• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Why does the Balenciaga thing seem like conspiracy breadcrumbs were lifted from a QANON thread? The campaign itself didn't offend me but it seems it did a bunch of other people and removing it is fine (don't care TBH) but the barely hidden court ruling pages make it look like we're in the upside down world of conspirationists.

Last edited:

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Alright, while politics often intersects with industry, I think that we may have strayed a bit afield here. If you guys want to talk just about Ye and whatever he is up to, let's please take it to the current events forum.. Thanks, "

Don't wanna be flippant and annoy the big kahuna here, but I'm pretty sure the components of Balenciaga, Ye, and Kim Kardashian very much count as within the field of the Fashion Industry.

"The campaign itself didn't offend me but it seems it did a bunch of other people and removing it is fine (don't care TBH) but the barely hidden court ruling pages make it look like we're in the upside down world of conspirationists"

The inclusion of the court papers didn't offend you?? Ditto Michael Borremans' Fire From the Sun...and more more examples are materialising. Do you not think you should be offended?

As such, what innocent and inoffensive purpose were these things included for - and what inference are we supposed to draw from it beside the obviously horrific?

"... the barely hidden court ruling pages make it look like we're in the upside down world of conspirationists"

Yeah, sure does make it look like it, eh?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Having Michael Borremans' Fire From the Sun book also in the background seems a little on the nose

Lol wow. Just to be clear the teddy bear "bdsm" photos and the court papers/Borremans* cryptoconspiracyhint shoots are distinct Balenciaga shoot and certainly do not involve the same people. The first one is (IMHO) a banal winkwink ref to the oft noticed passionate love/hate relationship children have with their stuffed animals and how adults can project their own human foibles into that (not the same as being a sicko just in case) but, once again, no point in not removing it, it wasn't high art needing to be protected. The second one is an apparently normal shoot but with some barely hidden refs that can add up to a disturbing whole.

Just in case, several entities are involved in a shoot (production company, photographer, stylist, Balenciaga itself etc.) and I believe somebody got cheeky, not that there is an actual Balenciaga QAnon-style conspiracy. As for the famed "everything is reviewed by the brand" lol well yeah in the sense of creative control but it's not like they have multidisciplinary meetings with academics and activists of every possible field to see if their shoot could be a problem.

Example of Balenciaga shoot I knew people involved with: "here, borrow some clothing and while you're on vacation with your cool friends take some pictures, Demna will look at them and select a few to be posted on the Instagram**". Not everything is super-focus grouped in fashion, as weird as it may sound for some major brands.

*Borremans' work was also featured on Undercover pieces (women's and men's 15-16)
**Might have been somewhere else too not sure, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny you should bring up that brand... why no thread here about the current ghoulishness? Interesting given the direct intersection with Ye himself.
Because as far as I can tell nobody on SF wears Balenciaga and most posters find Denma to be kind of a fashion troll and not a designer they care about. Considering the brand has been sucking up all the oxygen in fashion for like the last 5 years I don't think there has ever been much discussion of it here.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
65020655-11478639-In_an_Instagram_statement_on_Monday_Balenciaga_once_again_double-a-9_1669664319963.jpg

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first one is (IMHO) a banal winkwink ref to the oft noticed passionate love/hate relationship children have with their stuffed animals and how adults can project their own human foibles into that (not the same as being a sicko just in case) but, once again, no point in not removing it, it wasn't high art needing to be protected. The second one is an apparently normal shoot but with some barely hidden refs that can add up to a disturbing whole.

Sounds like you are breaking your back in trying very hard to play very dumb.

... I believe somebody got cheeky, not that there is an actual Balenciaga QAnon-style conspiracy.

Of course, there's absolutely no possibility there could ever be!! After all, they were merely only promoting child abuse, they would surely never actually condone it! (Also, very interesting use of the word cheeky).

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anecdotes being singularly worthless and all, my wife had a pair of Balenciaga slides on her XMas list that she promptly took off. She's not really into the news cycle, but definitely went from someone who liked the brand to someone who doesn't.

Having a 2.5 year old daughter likely influences this.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Anecdotes being singularly worthless and all, my wife had a pair of Balenciaga slides on her XMas list that she promptly took off. She's not really into the news cycle, but definitely went from someone who liked the brand to someone who doesn't.

Having a 2.5 year old daughter likely influences this.

I'm going to go out on a limb* here and posit that large brands** generally want to avoid being associated with Nazis and p3dophiles.

*Like in a Borremans painting
**A smaller brand can target really niche and socially unacceptable demographics, see Thor Steinar

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

This kind of sensationalist,misleading bullshit is why you shouldn't post dailymail articles. This is the rough equivalent of saying "El Prado museum features paintings by Spanish Francisco Goya known to depict acts of inter-generational cannibalism, witches Sabbath and the result of incest." I mean they have the black paintings over there and he sure painted a lot of Spanish aristocrats but to summarize his work and the Prado's collection like that is intentionally misleading to an extreme degree.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This kind of sensationalist,misleading bullshit is why you shouldn't post dailymail articles. This is the rough equivalent of saying "El Prado museum features paintings by Spanish Francisco Goya known to depict acts of inter-generational cannibalism, witches Sabbath and the result of incest." I mean they have the black paintings over there and he sure painted a lot of Spanish aristocrats but to summarize his work and the Prado's collection like that is intentionally misleading to an extreme degree.

But they have cool pics!

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm trying to get context on Borremans' work but whatever it is, right now it's being overshadowed by this issue with Balenciaga. Because if Borremans himself is such a despicable guy, I'm surprised Jun Takahashi didn't get flak for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads