• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discussions about the fashion industry thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
this is the coolest cat tee

EgU6D3MUwAAAopw.jpeg

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some chat previously about microfiber pollution. New study on laundering compares various materials.
Abe from Outlier tweeted out a link to the story.

Interesting that they included natural fibres in the study as most reportage in the media has seemingly ignored that category of material.

"Higher fiber losses from cotton compared to polyester textiles during laundry has been reported in two recent studies [17, 43]. Others have attributed the differences to the fuzz formation tendencies of polyester and cotton fibers, with high yarn hairiness and low yarn breaking strength for cotton fibers [17]. Although natural fibers are subject to microbial degradation in wastewater treatment plants and the environment [17], their recent detection in remote ocean compartments [44, 45] highlights the need for additional research into the ultimate distribution and fate of natural fibers in the environment."

The positive news is that a washing machine water filter looks like it could reduce apparel microfibres getting into the water supply in a significant way.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think he may have turned things around with Donda. Jesus is King and Ye were flops, at least compared to the previous three albums. But I think the reception has been very positive for Donda.

I can't really get into the Donda stuff, but I think I'm in the minority.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kind of fell off on Kanye after 808 & Heartbreak and haven't really paid attention to his music that much since.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I sincerely hope this guy is wrong

It was the seat of global financial power for a long time.

That's a hell of a run.

But the world is changing.

The idea that New York City will last forever is Nassim Taleb's turkey fallacy:

"Consider a turkey that is fed every day.

Every single feeding will firm up the bird's belief that it is the general rule of life to be fed every day by friendly members of the human race 'looking out for its best interests,' as a politician would say.

On the afternoon of the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, something unexpected will happen to the turkey. It will incur a revision of belief."

Almost a year to the dot to these "NYC is dead" takes, a Supreme train pulls into the station.

Thank you God ? NYC is back ??

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm Facebook friends with Mitch Gambert... he was part of a family-owned custom shirting business in New Jersey. He posted this on his page last week, and it's garnered some interesting discussions. These are his words and pictures....

I'm curious for public opinion here on two related topics...

▪︎The first, today I was in a train station with a store called America, every product had patriotic themed stuff, but I didn't see a single thing with a Made in USA label??? Thoughts? And don't tell me we don't have the infrastructure to produce here....

▪︎Second topic, I was in a store looking at shirts and came across one with the label reading "Designed in NYC" but the shirt was made in China... Does anyone care where a product is designed? Does this seem a little deceptive to anyone? Does anyone care where it's actually made?

Did you know in the 1960's 95% of clothes sold the USA were made in the USA, by the 1990's that number was around 60%, and today that number is around 2%

236834929_10158472642316801_4643034006080990607_n.jpeg

236958586_10158472642411801_7822139066299098703_n.jpeg

237697687_10158472642496801_6041312132817581163_n.jpeg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, didn't Apple go "designed in California" or something like that...?

based on two second look this is mostly "cheap" stuff, so I would assume made in America just doesn't work price wise, so ?‍♂️

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Probably also a function of the item. USA-branded merchandise tends to be on cheap commodity items, such as t-shirts, sweatshirts, and plastic cups. You don't see screaming eagles and flying American flags on suits and outerwear (for the most part).

Cheap commodities are more likely to get offshored because they're simpler to sew and businesses run on high volume. The profit margins are lower. Among the factories that have remained in the US, many of them specialize in more complicated garment production, as they can justify the higher wage.

An aside, I was re-watching the "Black Jeopardy" skit on SNL last night, and thought to myself: "Tom Hanks' shirt is kinda cool"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics