• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you drink before you go out for a drink?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bouji
That ideology does not follow through completely.
The food that you eat out is often of higher quality than what you eat at home.
The food that you eat out is often priced fairly for what you get, if you want Caviar, Lobster, Foie Gras, Pata Negra, and Wagyu you will pay for it, but rarely very much more that what you would pay unless you were getting it wholesale. When you then take the preparation and clearing up into account, the cost is seldom more than what it should be.

Drinks are the total opposite.
The quality of drinks at home are often higher quality than those out.
The drinks out are often far higher priced than what you pay at home, measure of JW Black Label out around 8-10 pounds, bottle of JW Black Label at home 18 pounds.
Nor are the drinks priced fairly, there is minimal preparation and cleaning up involved, and the price increases for higher quality drinks are not fixed, they are proportionate to the price of the drink. For example, a bottle of good Mersault in a restaurant averages around 50 pounds, at home around 20 pounds. 30 pound mark up. A given vintage of Pertrus for arguments sake is 3000 in a restaurant, the same vintage would be around 1500 if you bought it ready to drink, and as low as 800 if you cellared it for a couple of years. That's a huge 2200 pound mark up!

While I agree with the overall post, who says you can't have Foie Gras at home?
smile.gif

DSC00793.jpg

DSC00692.jpg

Bouji

Reaction score
You sure can, but a 2005 Sauternes? Isn't that a bit young?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

It's drinking very nicely, and it was the only split I had in the cellar at the time, unless I had wanted some ice wine...which I was not in the mood for. I had tried it at the wine shop, so I knew it was already quite drinkable. I have three more now (they were on sale) and they won't be cracked until about 2014.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
It depends on what the intentions for the evening are. The only time i pre-drink is when i'm going out with the intention of getting a little drunk. If i'm just going to watch a football/basketball game out, or to the local bar's beer pong tournament, i'll just wait and drink there. I pre-drink sometimes before going to bars/pubs/lounges if i want to drink a fair amount but don't want to pay $3-8 per drink.

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
It's drinking very nicely, and it was the only split I had in the cellar at the time, unless I had wanted some ice wine...which I was not in the mood for. I had tried it at the wine shop, so I knew it was already quite drinkable. I have three more now (they were on sale) and they won't be cracked until about 2014.

That's good, you must have found a bargain then.
How did you prepare that foie gras? It looks sublime.
Also, what are those cheeses?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Why

is this not

A POLL?

I blame alcohol.

Originally Posted by West24
... one time about two months ago i walked into the club and went straight to the washroom and puked my guts out. then sat on the toilet for an hour and got kicked out.
frown.gif

ahhhhahahaahaha

I've done the same exact thing.. a couple of times during my crazy partying years. The best one was when I came out of the bathroom and the place has been closed for at least 30 minutes already, with only two cleaning dudes inside.

jhao

Reaction score
Yes, always like 2 hous before going to the club, we get together and drink trying to avoid to getting 100% sober to the club.

tricota

Reaction score
That ideology does not follow through completely.
The food that you eat out is often of higher quality than what you eat at home.
The food that you eat out is often priced fairly for what you get, if you want Caviar, Lobster, Foie Gras, Pata Negra, and Wagyu you will pay for it, but rarely very much more that what you would pay unless you were getting it wholesale. When you then take the preparation and clearing up into account, the cost is seldom more than what it should be.

Drinks are the total opposite.
The quality of drinks at home are often higher quality than those out.
The drinks out are often far higher priced than what you pay at home, measure of JW Black Label out around 8-10 pounds, bottle of JW Black Label at home 18 pounds.
Nor are the drinks priced fairly, there is minimal preparation and cleaning up involved, and the price increases for higher quality drinks are not fixed, they are proportionate to the price of the drink. For example, a bottle of good Mersault in a restaurant averages around 50 pounds, at home around 20 pounds. 30 pound mark up. A given vintage of Pertrus for arguments sake is 3000 in a restaurant, the same vintage would be around 1500 if you bought it ready to drink, and as low as 800 if you cellared it for a couple of years. That's a huge 2200 pound mark up!

Well, in case like that, we are hardly talking of inebriation alone, but enjoyment. And that is of couse different.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking back at my twenties (and partly thirties): The Scandinavian prices on alcohol being what they are, it's very common here, particularly among students and other youth. The result is a culture of the "vorspiel" (word comes from German, translates to something like "foreplay" or "ouverture".) It's really developed into a type of social occasion of its own - people even occasionally send written invitations for these pre-drinks. Usually four-five guys drinking, bragging and playing loud music in someone's living room for two to five hours before going out or to an event, and very often the best part of the evening. Sometimes it just segues into not going out at all, and waiting for other people and their friends and hook-ups to turn up when the bars and clubs close, for the "nachspiel" - the dreaded after-party. Such is the Scandinavian binge-drinking. It's most pronounced in Norway and Finland.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'05 Doisy-Vedrines is very highly regarded right now, even young. I am stocking up as it is, 3 375s and a couple of 750s. I need an 05 de Fargues. ~ H

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pedrogarciaterzo
another thing. a man to be a man never must be aout of the control.
my 2 cents

c´hai ragione, ma che fai per pasquetta?

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
Quoting the lyrical stylings of one Pete Rock, "15 Dollas for a drink in the club?...I ain't got no paper for a bar in the club, I already got drunk before I came in the club."

If I'm going to a high end club and I'm paying my way, then I'll probably be pregaming it a little. Other than that, perhaps a beer with dinner or while watching tv/listening to tunes before hitting the clubs/bars is common.

whatuknowaboutthat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
im usually pretty crunk before i even get into the club. one time about two months ago i walked into the club and went straight to the washroom and puked my guts out. then sat on the toilet for an hour and got kicked out.
frown.gif

"when i say weakazz you say _ _ _ _ 24"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads