my worst nemesis. I can't stand it, and I'm extremely anal about it. But it'll happen sooner or later if you wear your suit regularly over the course of many years. You can stave off its inevitable arrival, however, by taking off your jacket whenever you're sitting down.

I agree. But it happens. Sometimes when the rest of the suit is still in great shape. So what do you do then?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
I agree. But it happens. Sometimes when the rest of the suit is still in great shape. So what do you do then?

I'll wear a suit if it's just one elbow (it's usually the left elbow only for me, for whatever reason) that's getting shiny. Eventually, though, that shine will start to give way to a tear in the fabric. If you've got a tear in your jacket's elbow, a good tailor can repair it. But there are only so many times you can have this done. At that point, the suit jacket needs to be retired. If the trousers are still in decent shape, they can live on as odd trousers.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A bit if shininess is nothing to worry about..Normal wear and tear ,some people even call that character...
I usually not a great fan of shiny fabrics in general ..

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
slight sheen on the seat isn't so bad. Any on elbow or coat or shine noticeable to onlookers and I get rid. If I have to stare at it to see if it's shiny then it's ok.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
do you guys even own suits?

What??? Yes. Worn one every work day for 5-6 years.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
do you guys even own suits?

Dude, you're totally that guy who is always trying to be really witty and biting, and obviously thinks highly of himself, but doesn't quite get there. You're the Dane Cook of Styleforum. Congratulations.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif

Pundit

Reaction score
Froma quick search ...

"Removing Shine.- Sometimes, in the construction of woolen garments, certain parts, especially seams and overlapping edges, become shiny or glossy from improper pressing. Also, as is well known, a woolen material that consists of hard or firmly twisted threads is likely to become glossy from hard wear. To remove the shine, first place over it a press cloth that is slightly damper than one needed for ordinary pressing. Then hold a hot iron very close to the press cloth, but not on it, keeping the iron in one position long enough to allow the steam an opportunity to penetrate the fabric. Then lift the press cloth and brush the fabric briskly to roughen its surface a trifle in order to take away the shine.

Repeat this process until every trace of the shine is removed. Then, dry the steamed material thoroughly, holding the iron close enough to the press cloth so that the fabric will appear to have been carefully pressed, although the iron has not touched it."

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^

Does that actually work. I feel like a clown for constantly brining this topic up here and on AA but I can't get a definitive answer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads