• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Disguised bumping.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems that although it's been stated in the rules that you should just edit the original post when things are sold (instead of BUMPING) in your thread, people are making replies after even just one item sells...I can understand if you're getting bombarded by pm's and u just want to get it out in the open that something's sold, but all too often I'm seeing that people are using their "sold" replies as bumps...

What does everyone think? Is it bumping or not?

Karo

Reaction score
Bump.
laugh.gif

I'm ok with it, unless they're announcing multiple times that their **** sold.

breakfasteatre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is another forum i hate that i use to sell items, but they happen to have a good buysell forum going on

I dont believe that removing bumps altogether is the right solution, as i find that this limits the selling of your items to who happens to see the post for the 30 minutes its on the first page
your items arent going to sell on the 2nd or 3rd day

this other forum has a system where only the seller can reply to his post, and you can only bump your post every 48 hours.

This forces prospective buyers to private message questions instead of cluttering up the thread and bumping it up with questions and replies from the seller

Clench Million

Reaction score
I agree with breakfasteatre

Excessive bumping it very annoying, but no bumping is alos annoying. Most people, I think, come on here and glacne through a page or two to see what is selling. I can't possibly search for every item I'm interested in bying everytime I come on here, so I only look at what has been posted recently.

SEems that no bumping hurts both sellers and buyers.

overdog

Reaction score
I voted for no "sold" replies, but if most people are for the "sold" replies, I might have to start doing it myself.

Another more subtle exploitation is that you can purposely be vague in your selling descriptions, and leave things out such as measurements. People will reply and ask for measurements, and you can reply and give yourself a little bump.

All of these are unfair IMO. There needs to be a more concrete rule as to bumps.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clench Million
Excessive bumping it very annoying, but no bumping is alos annoying. Most people, I think, come on here and glacne through a page or two to see what is selling. I can't possibly search for every item I'm interested in bying everytime I come on here, so I only look at what has been posted recently. .

Seconded. While nonstop bumping with no price adjustments and no moving stock is annoying, it's really not a big deal when stock is moving. That is at least some assurance that the goods are goods people want.

Harmless bumping like "sold" is not only not unacceptable, but I think it's good. I can't search for threads for pages on end.

breakfasteatre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by overdog
I voted for no "sold" replies, but if most people are for the "sold" replies, I might have to start doing it myself.

Another more subtle exploitation is that you can purposely be vague in your selling descriptions, and leave things out such as measurements. People will reply and ask for measurements, and you can reply and give yourself a little bump.

All of these are unfair IMO. There needs to be a more concrete rule as to bumps.

ive noticed this occuring quite frequently now

users leave posting pictures, and then measurements until later, it really is infuriating.

Is there a buysell moderator? i wouldnt mind moderating

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or adding one item at a time at a day, each time bumping the thread to the top.
My opinion on it is, the only time that would be ok to bump ones own thread is
either

1) answer a potential buyers question who replied to your thread with a question

2) annouce a decent price cut, or the item is going on ebay.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with breakfast...I feel that the "no bumping" rule is a bit too much. However, since it's in place, I feel that people need to play by the rules and stop replying with "sold" 5+ times...

Now, if bumps were to be allowed (clearly a well thought out system would be required), I'd have no problems at all...

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With respect, I think that the rules governing "bumping" on this website are unrealistically severe. In fact, I feel that they are actually moderately repressive and counter-intuitive.

Rather than completely banning "bumping" or trying to regulate it through very technical protocols (that are up to interpretation), I think the moderators should find a more logical and sensible solution to the problem, such as bumping every two or three days.

Potential buyers rarely peer past the first or second page of available goods, and the way things stand there are perfectly viable products stuck on the fifth or sixth page. This is only because many threads get "bumps" through secondary means; either through marking something as "sold", or through useless chatter which pushes a thread to the top.

While I prefer the freedom and liberty at the Superfuture forums, I could understand why the mods here would want a cleaner and more orderly atmosphere here at StyleForum. I would thus recommend finding a "middle-ground" between what I currently view as the overtly repressive and rather artificial rules currently in effect, and the pseudo-anarchy of Superfuture.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. We are not planning to implement any more rules in this forum, nor are we looking for new moderators.

2. We may make some changes to the buying and selling forum that may be appealling to some high volume sellers

3. Rules are enforced at the discretion of the moderators (mainly, me and J, though others have moderation powers here as well). I tend to think that "sold" is reasonable, because at very least, it means that the seller has been consolidating his items, which is strongly encouraged. If you are being reasonable, I will probably not kill your thread. Legalism is not encouraged. If you break the spirit of the forum, I will kill your thread, and then make a new rule that covers the new form of douchbaggery.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I wont vote in here, but we are keeping an eye on it.
Originally Posted by breakfasteatre
Is there a buysell moderator?
Yeah, we pretty much all spend far longer in here than we would like to. I posted to this effect once before, but basically my issue is that every time we give leeway in here, we get someone who decides to loophole it. Bumps with price cuts..."I know, I'll reduce it by a cent" Can address inquiries in thread...."I know, I'll start a new account and ask myself if it is selvege" ...and so on. The board is here as a public service, and as much for people who want to do a one-off ebay-buy-didnt-fit sale as for people who want to pay their way through college with it. The pay their way through college types will devote more time to promoting their wares, bumping to the expense of the others. If we open it up, we all know what will happen - a couple of dudes will just sit there with it open, refresh...1/4 down pg 1...refresh...1/2 way down....refresh....3/4 way down...reply "bumpity bump". Unfortunate, but almost inevitable. In the end we just make a rule that I think most of us mods consider over the top, and that takes us more time to police than we would like, but that is iron clad, and has no room for endless PM saying "but one cent IS a price reduction, right?"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads