• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do today's suits favor the weak?

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a well-built fat man and will not apologize for my affair with oily dish. I find it discouraging that recent developments in regard to the suit jacket--shorter sleeves, narrow lapels, skirted flare--seems to favor the weak. In the old days, a suit jacket makes most men look good.

alexei

Reaction score
Well-built and fat are not synonymous. And are you referring to skinny people as weak? Some would consider self-restraint with regard to food a strength.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
I'm a well-built fat man and will not apologize for my affair with oily dish. I find it discouraging that recent developments in regard to the suit jacket--shorter sleeves, narrow lapels, skirted flare--seems to favor the weak. In the old days, a suit jacket makes most men look good.
With due apologies to Tolkien and dragons: "Do not meddle in the affairs of fat men, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup." I'm a skinny fit man, and I must say that most suits look quite flattering on me. In addition, I've several evolutionary advantages -- for one, I can run should a fat man chase me, and for another, I can probably hurl several stones of significant mass at such fat men (while running, even). In addition, given how awesome I look in modern day suits, women (including fat women, I must say) flock to me to touch my narrow lapels and feel my, err, not so-short-"sleeves". Clearly, you need to redefine weak.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ouch. Much hurt is dealt in this thread.
confused.gif

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't like current suits then may be the solution is in YOUR hands. Lose weight and stop moaning.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
or gain weight and get bespoke, which may be easier given your love of cooked breakfasts

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Ouch. Much hurt is dealt in this thread.
confused.gif

It could become nasty very soon...

How fat is he in the first place?

We need a graph and a poll...

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"well-built fat man". Oh I love the irony. The question is how fat are ye, suits were generally on the bigger/ill-fitting trend last time I checked

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Funny. Last time I went to the store, everything on the shelf favored nobody in particular. Body too full for the skinny man and neck to small for the fat man.

This is quite right, and why tailoring to your body type is important - fat, slim, powerful, weak - whatever you wish to call it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads