• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please provide feedback on my first bespoke suit

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The fullness/extra material referenced in some responces is the width of the back at the bottom of the armhole. From center back seam to the side seam under your arms. My point is this doesn't effect the diagonal line we see. I would have them adjust the shoulder with a bit more pad and see how it effects/remedies the diagonal line. If you prefer, as you have said, a relaxed, easy feel you may not want to reduce the back width. You may feel restricted, like your tailor said.

DoctorChipper

Reaction score
The fullness/extra material referenced in some responces is the width of the back at the bottom of the armhole. From center back seam to the side seam under your arms. My point is this doesn't effect the diagonal line we see. I would have them adjust the shoulder with a bit more pad and see how it effects/remedies the diagonal line. If you prefer, as you have said, a relaxed, easy feel you may not want to reduce the back width. You may feel restricted, like your tailor said.
Is adjusting the shoulder padding at this stage of my finished jacket feasible? I know for a competent tailor the task is possible, but will it be such a big operation he or I may prefer to not do it? Or was your comment about adjusting the shoulder with a bit more pad referring only to future commissions, not this suit?

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Adding a pad is relatively simple to do on a finished garment. A pad can be slipped in place without opening the lining when you have the jacket on to see the effect.
It's not unusual to have adjustments made after delivery. According to your conversation with them they are willing to do this. Go back and let them look at the suit

DoctorChipper

Reaction score
Adding a pad is relatively simple to do on a finished garment. A pad can be slipped in place without opening the lining when you have the jacket on to see the effect.
It's not unusual to have adjustments made after delivery. According to your conversation with them they are willing to do this. Go back and let them look at the suit
Ok, got it. I just called and I will be coming in this Saturday. I want to know for my own tailoring knowledge at this point: I thought that adding or removing padding throws off the fit of the jacket in areas other than the shoulders, so it is actually a complicated task to do well. For instance, sleeve length will for sure be thrown off if I start stretching the jack upwards with more padding, right?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The pad will lift the shoulder and even out the back and help with the diagonal line. If the sleeves need to be made longer they will do so. You cannot know before trying the jacket with the shoulder pad.
Take the jacket in Saturday and let them deal with it. Ask them your questions and they will explain how the jacket should fit.
Take a deep breath, relax. It's going to be alright! This is your first experience having a suit made. Observe more, worry less

DrapeCut

Reaction score
@ter1413 Is it a plain suit because I asked for a conservative business suit as my first ever commission, or is it plain for other reasons? Completely serious question. My intended use is for a very conservative industry, where I have never seen anyone wearing an "exciting" suit, unfortunately. My personal goal was to nail down fit issues I could never resolve on OTR and MTM, and to obviously develop a pattern that can be used for more exciting suits in the future.
- By first fitting do you mean measurement/consultation day, or are you referring to a basted/forward fitting? I had my trouser measurements taken along with my jacket measurements on the consultation day -> and then when I came in for my basted fitting for the jacket, the trouser was completely finished without ever having a "fitting" experience. Is what I experienced still considered a "bespoke suit"? I feel like this matches the definition of MTM trousers, which has me concerned.
- 2 fittings for jacket, 0 "fittings" for trousers. Yes to shirt and shoes.
I did not mean to equate conservative style with anything negative. This suit looks severely average in quality. Low armholes blaagh. There is seemingly nothing about this suit that marks it as bespoke.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads